New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:07 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:42 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am

It's called "life choice" actually.

All I'm saying is that this kind of working culture is likely to die off for all the obvious reasons, so range will become less of an inherent issue for most. Even today, a significant number of people (probably in the millions) could comfortably manage with a 200-300 mile EV, even if they don't actually realise it. Some might have to change their driving habits a little (like actually taking sensible breaks every 200 miles or so), but otherwise it can be done without any real hassle and in many cases it can even be less hassle (certainly is for me). Before anyone else states the bleeding obvious, there are also millions who would struggle to charge an EV locally at home or at work. So EVs are not currently suitable for everyone, but the current take-up is way short of its potential for many [not-so-good] reasons.

Actually it wasn't a 'Life choice' it was a necessity if I wanted a decent standard of living for my family. I can never see the practice of people visiting people either for business or leisure.Did Brexit get done over the phone? Also, what about the Police and other emergency services? having to stop for a couple of hours to recharge isn't an option if you're chasing someone. Range will always be an issue until the energy source can be replenished as quickly and conveniently as fossil fuels which is why a battery swap is the only option too date.
I'm not trying to say that nobody will ever have range issues. I'm saying that it will become less important for a larger and larger number of people as communications and working practices evolve. Even 10 years ago we were using video conferencing with our key partners instead of flying to Germany every week. I know several engineering consultancies that now work from connected virtual home offices. Things change and get more efficient. You have to look at it from the perspective of the next generation, not your own. They will probably think we were all bonkers!
Ironically traffic is increasing and predicted to do so at some rate until about 2035 when the rate of increase will begin to slow. This increase could be as much as 50 %. And equally ironically increases are driven (no pun intended) by lower costs and better roads. (No incentive for road improvements, then). So it looks like improving communications technology may for some while be more of an aid to those who drive for work rather than as a method of reducing the need to travel. Maybe airborne taxis will be the answer?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm I don't do finance - cash is king as a private buyer.

There are always exceptions. For example Sandero from £6,125 v Zoe from £21,920. Which would the least expensive in whole life costs. :ugeek: :lol:
Why is cash king?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tracky wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm I don't do finance - cash is king as a private buyer.

There are always exceptions. For example Sandero from £6,125 v Zoe from £21,920. Which would be the lleast expensive in whole life costs. :ugeek: :lol:
Why is cash king?
Avoids the expensive finance charges
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I’d like to throw in an issue with electric cars that I am seeing with my own now

We have a 3 year old leaf which we have done 27k miles in

When we first got it, a full charge would show approx 130 miles of range. Now, it is showing roughly 100 miles of range.

That is a big drop in such young car. So glad this on a disposal car on pcp which I will just chuck back, finance is upside down too at end of term

How would i feel if my £150l taycan was in excess of 20% worn out after such a short time and low mileage ?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 pm

There are always exceptions. For example Sandero from £6,125 v Zoe from £21,920. Which would be the lleast expensive in whole life costs. :ugeek: :lol:
Why is cash king?
Depends on what discount you can achieve which is generally higher with finance in the equation.

Then pay it off shortly afterwards with your ‘cash ‘
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Tracky wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:35 pm I’d like to throw in an issue with electric cars that I am seeing with my own now

When we first got it, a full charge would show approx 130 miles of range. Now, it is showing roughly 100 miles of range.

That is a big drop in such young car. So glad this on a disposal car on pcp which I will just chuck back, finance is upside down too at end of term

How would i feel if my £150l taycan was in excess of 20% worn out after such a short time and low mileage ?
I think this issue, well known recharcheables, has not dawned yet on most people. It's bound to affect used sales ultimately. It's also one of the reasons I think fuel cell technology will eventually take over.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tracky wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:36 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Why is cash king?
Depends on what discount you can achieve which is generally higher with finance in the equation.

Then pay it off shortly afterwards with your ‘cash ‘
Totally agree and have done this myself with BMWs and Mercedes etc.....but not possible with Porsche who usually stick with RRP and an above average rate of interest charge.
Steve

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tracky wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:35 pm I’d like to throw in an issue with electric cars that I am seeing with my own now

Depreciation is the biggest cost. EVs generally have a poor residual value and higher insurance costs too compared to ICE vehicles..
Steve

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 am

I think this issue, well known recharcheables, has not dawned yet on most people. It's bound to affect used sales ultimately. It's also one of the reasons I think fuel cell technology will eventually take over.
FC. Long term [10 to 20 years time?] I agree.
Steve

johnd

Post by johnd »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 am I think this issue, well known recharcheables, has not dawned yet on most people.
Isn't that more to do with the fact that it's not true? (At least not to the extent in the example quoted here.)

Most batteries will lose a tiny (eg 3 to 5%) proportion of their capacity early on but thereafter and (provided the battery is not totally abused) any further decline is extremely slow and gradual. Virtually every EV maker guarantees that at least 70-75% capacity will remain at 8 years and that's widely regarded as being very pessimistic - where high mileage cars have been carefully checked they typically show 90+% capacity at 100,000 miles.

If the example quoted here is confirmed then that sounds like an issue to be resolved under warranty with Nissan (who it has to be said, don't have the best reputation for their battery technology).
It's bound to affect used sales ultimately. It's also one of the reasons I think fuel cell technology will eventually take over.
Most unlikely (for EVs at least) - there are just too many issues and drawbacks.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly