Help! Vibration noise to escalated to Porsche Germany

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dubeva

Post by Dubeva »

Hi folks

For the last two months+ my macan S diesel has been to Porsche 7 times due to a vibration noise when starting the car from a warm temperature. The noise is loud inside and outside of the car. Porsche can hear it and have attempted to fix everything from the flywheel to a burst piston seal. Each time they return the car to me thinking they have fixed it, but the noise is still there.

I’ve become increasingly frustrated with their lack of customer care, from not picking my car up when agreed, to fitting a faulty flywheel (the noise was awful!), the manager not calling me when agreed, forgetting to put my husband on the insurance of the courtesy car etc etc.

Today, after I called to chase up the findings of this seventh consecutive visit to the garage, they have told me that they ran another macan S to do a comparative assessment. Apparently this macan S makes the same noise at the same temperature. The manager has now escalated videos of both cars to Porsche Germany to see if this is “normal”. I am now waiting to hear back from them, fearing the dreaded words “this is a normal noise, there is nothing more we can do”.

Has anyone experienced anything similar from Porsche? I’ve only had the car 6months. I’m really disappointed and starting to worry I’ve bought a faulty vehicle.

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thank you

Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Hi,
I have a 2015 SD [bought from new] which has done 33K and no such issues, I can never understand how cars built on a production line with all the same parts can have odd issues and faults
Did you buy yours second hand? where from?

just had 4 year full service [not with OPC] plus PDK and transfer box oil change and must say it is running very sweetly
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
Dubeva

Post by Dubeva »

Hi, mine is also a 2015, bought from Porsche Cambridge. I’m dealing with a local Porsche centre in Scotland now (where I live).

Thanks for commenting that you don’t have this issue, it just adds to my thoughts that there is something clearly wrong with the car. I will try to see if I can upload a video of the noise...

Still waiting to hear back from Porsche this morning...
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Hi,
Yes agreed, I have been on this forum for years and it is the first time I have heard of the issue you have, there is a fault and they need to correct it, don't be fobbed of, how long have you had it? is it under their warranty still?
Video would be good
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Just to add, to dispel the notion that this is normal, I also owned a Macan S D for 21,500 miles and never experienced the same issue.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Dubeva wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 am Hi, mine is also a 2015, bought from Porsche Cambridge. I’m dealing with a local Porsche centre in Scotland now (where I live).

Thanks for commenting that you don’t have this issue, it just adds to my thoughts that there is something clearly wrong with the car. I will try to see if I can upload a video of the noise...

Still waiting to hear back from Porsche this morning...
I have purchased 2 x new Porsche's from separate Porsche dealerships in Scotland, and had issues with them both, as far as I am aware there are only four, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Perth, which one are you dealing with if you don't mind me asking?

We are now dealing with Porsche UK with my latest purchase, for a premium brand their customer service/care is shocking, the worst of any car dealership I have encountered by far!
Once you have parted with your cash they don't seem to give a dam.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Dubeva

Post by Dubeva »

Hello

Thanks very much for the messages. I've had the car for around 6months, and I've been dealing with Porsche Glasgow. I bought the car used approved from Cambridge with a 2year warranty. Anyway, my worst fears were confirmed this afternoon, I received an email from Porsche Glasgow today advising the following:

"Porsche Car’s Great Britain Limited’s Technical Department that the noise heard from your Porsche Macan under certain circumstances is in fact not a fault but a characteristic of the vehicle under those circumstances, the simplest way to explain what is happening is that the noise is created by a momentary deflection of the engines auxiliary drive belt when the engine RPM lowers and releases the tension from the belt, this causes a brief oscillation of the belt and is exacerbated by the higher temperature in the engine when it is at operating temperature, when a vehicle is operating the engine RPM increases and decreases while driving, also during start up, taking away from a standstill and moving up through the gears puts additional load on the belt, the reason for the deflection is when engine RPM is increased by any amount the belt is put under load and stretched slightly as the “driving pulley” pulls the belt around the driven pulleys, when the RPM reduces so does the tension on the belt, in effect the driving “pressure” is reduced and the driven pulleys “catch up”, it is at this point the oscillation in the belt occurs and the noise is generated."

Clearly I am seriously not impressed. I cannot believe that every Macan S Diesel has this same noise...surely someone on here would have complained about this before?! I responded saying this was unacceptable and that I needed the details of customer services (they've given me UK details, can I take this higher?), and that I was extremely disappointed in the service I had received. I got a really long email response outlining more info as follows:

"your issue is quite obscure and has not been experienced previously by my technical staff which is where our difficulty lay in getting to the bottom of it, that said we have replaced a number of components in an effort to eradicate the noise you have complained about but to no avail."

"we have tested your vehicle to the point where can evidence that the noise is directly attributable to the auxiliary belt, we have removed the drive belt and the noise has ceased, when the belt has been refitted the noise has returned, it is a new belt that has been installed at a previous visit so we know that the belt is serviceable, we have also compared your Macan back to back with other vehicles which all exhibit the same characteristics, we have recorded our findings and sent them to Porsche Cars Technical with an explanation as to what we considered was the cause of the noise and requested their opinion, they have concluded that the noise is not a fault."

Anyone offer any views on this?

Thanks alot
Dubeva

Post by Dubeva »

Link to a video of the noise. It is the vibration after start-up. It is even more evident when you are in and around the car:

(had to upload to youtube and I cant upload a movie file directly)
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

”We are now dealing with Porsche UK with my latest purchase, for a premium brand their customer service/care is shocking, the worst of any car dealership I have encountered by far!
Once you have parted with your cash they don't seem to give a dam.“

I totally agree with you regarding Porsche UK customer service, having recently purchased a Porsche approved used Macan and having a few issues with the dealership l contacted Porsche UK and to be honest I got absolutely no help nor resolution to any of my issues.

As far as the reply from Glasgow Porsche regarding the vibration issue stating it is a characteristic of the car I would never accept that ( I have been involved in the motor industry on and off 30 years) .
Unfortunately I don’t know where you go from here ?
Maybe try an independent garage and get some sort report from them ?
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Hi Dubeva,

I do have a very similar sound which occurs e.g. when stopping the car at a traffic light. Until now I believed the sound is comming from the clutches or from transfer case. Now hearing your sound and Porsches explanation I am wondering if this could be the belt.

I do have now 45000 miles on my car and the more I get the more noises I hear. One is e.g. the ticking of the diesel injectors which is getting louder and louder.

On one hand I believe older engines simply get louder on the other hand there is always the question which sound is the sign of an upcoming broken part.

I guess only a good mechanic with deep expert knowledge is able to distinguish those.