Macan v X4M

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scottchp

Post by Scottchp »

Before buying my GTS I considered an X4 and test drove a M40i. It was fast with little lag and the kit on the car is more generous than it used to be. ( I’ve had 9 BMW’s previously ). BMW are bundling options into packs now so the options list isn’t too big now and it’s easier to find a used car with the bits you want. The finish inside is decent, but not as good as Porsche. That said the tech in the BMW is more up to date and everything works flawlessly.
Maybe also worth considering you can have an X5 for £599pcm for a 30d M Sport. It’s a bigger car than the X3/X4 and much better appointed inside.
The big reason I left the brand was down to depreciation. It’s actually horrendous now.
I had a 2016 X6 40D M Sport ( 3 litre twin turbo with 313bhp ) with a £65k list price which I bought for £50k when 3 months old with 700 miles on clock. 2 years later with 16k on the clock I was getting trade in bids of less than £30k. Did manage to get £36k in the end but that’s still £14k off what I paid and imagine if I’d bought it new.....
Fun ICE car - TBC...I’m working on it!!
Daily Grunt - 2020 Peugeot e208 GT
SOLD - 2017 Macan GTS
Volcano Grey, Air, 21” Turbos, Pan Roof, Carbon Interior and a few more luxuries...

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Scottchp wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 am
The big reason I left the brand was down to depreciation. It’s actually horrendous now.
I had a 2016 X6 40D M Sport ( 3 litre twin turbo with 313bhp ) with a £65k list price which I bought for £50k when 3 months old with 700 miles on clock. 2 years later with 16k on the clock I was getting trade in bids of less than £30k. Did manage to get £36k in the end but that’s still £14k off what I paid and imagine if I’d bought it new.....
I'd say £14k over 2 years for an X6 is good going - a very marmite car... And the fact you were buying a £65k list for £50k as a barely used was probably all the clue you needed.

Not sure when you bought your GTS or whether new or used, but do you think you will get away with less than £14k depreciation over 2 years?

I bought my current BMW new and know (as its on PCP) that it will cost me £33k over 4 years, but that's OK - the equivalent Porsche would have been a lot more to buy and lost more in £ note terms over the same period (even if not as big a %age)...
Scottchp

Post by Scottchp »

Isleaiw wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pm
I'd say £14k over 2 years for an X6 is good going - a very marmite car... And the fact you were buying a £65k list for £50k as a barely used was probably all the clue you needed.

Not sure when you bought your GTS or whether new or used, but do you think you will get away with less than £14k depreciation over 2 years?

I bought my current BMW new and know (as its on PCP) that it will cost me £33k over 4 years, but that's OK - the equivalent Porsche would have been a lot more to buy and lost more in £ note terms over the same period (even if not as big a %age)...
I’m not too sure where GTS prices will be in a couple of years ( I only bought it in June ) as they have suffered a bit recently but hopefully should stabilise now, I guess I’ll be happy as long as I walk away with the money I put down on it at the outset. I had to work dealers hard to walk away from the X6 with less than £1k in equity to roll into an M140i ( bit of fun for a few months ) but again, a car with a £39k list which I bought for £29k with delivery miles was getting dealer bids of £21k when I was swapping it for the Macan after 11 months of ownership. BMW really need to review their list prices as they are simply laughable. It’s a bit like buying from a Sports Direct where everything is marked up as having a silly RRP then given a sales price which suggests they’re giving it away.
Maybe I should stop changing car so often too - that might help...🤣🤣
Although as I write that I currently have our Mini Cooper S advertised for sale as my better half has decided she wants a change too and I can’t really argue with her as I’m worse for it 😬
Fun ICE car - TBC...I’m working on it!!
Daily Grunt - 2020 Peugeot e208 GT
SOLD - 2017 Macan GTS
Volcano Grey, Air, 21” Turbos, Pan Roof, Carbon Interior and a few more luxuries...
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Scottchp wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 pm
Isleaiw wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pm

I’m not too sure where GTS prices will be in a couple of years ( I only bought it in June ) as they have suffered a bit recently but hopefully should stabilise now, I guess I’ll be happy as long as I walk away with the money I put down on it at the outset. I had to work dealers hard to walk away from the X6 with less than £1k in equity to roll into an M140i ( bit of fun for a few months ) but again, a car with a £39k list which I bought for £29k with delivery miles was getting dealer bids of £21k when I was swapping it for the Macan after 11 months of ownership. BMW really need to review their list prices as they are simply laughable. It’s a bit like buying from a Sports Direct where everything is marked up as having a silly RRP then given a sales price which suggests they’re giving it away.
Maybe I should stop changing car so often too - that might help...🤣🤣
Although as I write that I currently have our Mini Cooper S advertised for sale as my better half has decided she wants a change too and I can’t really argue with her as I’m worse for it 😬
I may just have made that point about silly list prices and crap residuals (v list price) in my 3 month customer satisfaction survey response to BMW...

You should have kept the 140i for the better half, and traded the Mini... she gets a new car, you get a new car and you save the hassle of swapping another later!
adam b

Post by adam b »

Scottchp wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 pm M140i ( bit of fun for a few months ) but again, a car with a £39k list which I bought for £29k with delivery miles was getting dealer bids of £21k when I was swapping it for the Macan after 11 months of ownership.
I don't really get the issue there - the dealer will want a 5k margin so it has really gone from 29 to 26k, the problem is you seem to be trading back to dealers who want a large margin.

No cars are immune - I bought my turbo for 54, its was 79 list, so it lost 25k in 2 years and 11k miles, the curve should flatten a bit from here (I hope) as I only do 3-4k miles per year. I bought privately and want to sell private too.
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
lgb1969

Post by lgb1969 »

I looked at the Alpina XD4 briefly when I was having a grump about Porsche dropping the oil burners.
50+mpg and all the speed and handling that you would expect - price wise you are pretty much between the GTS and Turbo - one things in their favour was that they are pretty scarce so you would think they would hold their value but deep down they are an X4 with huge rims so I decided to look at other options
MY20 Cayenne E-Hybrid S - Quartzite Grey Metal
MY17 Macan SD - Volcano Grey (Sold on)
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I believe that Dealers don't consider the resale value of cars as a profit making entity. They make their money flogging additional stuff like warranties and finance, especially finance as has been covered elsewhere on this forum. In the food chain of the motor trade you will have regional managers with targets to meet from the franchise holder viz a viz the number of units they register and the value of the add on's. The local bloke transfers this pressure to the shop floor so to speak. This is why certain models with certain companies are offered as pre-registered at a discount. I know some even lose money but they have received a bonus payment for hitting targets. Let's be honest, I'd say 95% of car buyers would know or care about the difference in ride and handling as long as they got a good deal. Naturally, this doesn't apply to forum members on here :lol: .
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.