Macan - such a rip off?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 pm And in three years it will be worth???
Our previous and fully loaded [spec wise] SEAT Leon FR lost just £8750 in 4 years. Less than £2.2k p.a. More than happy with that.

No way will my Macan loose that small an amount over 4 years, if I decide to keep it that long. I accept that the Macan will be a money pit :shock: and still think it's worth it. :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Seats rock !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

My missus abandoned her Q5 in a flood last week and the insurance have offered £15k to write it off. We've had it from new and it's over 7.5 years old, so in all, it has lost £27k or £3.6k pa. I'm gutted as it was our "do-it-all' dog, tip, holidays, towing, roof rack, not precious about it, car.

It is about the exact same loss my Macan has made in just 2 years. £65k new, about £38k now, so the Audi certainly served us better in that respect?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Tracky wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 pmSeats rock !
LOL. So just to be clear, the OP is comparing a Porsche with a Seat? That’s like comparing a Rolex with a Fossil, they both tell the time and probably are a similar spec, but you don’t hanker after a Fossil.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“LOL. So just to be clear, the OP is comparing a Porsche with a Seat? That’s like comparing a Rolex with a Fossil, they both tell the time and probably are a similar spec, but you don’t hanker after a Fossil.”

Very true, but the OP - in my view - is reallly just pointing out what we all know...... namely that we buy into badge snobbery a lot more than we tend to admit. Especially for what is, after all, just a SUV.... and one that is/was based on an old Audi Q5.

Given that robots build much of a car these days are we kidding ourselves that Porsche robots are so much better than SEAT robots? Are SEAT robots set up to deliberately to build SEATs to a few thou less tolerance simply so they don’t tread on Porsche toes? I doubt it. Is a Hyundai/Kia/whatever with a 5/7 year guarantee really so much more poorly built than a Porsche with a 3 year guarantee?

It is a case of you pay your money and you take your choice. In this case pay £30k ish for more toys in the SEAT or £60k ish and still end up with less toys in the Porker. Would I do it again? Probably!
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rigger wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:07 am “LOL. So just to be clear, the OP is comparing a Porsche with a Seat? That’s like comparing a Rolex with a Fossil, they both tell the time and probably are a similar spec, but you don’t hanker after a Fossil.”

Very true, but the OP - in my view - is reallly just pointing out what we all know...... namely that we buy into badge snobbery a lot more than we tend to admit. Especially for what is, after all, just a SUV.... and one that is/was based on an old Audi Q5.

Given that robots build much of a car these days are we kidding ourselves that Porsche robots are so much better than SEAT robots? Are SEAT robots set up to deliberately to build SEATs to a few thou less tolerance simply so they don’t tread on Porsche toes? I doubt it. Is a Hyundai/Kia/whatever with a 5/7 year guarantee really so much more poorly built than a Porsche with a 3 year guarantee?

It is a case of you pay your money and you take your choice. In this case pay £30k ish for more toys in the SEAT or £60k ish and still end up with less toys in the Porker. Would I do it again? Probably!
There is some truth in what you say, but Porsche assembly lines run much slower than those in true mass production facilities. Much of the extra cost in a Porsche goes into higher spec components and interiors.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Davidone

Post by Davidone »

All
Lets not kid ourselves ...........we all know we can better spec on many SUV's for a lot less money. We are all buying into the Kings new clothes system in a way.......do we care, NO. I guess we have all worked hard to enjoy the fruits of our labours, so just enjoy it whilst we all can
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Davidone wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 am All
Lets not kid ourselves ...........we all know we can better spec on many SUV's for a lot less money. We are all buying into the Kings new clothes system in a way.......do we care, NO. I guess we have all worked hard to enjoy the fruits of our labours, so just enjoy it whilst we all can
Exactly that. I’ve driven VW and BMW cars since 1990 and this is my first Porsche, you can’t argue with the engineering and luxury in comparison
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
adam b

Post by adam b »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:27 pm LOL. So just to be clear, the OP is comparing a Porsche with a Seat? That’s like comparing a Rolex with a Fossil, they both tell the time and probably are a similar spec, but you don’t hanker after a Fossil.
Not a great analogy, as the rolex costs twice and you have to spend another £2k to get a strap and £1k to get the little hand :)

It is an interesting exercise in how impressive the specs now are in lesser brands, and how much we pay for that badge snobbery in huge margin "must have" options
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

adam b wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am
Kleynie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:27 pm LOL. So just to be clear, the OP is comparing a Porsche with a Seat? That’s like comparing a Rolex with a Fossil, they both tell the time and probably are a similar spec, but you don’t hanker after a Fossil.
Not a great analogy, as the rolex costs twice and you have to spend another £2k to get a strap and £1k to get the little hand :)

It is an interesting exercise in how impressive the specs now are in lesser brands, and how much we pay for that badge snobbery in huge margin "must have" options
My Mazda had loads of options but was scrap by ten years old and under 100k miles.

Thirsty for a diesel too, I regret buying that; something I've never felt with a Porsche!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab