Used v New GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

After some considerable thought just pulled my deposit for a replacement Turbo. Love the car but Just see the facelift package offerings as a retrograde step. Never kept my daily car for more than 3 years but this one is so good cannot see anything to beat it.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Nodz

Post by Nodz »

Thanks for all the replies.

Looking at the finances, let's assume a gap of £14k between Used and New.

This could be mitigated by...(and I'm estimating these values)....

Lower finance rate £1000
Savings on tyres £1000
Savings on brakes, other consumables, mots £2000
Third year warranty £1000
Total £5000

So this would bring the gap down to £9k.

But then again, by the time the new car arrives, maybe used values will have dropped further making the initial difference closer to £18-20k.

It's a tough one!
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Nodz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 am Thanks for all the replies.

Looking at the finances, let's assume a gap of £14k between Used and New.

This could be mitigated by...(and I'm estimating these values)....

Lower finance rate £1000
Savings on tyres £1000
Savings on brakes, other consumables, mots £2000
Third year warranty £1000
Total £5000

So this would bring the gap down to £9k.

But then again, by the time the new car arrives, maybe used values will have dropped further making the initial difference closer to £18-20k.

It's a tough one!
Always would go new with that sort of difference between new and old. Along with the rationale above I would say that a new Macan GTS is likely to hold stronger in the second hand market. I think the Gen 1 GTS will depreciate a bit more once the model starts to roll out.

I don't know where you are based but let me know if you need a contact at a Porsche Centre.

Arif
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MikeM wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:07 am After some considerable thought just pulled my deposit for a replacement Turbo. Love the car but Just see the facelift package offerings as a retrograde step. Never kept my daily car for more than 3 years but this one is so good cannot see anything to beat it.
You should consider a move to a Cayenne coupe, a Macan +5% and some great deals about right now on E hybrids. More power than a Macan turbo and all the very latest kit. I always found it difficult to simply swap to the newer version of what I already have unless its a complete new model and not just a midcycle facelift.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Rab J wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:01 pm
MikeM wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:07 am After some considerable thought just pulled my deposit for a replacement Turbo. Love the car but Just see the facelift package offerings as a retrograde step. Never kept my daily car for more than 3 years but this one is so good cannot see anything to beat it.
You should consider a move to a Cayenne coupe, a Macan +5% and some great deals about right now on E hybrids. More power than a Macan turbo and all the very latest kit. I always found it difficult to simply swap to the newer version of what I already have unless its a complete new model and not just a midcycle facelift.
Thanks Rab, I have taken a look at it although I haven’t driven it, just felt to big for my daily needs, we have another large car for the dog transport and I really like the handling of the Macan, maybe take another visit to OPC
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

What does the Cayenne E Hybrid sound Rab? I do quite like the silent hybrid drive at times but also like the sweet engine and exhaust noise sometimes.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MCDK wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:50 pm
What does the Cayenne E Hybrid sound Rab? I do quite like the silent hybrid drive at times but also like the sweet engine and exhaust noise sometimes.
I don't pick it up untill the new year and have only had a quick run in the normal Cayenne version. I did like the combination of a respectable silent electric range and the power thats available when you put your foot right down. It does have the V6 warble but a long way short of either the 911 or Macan GTSs Still think it sounds fine for what its trying to be and big noise is a thing of the past in this age of particulate filters.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

I will be honest with you, I went i to my local OPC over a year ago, wanting a brand new Macan and wanted to spec it myself. The Salesperson couldn't have been more unhelpful if he tried thus I never ordered one in the end.
The new GTS looks nice but having been raped by depreciation on my DS and the fact its a perfectly usable vehicle, with ‘nearly’ every option i would want and the fact its such a nice car to drive, i really cant see the point in trading it for more expense and outlay.
Good luck to those who want new and shiny every 3 years, I can no longer see the point in changing so often on a perfectly good vehicle ( I dont do the miles some of you do / 2015 DS @ 24k miles now)

Maybe the next generation model will tempt me and be different enough to entice me :D
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Acwats

Post by Acwats »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm
Nodz wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:10 pm Hello all

First post.

I have been on the waiting list for a facelift GTS for a while. Since the announcement this week I've specced up my ideal car and it comes to £63k, so around £64.5k including relevant taxes.

I had decided that I'd be going used, looking to avoid the depreciation, reduce my monthly payments etc. And also because I didn't consider the improvements to be that significant (and had heard the new cars, even with the sports exhaust, don't sound as good!)

However, looking at pre-owned, I'd be paying arrayed £50-52k for the car I want, so only a difference of around £13-15k. While the new car would save me on the finance rate, give me a longer warranty and also mean less outlay on tyres, brakes, other consumables.

It would also, of course, have all the new extra features, a few extra hp and that new car smell!

To me it looks like going new would be the best option. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I think it helps that I don't require that many options (panoramic roof, air suspension, privacy glass, heated seats, parking sensors, 75litre tank, GT steering wheel).

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nodz
. Also taking the speed limit recognition option. Being fast and quiet cars this has been a license saver on several occasions. Smokers Pack to cover the hole on the centre dash.

Hope to get to see and drive a demo GTS before lock down.

Placed my order with the £3k deposit yesterday with my OPC. Now the wait for the build date and then delivery.
There’s a speed limit display included as part of the Sat Nav. It obviously relies on data rather than reading signs and it only displays on the centre screen but I’ve found it very good so far. I’d save another £200+
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I've found sat nav data at least a year if not two out of date so not to be trusted. Having had speed limit display on my Macan I found it also missed things and could be wrong. Haven't added it since, as it is a best a guide which can lull you into trusting it, paying less attention to signage yourself and ending up with a ticket.