Used v New GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nodz

Post by Nodz »

Hello all

First post.

I have been on the waiting list for a facelift GTS for a while. Since the announcement this week I've specced up my ideal car and it comes to £63k, so around £64.5k including relevant taxes.

I had decided that I'd be going used, looking to avoid the depreciation, reduce my monthly payments etc. And also because I didn't consider the improvements to be that significant (and had heard the new cars, even with the sports exhaust, don't sound as good!)

However, looking at pre-owned, I'd be paying arrayed £50-52k for the car I want, so only a difference of around £13-15k. While the new car would save me on the finance rate, give me a longer warranty and also mean less outlay on tyres, brakes, other consumables.

It would also, of course, have all the new extra features, a few extra hp and that new car smell!

To me it looks like going new would be the best option. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I think it helps that I don't require that many options (panoramic roof, air suspension, privacy glass, heated seats, parking sensors, 75litre tank, GT steering wheel).

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nodz

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It is really nice having a brand new car.

If you can get a nearly new car with the correct spec. and save £10 to £20k that would certainly be worth looking at.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

We just bought a Clubman, less than a year old with only 2k miles on it and at a whopping 35% under list. And it still smells like a new car - bonus.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Simon850

Post by Simon850 »

Have you driven a pre-facelift GTS yet? I was pretty much sold on a 2019 Macan S until I stepped into a 2018 GTS and turned on the engine. Within about 2 minutes of driving I knew that this was the car for me. I would strongly recommend driving the new one before you make a decision - for me the new additions on the face lift do not outweigh the excitement I get every time I step into my 2018 GTS and turn it on :D
adam b

Post by adam b »

buy one 2-3 years old with a warranty - you should save more than that
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nodz wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:10 pm Hello all

First post.

I have been on the waiting list for a facelift GTS for a while. Since the announcement this week I've specced up my ideal car and it comes to £63k, so around £64.5k including relevant taxes.

I had decided that I'd be going used, looking to avoid the depreciation, reduce my monthly payments etc. And also because I didn't consider the improvements to be that significant (and had heard the new cars, even with the sports exhaust, don't sound as good!)

However, looking at pre-owned, I'd be paying arrayed £50-52k for the car I want, so only a difference of around £13-15k. While the new car would save me on the finance rate, give me a longer warranty and also mean less outlay on tyres, brakes, other consumables.

It would also, of course, have all the new extra features, a few extra hp and that new car smell!

To me it looks like going new would be the best option. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I think it helps that I don't require that many options (panoramic roof, air suspension, privacy glass, heated seats, parking sensors, 75litre tank, GT steering wheel).

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nodz
Welcome to this forum Nodz.

I too have decided to buy a brand new 2020 model GTS. This will be my second Macan. I'm specifying options lightly too, as I'm happy with the same options I have on my SD. The facelift S comes with more things as standard now and the GTS more so.

Going for the privacy glass, heated front seats, pano roof and 75ltr tank and reversing camera too. The later now has a water jet to clean the camera lens, linked the rear window wash - Hurray ;)

I'm happy with PASM so not going for Air. GT steering wheel - no, as I do not need it heated or the sport chrono. Would be good if you could just specify the Sport button on the steering wheel though. I'm taking the compass on the dash to break up that big area and gave a clock there too. Also taking the speed limit recognition option. Being fast and quiet cars this has been a license saver on several occasions. Smokers Pack to cover the hole on the centre dash.

Hope to get to see and drive a demo GTS before lock down.

Placed my order with the £3k deposit yesterday with my OPC. Now the wait for the build date and then delivery.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Am89

Post by Am89 »

I was in a similar situation in regards to a turbo. Couldn’t find the right spec, low mileage, warranty, 2017 onwards for the right price and considered new. Held out for a good 8 months plus and the right one came along, 15k miles and oddly enough still smells new inside. Glad I waited - the deprecation on a new car is crippling, unless u can afford it and don’t mind
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Used is better value.. but its not comparable to getting a box fresh one
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
ianst

Post by ianst »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm
The later now has a water jet to clean the camera lens, linked the rear window wash - Hurray ;)
It still doesnt clean it.
SAC1 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm sport chrono. Would be good if you could just specify the Sport button on the steering wheel though. I'm taking the compass on the dash to break up that big area and gave a clock there too.
Just get the sport chrono, you get the dash and clock, and it is so much easier to switch to sport mode with the steering wheel than feeling for the button on the centre panel.
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I have often wrestled with the same dilemma and usually ended up buying new. Second hand is worthwhile in something with heavy deprecation in the first year or two. With the figures you mention the new one with the full warranty, new tyres and brakes etc seems logical. There is also the Silverstone invite not to mention your own personal plinth with the new one.
The origional GTS does have a wonderful sound, I still remember it being started in the showroom the day I took delivery with every head instantly spinning at the growl. I doubt the new one will have anything like the same bark.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50