New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am
Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am

I know he’s specifically talking about late at night but he’s a good, knowledgeable, intelligent and pragmatic guy so I’ve no reason to doubt him.
Superchargers are available 24/7 so late at night is not going to be a specific issue in itself. I'm just wondering why his car should have a flat battery in the first place when pottering around late at night. The only time I need Superchargers is when I'm nowhere near home or a convenient destination charger. I'm not saying he doesn't have a specific issue, but it doesn't sound like typical car usage.
Typical it probably isn't on these occasions. For example long periods waiting for meetings end and having to keep warm in the car. Winter driving with EVERYTHING on. And then an adhoc change of plan without any chance of sourcing a convenient charger.

But maybe not so untypical for reps etc. It strikes me that currently EVs are perfectly OK if you know where your going and when your coming back. But sudden deviations can cause issues - particularly in winter

And having some knowledge of the 'rep' culture I'm not sure either that the fiscal argument would win out maybe that often over model bragging rights. No one ever went broke underestimating peoples taste. A few evocative letters after a model type can do wonders for some egos. And a happy employee....
I agree, if you suddenly have to radically change your plan you could potentially get caught out. I had one close shave when I accidentally forgot to plug my car in overnight (sod's law before a big day out). That meant I had to stop at the local Supercharger for a top-up. That would have been no big deal except there was a traffic jam on the motorway leading up the services (which cost me an additional 20 mins). But then I've had similar things happen with petrol and literally had to glide into filling stations running on fumes. In normal driving these situations are rare and I'm now 27k miles into the EV experience with no problems at all. Overall it has been significantly MORE convenient for my use, which is fairly typical short, medium range driving (15k miles per annum). Long trips do need a tiny bit more planning for charging stops, but nothing major (at least not with Tesla)

As for "rep" culture, I expect a Tesla M3P would be considered pretty cool (especially in techy circles) and certainly draw more attention than all the sheep in Audi Tdis. Might not work quite so well for "David Brent" stereotypes though :lol: Seriously though, Teslas are pretty cool cars and they draw a lot more positive attention than any Porsche 911 I've owned. Not that I particularly care, but I was surprised how many people take a second look and young kids are all over them, which says something about the future mindset. Basically if you want to impress on the school run, you really do need a Model X :lol:

Deleted User 1874

Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am When I was in business an EV would have been totally unsuitable because of range and charging points. I would have hated to phone a customer to tell them I was charging my car and I'll be an hour late. Also, EV's can't handle the unexpected long trip. It's fine for me now but not back in the day when I almost lived in my car sometimes. Got a lot of goodies from Texaco etc. :D
But who really wants to live like this? This culture is likely to die off and that will only be to the benefit of the next generation.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:46 am
Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am
Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Superchargers are available 24/7 so late at night is not going to be a specific issue in itself. I'm just wondering why his car should have a flat battery in the first place when pottering around late at night. The only time I need Superchargers is when I'm nowhere near home or a convenient destination charger. I'm not saying he doesn't have a specific issue, but it doesn't sound like typical car usage.
Typical it probably isn't on these occasions. For example long periods waiting for meetings end and having to keep warm in the car. Winter driving with EVERYTHING on. And then an adhoc change of plan without any chance of sourcing a convenient charger.

But maybe not so untypical for reps etc. It strikes me that currently EVs are perfectly OK if you know where your going and when your coming back. But sudden deviations can cause issues - particularly in winter

And having some knowledge of the 'rep' culture I'm not sure either that the fiscal argument would win out maybe that often over model bragging rights. No one ever went broke underestimating peoples taste. A few evocative letters after a model type can do wonders for some egos. And a happy employee....
I agree, if you suddenly have to radically change your plan you could potentially get caught out. I had one close shave when I accidentally forgot to plug my car in overnight (sod's law before a big day out). That meant I had to stop at the local Supercharger for a top-up. That would have been no big deal except there was a traffic jam on the motorway leading up the services (which cost me an additional 20 mins). But then I've had similar things happen with petrol and literally had to glide into filling stations running on fumes. In normal driving these situations are rare and I'm now 27k miles into the EV experience with no problems at all. Overall it has been significantly MORE convenient for my use, which is fairly typical short, medium range driving (15k miles per annum). Long trips do need a tiny bit more planning for charging stops, but nothing major (at least not with Tesla)

As for "rep" culture, I expect a Tesla M3P would be considered pretty cool (especially in techy circles) and certainly draw more attention than all the sheep in Audi Tdis. Might not work quite so well for "David Brent" stereotypes though :lol: Seriously though, Teslas are pretty cool cars and they draw a lot more positive attention than any Porsche 911 I've owned. Not that I particularly care, but I was surprised how many people take a second look and young kids are all over them, which says something about the future mindset. Basically if you want to impress on the school run, you really do need a Model X :lol:

