Recommendation for 18" winter tyres?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
cinders

Post by cinders »

Hey Guys,

I just picked up some 2nd hand 18" original macan alloys to whack on this winter with some winter tyres. I'm trying to find some tyres online at the moment. to go with them.

I read somewhere that they should be n-rated. Is there a list somewhere of Porsche approved n-rated winter tyres?

I found what seems like a great deal on some Michelin Latitude Alpins. It states in the small print "Homologated by Porsche Macan/Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Mercedes ML- Class/GLK" - does this mean they're N-rated?

Also, does it matter much if I use the same size on front and back? I was thinking of going with 235/65/18 on all four corners - at 165GBP / Corner they seem like a good deal.

Thanks in advance,
Cinders.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Sold by blackcircles.com. Good all season tyre and last a long time. N rated too.
Macan S D
718 S
cinders

Post by cinders »

Thanks buddy but I'm looking specifically for winter tyres for this set. I have a good set of summer tyres on the factory 21" alloys to go on in March/April.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

cinders wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am Hey Guys,

I just picked up some 2nd hand 18" original macan alloys to whack on this winter with some winter tyres. I'm trying to find some tyres online at the moment. to go with them.

I read somewhere that they should be n-rated. Is there a list somewhere of Porsche approved n-rated winter tyres?

I found what seems like a great deal on some Michelin Latitude Alpins. It states in the small print "Homologated by Porsche Macan/Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Mercedes ML- Class/GLK" - does this mean they're N-rated?

Also, does it matter much if I use the same size on front and back? I was thinking of going with 235/65/18 on all four corners - at 165GBP / Corner they seem like a good deal.

Thanks in advance,
Cinders.
Check here: https://files1.porsche.com/filestore/download/uk/none/porscheservice-tire-currentwintertires/default/a2ad050a-4b57-11e7-bfe2-0019999cd470/Overview-winter-tyres-current-vehicles.pdf

Check that any tyres you look at are actually marked with the N rating (It will be N0).

You MUST use the manufacturer recommended sizes all round. Apart from the safety aspect you wouldn't be insured and I doubt you could pursued an underwriter to accept them. Don't even think about it.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
cinders

Post by cinders »

NIck, thanks for the help! You're a credit to this forum!

I'll get some pics and specs posted of my new motor posted tomorrow morning. It's night time here. :)
Kennst4s

Post by Kennst4s »

Hi I’ve just bought some 18 Macan wheels.I could only find Pirelli Scorpion and Continental winter contact ,NO rated in the 235 and 255 sizes.I bought the Contis.
The wheels I bought were different widths front to back.Are yours because you then need different size tyres .
cinders

Post by cinders »

Kennst4s thanks, I just looked at the ebay listing and you're right.

I ordered these: Genuine 18" Porsche Macan S Alloy Wheels-Set of 4- 95B601025AR/AS- 8 & 9 INCH

Where did you get your Continental tyres from? Did you order online or locally?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

cinders wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance,
Cinders.
You can check the Porsche approved options here: http://tyreselector.porsche.com/widget/gb

For safety, handling, Type Approval, Porsche warranty, insurance etc use the correct combination of N-rated front and rear sizes for your 18" winter set.

Winter tyres in the UK are not generally stocked by the average GB tyre shop here, but can be obtained. The major online dealers have them Blackcircles, My Tyres [Delti.com] etc ex-stock.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

Agree, I just looked on Black Circles and My tyres. Of the two the latter was current in stock with Porsche approved Pirelli and Continentals sets in 18's for the Macan. I would not hang around. I have currently and in the past had winters from Continental and they have performed well reflecting their high position in reviews and tests

I would not hang around too long before purchasing. An issue I have had before with "winters" is that they make a supply at the end of autumn and once done and all sold no more are made for 12 months. I once picked up an unrepairable puncture on a winter tyre on a BMW. Fortunately, it was late March and I switched to my summer set but it was late October before I could replace the winter tyre
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Just put my 2nd hand 18" alloys with winter tyres on to the car this weekend. I've gone for the Pirelli Scorpion ones, have got the specified sizes and they are running well.

Make sure the tyres are put on to each wheel the right way, it obvs makes a difference when you have different sized wheels and directional specific tyres. Nearly caught my tyre guy out!
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019