Is wheel alignment check part of 111 point check ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Daman

Post by Daman »

Looking for some advice please
Our GTS underwent the 111 point check today in order to renew the warranty.
All was fine.
However the opc also carried out a complementary wheel alignment check and apparently the alignment needs correcting at a cost of £150 before they will let me buy a warranty, so I’m paying for 111 point check, wheel alignment, warranty and porsche assist.
Does anyone know whether this is correct or can I refuse the wheel realignment?
All tyres have even wear and the alignment was done 5000 miles ago when we purchased a new set of tyres.

VanB

Post by VanB »

Sounds like fairly typical Porsche Profiteering to me. No idea whether you can tell them to stuff it but you can certainly query it and, potentially, question their competence (assuming same OPC carried out original alignment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

When I had my 111 point check, prior to extending the warranty. There was no mention of having the wheel alignment done. And it went through without any problems. However on a visit to the local OPC, with the PCGB region, where all attending cars had a complementary check. They found that my wheel alignment was slightly out, but said not enough to warrant adjustment. But never mentioned in any respect by the 111 point checking OPC.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wheel alignment is not part of the 111 check.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col M

Post by Col M »

It’s not part of the check...unusual tyre wear is. Sounds like they’ve bought a new machine that needs to pay for itself!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Caster

Post by Caster »

I had my 111 point check done a couple of months ago and wheel alignment wasn’t part of check but as Col M says tyre wear is.

They did get me for the wheel alignment a year ago though at the 2 yr/20k service when they said a check had shown it did need a 4 wheel laser alignment and they could do it for about £200! I phoned a mate who owns a garage and he said £80-£90 would be a more realistic price for Porsche to charge or he could do it for me etc...... So, I told Porsche service that and they did it for £80 inc VAT!

In your position, I’d check local prices for a 4 wheel laser alignment or use mine above and get the OPC to come down to something like that. Mind you, as you imply, I’d be saying to the OPC that there seems to be something worrying if a Macan’s alignment is going off after only 5k miles and you’ll probably notify Porsche direct as it’s putting you off buying another etc..... Assuming that is you’ve not been rallying, crashing into every pot hole you see or doing serious off roading etc!! Don’t know how long your 5k miles have been done in but if 6-9 months (without any of factors in last sentence) I’d be saying to them I was dubious as to whether it was carried out correctly or there really is a serious worry as I mentioned earlier + certainly worth raising with Porsche HQ.

Good luck + at the end of the day I hope you get away with paying no more than about £80.

PS...what are you paying for the 111 pt inspection - I managed to get away with £95 at the end of Sept. The price had gone up but the OPC seemed happy to still charge the old one👍
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Daman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 pm Looking for some advice please
Our GTS underwent the 111 point check today in order to renew the warranty.
All was fine.
However the opc also carried out a complementary wheel alignment check and apparently the alignment needs correcting at a cost of £150 before they will let me buy a warranty, so I’m paying for 111 point check, wheel alignment, warranty and porsche assist.
Does anyone know whether this is correct or can I refuse the wheel realignment?
All tyres have even wear and the alignment was done 5000 miles ago when we purchased a new set of tyres.
I would suggest that you look carefully at the wheel alignment report. Each measurement has a little diagram with the in-tolerance range shown as a stepped cut-out on the top edge of a coloured rectangle. I had two "red" measurements (out-of tolerance) so I paid to have them adjusted. Once completed, I discovered that the newly adjusted angles had barely moved at all. Camber had gone from -1o07' to -1o04' and visually on the diagram, both before and after were in the same place at the left end of the acceptable range. I queried this because, if you are going to adjust the angles, at least set them to the centre of their acceptable range! (which was -0o24' to -1o04') They told me that nobody had ever queried the adjustment before! I paid to have it altered by 3 minutes of one degree! They checked with the technician and he said he couldn't do any more. The angles are set in the factory and changing them would involve changing the sub-frames which they would never do.

So, in my opinion, I was ripped off.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

I had a 111pt check on mine in September and a wheel alignment check was included. It included a road test and inspection on the hoist. It didn't need to have the wheels aligned though as it was fine following the inspection.
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Daman

Post by Daman »

finally sorted after a few phone calls, they have waived the cost of the realignment but took some persuasion
Daman

Post by Daman »

Caster, in answer to your question, they would not budge on the cost of the 111 point check and neither would another opc that I use.
Thanks to all for your advice