I wouldn't right off the 'David Brent' brigade especially given Tesla's coming ability to fart at offending pedestrians and cyclists. :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am When I was in business an EV would have been totally unsuitable because of range and charging points. I would have hated to phone a customer to tell them I was charging my car and I'll be an hour late. Also, EV's can't handle the unexpected long trip. It's fine for me now but not back in the day when I almost lived in my car sometimes. Got a lot of goodies from Texaco etc. :D
But who really wants to live like this? This culture is likely to die off and that will only be to the benefit of the next generation.
Nobody including me wanted to live like that but it put food on the table. Who wants to sit on crowded roads for hours? Who wants to have to drive to anywhere only using 10% of the potential performance of their cars? It's called life.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Latest news from Autocar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-porsche-macan-ev-get-taycan-platform-and-tech

So current ICE Macan (probably mk3 with perhaps a fancy new dash to match the EV version) will still be available alongside the new EV Macan in 2021.

Question is, would you still buy it over the new EV version :?:
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
Deleted User 1874

Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am
Nobody including me wanted to live like that but it put food on the table. Who wants to sit on crowded roads for hours? Who wants to have to drive to anywhere only using 10% of the potential performance of their cars? It's called life.
It's called "life choice" actually.

All I'm saying is that this kind of working culture is likely to die off for all the obvious reasons, so range will become less of an inherent issue for most. Even today, a significant number of people (probably in the millions) could comfortably manage with a 200-300 mile EV, even if they don't actually realise it. Some might have to change their driving habits a little (like actually taking sensible breaks every 200 miles or so), but otherwise it can be done without any real hassle and in many cases it can even be less hassle (certainly is for me). Before anyone else states the bleeding obvious, there are also millions who would struggle to charge an EV locally at home or at work. So EVs are not currently suitable for everyone, but the current take-up is way short of its potential for many [not-so-good] reasons.
JBA

Post by JBA »

I could be wrong but I think Porsche have made a massive strategic mistake in investing so much faith and money in electric vehicles.

The technology for BEVs is neither game changing or free market driven, despite the marketing and media hype.

For example, the CD was a game changer in the music industry because it was immediately superior to vinyl records (better quality, reliable sound, cheaper to produce, compact and versatile compsted to vinyl) . Effectively the consumer had all the benefits of vinyl and more thanks to CD technology. Therefore the market embraced this technology. Of course there remains strong retro interest in vinyl.
However I can't imagine similar with BEVs, hence why I think they will fail unless breakthrough, game changing ( not slowly evolving) technology sweeps away all the aforementioned issues on this thread.

If you add to this some scepticism and scientific counter arguments which seem to be sneaking in to challenge the current man made global warming theory (not hekped by Extinction Rebellion's cultish support), and it could result in some cracks forming on the road to BEV dominance.
Anyway that's just my view. And I am a petrol head!😂😊
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

JBA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 pm I could be wrong but I think Porsche have made a massive strategic mistake in investing so much faith and money in electric vehicles.

The technology for BEVs is neither game changing or free market driven, despite the marketing and media hype.

For example, the CD was a game changer in the music industry because it was immediately superior to vinyl records (better quality, reliable sound, cheaper to produce, compact and versatile compsted to vinyl) . Effectively the consumer had all the benefits of vinyl and more thanks to CD technology. Therefore the market embraced this technology. Of course there remains strong retro interest in vinyl.
However I can't imagine similar with BEVs, hence why I think they will fail unless breakthrough, game changing ( not slowly evolving) technology sweeps away all the aforementioned issues on this thread.

If you add to this some scepticism and scientific counter arguments which seem to be sneaking in to challenge the current man made global warming theory (not hekped by Extinction Rebellion's cultish support), and it could result in some cracks forming on the road to BEV dominance.
James Dyson seems to agree - Dyson has scrapped its electric car project https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50004184
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
johnd

Post by johnd »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:00 am James Dyson seems to agree - Dyson has scrapped its electric car project https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50004184
Isn't that because he finally realised that an upstart like Dyson could not compete with the massive resources that established car makers like VW Group are able to throw at EVs? I don't think Dyson ever intended to play in the mass market anyway - his EV was targeted at a high-end niche but one which was not being ignored by other makers. It was a pretty odd-looking design in my eyes at least, at least on paper - a brave design some might say, which maybe also didn't play well at preliminary customer clinics.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
JBA

Post by JBA »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:00 am
JBA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 pm I could be wrong but I think Porsche have made a massive strategic mistake in investing so much faith and money in electric vehicles.

James Dyson seems to agree - Dyson has scrapped its electric car project https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50004184
Very interesting Sac 1. I think it's a wise move from Dyson. I really hope Porsche realise that there is still plenty of potential with ICE technology and are similarly brave enough to stick to their strengths.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024