Headlight glare annoying others

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Macan forum

Post by Macan forum »

I’ve been driving my Macan for almost 3 years now and usually leave the lights on ‘auto.’

For the first time this week, I’ve noticed other drivers irritated by the headlights (I’m not tailgating) and have flashed their lights after I’ve overtaken. This was in fairly gloomy conditions on the m40 in the morning. I do a lot of motorway driving and as mentioned, it hasn’t happened before. They weren’t on full beam or using ‘dynamic high beam.’

So doubt is in my mind - are the lights faulty or is this just other drivers bothered by bright lights? Interestingly all 3 were in BMWs so in fairly low driving positions.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Apologies if covered before - I have searched previous threads without success.

RICH.P

Post by RICH.P »

Hi.
I used to get this when I first bought my Macan, but by oncoming cars.
Took it to my OPC and they adjusted the lights a bit lower as they said they were slightly high.
No more flashing from oncoming motorists.
Cheers.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mine were a little bit high so I adjusted them myself. It's quite easy to do with a hex socket behind each headlight. I parked up against a wall and marked with tape so that I knew where they'd started. I think it's even explained in the manual.

(EDIT: I just looked and it is in the manual. You just need a screwdriver or 6mm allen key.)
RAA

Post by RAA »

I've only had my 2019 Macan S for 5 months, and had a couple of on-coming drivers flash me; so i flashed them back in the hope they would realise I wasn't on full beam. Maybe the dipped beam could be adjusted a little lower.
pmg

Post by pmg »

RAA wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:52 am I've only had my 2019 Macan S for 5 months, and had a couple of on-coming drivers flash me; so i flashed them back in the hope they would realise I wasn't on full beam. Maybe the dipped beam could be adjusted a little lower.
What Guy says above is in the manual for pre 19 Macans ( i looked at 14 - 16 and 17 -18 LED manuals and it was present, [url]http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/127/Headlights-Adjusting-the-headlight-height[/url] ) appears not to be not present in Manual for post 19 Macans. I have yet to look at my car to see whether the adjustment facility is there but will do so this afternoon.

the previous page is also relevant

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/126/Headlights

I have been flashed now and again when on low beam.
Last edited by pmg on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

These days I find people flash me after I've overtaken them just because I've overtaken them in perfectly safe conditions. One or two actually drift out over the centre lines in an attempt to stop the overtake which I find quite bizarre let alone dangerous.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 am These days I find people flash me after I've overtaken them just because I've overtaken them in perfectly safe conditions. One or two actually drift out over the centre lines in an attempt to stop the overtake which I find quite bizarre let alone dangerous.
It must be a blue GTS thing - I often get the same. Interestingly, I can perform numerous overtakes in my Caterham and never get flashed.
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6
pmg

Post by pmg »

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:49 am
RAA wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:52 am I've only had my 2019 Macan S for 5 months, and had a couple of on-coming drivers flash me; so i flashed them back in the hope they would realise I wasn't on full beam. Maybe the dipped beam could be adjusted a little lower.
What Guy says above is in the manual for pre 19 Macans ( i looked at 14 - 16 and 17 -18 LED manuals and it was present, [url]http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/127/Headlights-Adjusting-the-headlight-height[/url] ) appears not to be not present in Manual for post 19 Macans. I have yet to look at my car to see whether the adjustment facility is there but will do so this afternoon.

the previous page is also relevant

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/126/Headlights

I have been flashed now and again when on low beam.

have now looked at my 2019 car. the Allan key adjustment receptors are present, despite no mention in 2019 manual.

I am out again in dark tonight and again on Monday. If I have chance tommorrrow I may adjust if I get a lot of flashes whilst on low beam tonight.
I think the surprise me about the advice in the earlier year's manuals is there is no mention of what "x" in this page should be set to just a mention of the offset against "x"

[urlhttp://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/126/Headlights][/url]
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Guy

Post by Guy »

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm I think the surprise me about the advice in the earlier year's manuals is there is no mention of what "x" in this page should be set to just a mention of the offset against "x"
'x' is the height of the centre of the headlamp lens (measured from the ground). It's variable according to suspension setting, and this same height should be marked on the wall (7.5m away) to be used as an reference for adjustment offset. Simples ;)