New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

On-Track wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 am
bennachie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm We (UK) DO NOT have the generating capacity for EV, hell we don't have the capacity for a cold winter...................
+1. It only took a lightning strike to destabalise the grid and cause short term chaos. In the "good old days" of the CEGB there was 25% spare capacity, now it's around4%. Because of the high proportion of renewables as a source of supply, the grid is less resiliant in the face of short term demand fluctuations.
Total grid demand has been falling year on year for at least a decade now as homes and businesses have become more energy efficient. This trend is likely to continue for some time as many homes and businesses could still do a lot more to reduce their energy consumption. I think the peak demand occurred sometime in the mid 2000s and has been falling ever since. The increased take-up of EVs will offset this trend, but it can and is being planned for. EV demand is also mostly off-peak when spare capacity is at its highest. Overall it will lead to a more efficient use of total energy than the current split between electricity and fossil fuel burning.

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

There was a programme on BBC, ironically called Rip Off Britin. Which one day was about EV's. All the problems associated with charging and range were highlighted. There was one guy who had purchased an all EV, and was so frustrated with it all, he sold it and went back to an ICE model.
As time goes on I'm sure it will vastly improve, but IMO it's not fully there yet.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am
The Taycan looks great but £115K for the base model and then another god knows how many thousands in extras to drive a Porsche that sounds like a milk float on warp speed? No thanks.
Just to point out that £115k is not the base model. It’s the Turbo, so near the top of the tree. The next Taycan to be launched is likely to be the 4S. When the ‘base model’ Taycan is launched, I expect that to be about two thirds of the price of the Turbo. ;)
Apologies, I should have been clearer in saying that I meant the cheapest available model.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
johnd

Post by johnd »

On-Track wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 am +1. It only took a lightning strike to destabalise the grid and cause short term chaos. In the "good old days" of the CEGB there was 25% spare capacity, now it's around4%. Because of the high proportion of renewables as a source of supply, the grid is less resiliant in the face of short term demand fluctuations.
I wouldn't disagree with that view. Ideally I think everyone would be more comfortable if the grid had more reserve capacity, but that's to do with grid management and economics, plus an adequate base load capacity (which in practice these days means nuclear). But that also means somewhat/slightly higher-priced electricity which most people baulk at. Most folk don't want to pay the cost of insurance for the electricity supply.

But the point is that it's very little to do with EV take-up. EVs, even if extensively used, simply won't consume a large chunk of the nation's electricity supply - just do some research on the numbers. How much spare generating capacity there should be is a quite separate issue.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Bazza06 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:48 am
The Taycan looks great but £115K for the base model and then another god knows how many thousands in extras to drive a Porsche that sounds like a milk float on warp speed? No thanks.
Just to point out that £115k is not the base model. It’s the Turbo, so near the top of the tree. The next Taycan to be launched is likely to be the 4S. When the ‘base model’ Taycan is launched, I expect that to be about two thirds of the price of the Turbo. ;)
Apologies, I should have been clearer in saying that I meant the cheapest available model.
👍 :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

PaulR wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 am
Panthera wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am So current ICE Macan (probably mk3 with perhaps a fancy new dash to match the EV version) will still be available alongside the new EV Macan in 2021.
This seems to be causing much confusion, but the current Macan is the mark 1. The next Macan, the all-electric model, is the mark 2. The existing mark 1 Macan will be sold alongside the upcoming mark 2 for a few years.

The existing mark 1 Macan had a facelift last year. Porsche may (or may not) give the mark 1 another facelift given its lifetime is going to be a few years longer than usual. Even if it does get a facelift, it will be just as small as last year's facelift. Ultimately meaning the mark 1 ICE and mark 2 all-electric Macans will look significantly different.
No confusion. This is the nomenclature folks on here use to differentiate the Macan 2014-2018 model (mk1) and the 2019+ model (mk2). Agreed the EV Macan will look different to the current ICE Macan but if they're both called Macan that will be truly odd. Maybe the EV Macan will have a different name
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Have followed the EV pros & cons perspectives with interest. My take is that eventually (10 to 15 years) ICE powered vehicles will no longer be manufactured in Europe, replaced primarily with EV power and to a smaller degree hydrogen - until Back to the Future "Mr Fusion" technology is available :P The related infrastructure will be delivered as the drive to tackle climate change ramps up. Besides, car ownership is likely to become defunct as you'll be able to call-up a self-driving car from your Uber app on demand :D
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Bazza06 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:48 am
Are things about to change?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/taycan/108151/porsche-taycan-line-up-expands-with-new-287-mile-taycan-4s
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am

But who really wants to live like this? This culture is likely to die off and that will only be to the benefit of the next generation.
Nobody including me wanted to live like that but it put food on the table. Who wants to sit on crowded roads for hours? Who wants to have to drive to anywhere only using 10% of the potential performance of their cars? It's called life.
It's called "life choice" actually.

All I'm saying is that this kind of working culture is likely to die off for all the obvious reasons, so range will become less of an inherent issue for most. Even today, a significant number of people (probably in the millions) could comfortably manage with a 200-300 mile EV, even if they don't actually realise it. Some might have to change their driving habits a little (like actually taking sensible breaks every 200 miles or so), but otherwise it can be done without any real hassle and in many cases it can even be less hassle (certainly is for me). Before anyone else states the bleeding obvious, there are also millions who would struggle to charge an EV locally at home or at work. So EVs are not currently suitable for everyone, but the current take-up is way short of its potential for many [not-so-good] reasons.

Actually it wasn't a 'Life choice' it was a necessity if I wanted a decent standard of living for my family. I can never see the practice of people visiting people either for business or leisure.Did Brexit get done over the phone? Also, what about the Police and other emergency services? having to stop for a couple of hours to recharge isn't an option if you're chasing someone. Range will always be an issue until the energy source can be replenished as quickly and conveniently as fossil fuels which is why a battery swap is the only option too date.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:42 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Nobody including me wanted to live like that but it put food on the table. Who wants to sit on crowded roads for hours? Who wants to have to drive to anywhere only using 10% of the potential performance of their cars? It's called life.
It's called "life choice" actually.

All I'm saying is that this kind of working culture is likely to die off for all the obvious reasons, so range will become less of an inherent issue for most. Even today, a significant number of people (probably in the millions) could comfortably manage with a 200-300 mile EV, even if they don't actually realise it. Some might have to change their driving habits a little (like actually taking sensible breaks every 200 miles or so), but otherwise it can be done without any real hassle and in many cases it can even be less hassle (certainly is for me). Before anyone else states the bleeding obvious, there are also millions who would struggle to charge an EV locally at home or at work. So EVs are not currently suitable for everyone, but the current take-up is way short of its potential for many [not-so-good] reasons.

Actually it wasn't a 'Life choice' it was a necessity if I wanted a decent standard of living for my family. I can never see the practice of people visiting people either for business or leisure.Did Brexit get done over the phone? Also, what about the Police and other emergency services? having to stop for a couple of hours to recharge isn't an option if you're chasing someone. Range will always be an issue until the energy source can be replenished as quickly and conveniently as fossil fuels which is why a battery swap is the only option too date.
I'm not trying to say that nobody will ever have range issues. I'm saying that it will become less important for a larger and larger number of people as communications and working practices evolve. Even 10 years ago we were using video conferencing with our key partners instead of flying to Germany every week. I know several engineering consultancies that now work from connected virtual home offices. Things change and get more efficient. You have to look at it from the perspective of the next generation, not your own. They will probably think we were all bonkers!