Annoying rattle

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
happy days

Post by happy days »

Update. It’s the part of the dash that is loose. The key can be pressed in and out quite a lot so that’s why it’s rattling. Looks like a visit to the service centre again.
Macan S D
718 S

happy days

Post by happy days »

Update on this.

The part where the key slots in to the ignition barrel worked fine, it was just that the barrel was moving in and out of the dash board and vibrating, if that makes sense. With lockdown etc, we weren't really driving much and so it didn't get to the OPC to be investigated.

However, last week, the barrel began to rotate completely inside the dash bit. The car would still turn on and off and drive properly, but it was really dodgy not knowing if it was safe to use. It worked fine until last night when I went to drive it and the whole barrel fell into the dash!

This morning, a bit of investigation. I grabbed the trim through the hole and pulled hard until it popped out. That's the bit surrounding the light switch and ignition barrel - a plastic ring fell out with it too. I disconnected the illumination wiring from the trim piece and set it aside. Then, from under the steering column, I was able to feel around and grab the ignition barrel and re-insert it back through the hole. The plastic ring is a big nut, basically, that screws onto the barrel to hold it in place.

I tightened it up as best as i could (you need a special tool by the looks of it, but I made do with a flat head screw driver, then popped the trim back on after reconnecting the illumination wiring and Robert is the proverbial Uncle.

Result!
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Glad you finally sorted it; unusual for a barrel lock ring to work loose, and certainly worth mentioning to the dealership, get them to nip it tight for you.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465