Three years nearly up

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

So - and apologies for not being au faix with service procedures at this level - but is it normal to always replace both? Why not just the pads?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

happy days

Post by happy days »

I had an expensive summer - 60k service on McCann, 20k service on 718S, new boots all round on both cars and brakes on the McCann. I bought original spec front pads and wear indicators from Design 911 and took the car to my local indy for replacement. He advised rears needed doing too, so I repeated the process. Apparently, these big 2-tonners need all pads replaced at the same time, whereas in bygone days of yore, one set of rears would do for two, or even three front sets on a family car.

Now, he advised that the discs were ok, but only just. He advised that we really should be replacing the discs, but given that the bulk of our motoring is motorway, he would be happy to leave the existing discs on. Had it been any other customer, he would have insisted on disc replacement.

He charged me £60 to replace all four pads, which I thought was very reasonable. I went indy because my OPC is 50 miles away.

On that, and referring back to the original post, I'd self insure and chip it. Why not? Our McCann is now on 75k (three this month) and we are planning to keep it as Diesel is our only current option. I think we will be servicing at indy using original parts now that the car is out of warranty.
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 am So - and apologies for not being au faix with service procedures at this level - but is it normal to always replace both? Why not just the pads?
No it's not normal to always replace both. The discs should only need replacing if they are down to, or close to, the thickness limit or if they are excessively corroded, which would be an MoT failure. The OPC may advise that the discs might not last until the next service though and will advise they are changed. Then it's your call. Likewise they'll advise the pads be changed if they think they won't last to the next service, even if the discs aren't changed. Nowadays both pads and discs are regarded as 'wear and tear' items whereas, in the days of asbestos containing pads, which were less abrasive, discs were rarely replaced.

As with tyres, the life of pads and discs will vary depending on the driver and the environment in which they are used.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA