PPF - Does the Macan Need this?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

We currently have an A4 and no PPF and that looks to have been a sound decision as I have no really obvious stone chips - it is white, so not so obvious even if it did. We have a Cayman, it has PPF as its much more prone to chips, particularly on the AB 50mile commute it does.

My question is to everyone, but probably more directed to current owners with some miles on the clock - Is the paint prone to stone chips (soft/hard) or is it quite resistant; dark colours (I am going sapphire) tend to show chips more obviously so I am considering adding the £1500 PPF (ooch!) front end treatment, together with ceramic coating, which we will get regardless of PPF - just considering the worth of the PPF as it does little to residuals and if like my A4 it would not be worth applying.
We would anticipate keeping the car for 4years or more, so thats also a factor.

On the ceramic coatings we have used the same detailer for our last 4 cars and up until the Cayman he applied Gtechniq coatings, however he has now moved to Fenylab coatings, which self heal and so far with 9.5k on our Cayman we have no swirls and it appears to be pretty robust

For anyone who is interested this clip sold us on the merits:

[url][/url]
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

100% the Macan needs PPF, not only to the very delicate clamshell bonnet, no wings on the macan, they are all incorporated into this huge bonnet which is prone to stone chips and costs at least £500 or more to paint, depending on the paint type.

The rear doors are also prone to stone damage from the front wheels, Porsche factory fit a small area of PPF but it is woefully poor and not large enough to stop severe road rash to the lower parts of the rear doors.
I have fitted moulded splash guards to the front as the massive 21 inch wheels fire road rash at the protruding rear doors/arches like a shotgun, this has helped reduce the damage a lot.
Pretty poor design from Porsche IMHO, the purists don't like splash guards on a Porsche, but at the end of the day it is an SUV!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Another definite yes from me for PPF. I have seen some low mileage Macans with bad gravel rash on rear doors and side sills.

Front also needs done but your quote of £1500 for front only sounds scary. I paid a whole lot less and did front bumper, part bonnet, mirrors, side sills, bottom part of doors including side blades and a few pieces on the rear bumper behind the wheels. Also have mudflaps fitted so it’s all pretty much perfect as the day it left the factory.

Sapphire as well, awesome colour.
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Yes!

On the west side of the pond here in New England, we get hard shell insects in the summer,
as well as the occasional stone thrown form someone's tire, and in the winter the state and
municipalities use a sand/salt mixture on the roads creating a nice sand blast medium.

Having owned several cars w/out PPF and now a few with it, I'd say it does a great job of preserving
the paint.
Paul

Post by Paul »

😳
I have decided to get a full PPF and ceramic coat on my soon to be 992 Cab... (xpel film with fusion plus ceramic)

PPF and any detailing / coating will add zero to your residual, but will give the satisfaction of a shiney (er) scratch free (hopefully) car!

(But, to answer the question, No, it doesn’t “need” it......😉😂)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Thanks all for the replies - looks like a yes then

The £1500 cost is the entire front (not a partial bonnet), lights, wings and up to the roof line, also using Expel. Our detailer is not the cheapest, but I thought he was at the higher end and I could maybe save a couple of hundred on an unknown detailer, but risky Tthis price will also include prep and ceramic top coatings applied to the PPF. I will also have him add in the sides too; based on the comments here (we got similar recommendations on the Cayman forum, same reason - big wheels). I did think that as an SUV the design would be more robust than a sports car - apparently not.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23 pm 😳
I have decided to get a full PPF and ceramic coat on my soon to be 992 Cab... (xpel film with fusion plus ceramic)

PPF and any detailing / coating will add zero to your residual, but will give the satisfaction of a shiney (er) scratch free (hopefully) car!

PPF could help residuals. When I traded in my Panamera 4, it had done 17k miles and the OPC said it’d need a bonnet respray, as it had 3-4 noticeable stone chips. The cost of respraying the bonnet was deducted from my trade-in value. So it is arguable that one might get back an element of the cost of the PPF... 🤔 🤓
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:32 pm
Paul wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23 pm 😳

PPF could help residuals. When I traded in my Panamera 4, it had done 17k miles and the OPC said it’d need a bonnet respray, as it had 3-4 noticeable stone chips. The cost of respraying the bonnet was deducted from my trade-in value. So it is arguable that one might get back an element of the cost of the PPF... 🤔 🤓
The PPF certainly encouraged the decent offer I got for the 911. The sales guy said that they normally factor in at least some sort of frontal respray on everything they trade in.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

We had PPF on our TT and it was perfect at trade in (4 years old) the sales exec commented it looked better than most new cars - we got around £1k more than average trade in (some discount in there too potentially) so I guess it has merit and probably more residual than adding extra's. The more prestige the car the more the PPF is appreciated however.

We have had a partial front (half way up the bonnet) previously and were not keen so got it replaced with a full where there is no visible signs of the coating and entire front covered to mirrors and top of windscreen plus lower sides.

We had the Cayman go from Porsche delivery direct to detailer (no dealer prep) and we will do the same with the Macan - sounds like PPF & ceramic is the way to go and going to be worth the cost through ownership and at trade-in.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Our sapphire was battered early on when some dick did a stupid over take on newly surfaced road.

Wherever value wise ppf is worth it is another matter.

A respray is cheaper and personally I don’t like the look or final finish.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S