Do I have AEB?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) on my Macan, and it comes with Porsche Active Safe (PAS). PAS can be switched on or off in the vehicle settings.

Assuming PAS is on, my understanding is that if it thinks the car is heading for a collision with the vehicle in front, it will take progressive action - starting with visual and audible warnings, then pre-tensioning the brakes, and ultimately (if the driver takes no action), it will apply the brakes.

My insurance company has asked if my car has ‘Autonomous Emergency Braking’ (AEB).

Does PAS count as AEB?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman

pmg

Post by pmg »

I had this question from LV. I told them the car had it as part of ACC but I could switch it off by switching ACC off completely. Thier operator said they accepted as the car having AEB.

In practice I have the ACC switched on even if a speed is not set so in practice |I have AEB

The best thing is to tell the insurance company exactly what your car has.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

pmg wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 pm I had this question from LV. I told them the car had it as part of ACC but I could switch it off by switching ACC off completely. Thier operator said they accepted as the car having AEB.

In practice I have the ACC switched on even if a speed is not set so in practice |I have AEB

The best thing is to tell the insurance company exactly what your car has.
Thanks - good to know they accepted it.

I take your point about letting them know exactly what the car has, although with the online application, there was only scope for a simple yes/no.

Incidentally my understanding is that PAS will operate regardless of the status of ACC (that is assuming the separate PAS setting is switched on). But I could be wrong! The manual could be clearer.
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Makanik wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm Incidentally my understanding is that PAS will operate regardless of the status of ACC (that is assuming the separate PAS setting is switched on). But I could be wrong! The manual could be clearer.
Good question :|
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
Col M

Post by Col M »

It’s surprising that they didn’t name it PAEB
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

CliveH wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:24 pm
Makanik wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm Incidentally my understanding is that PAS will operate regardless of the status of ACC (that is assuming the separate PAS setting is switched on). But I could be wrong! The manual could be clearer.
Good question :|
I have opened a new topic on this question as it isn't clear to me either.
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Makanik wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am I have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) on my Macan, and it comes with Porsche Active Safe (PAS). PAS can be switched on or off in the vehicle settings.

Assuming PAS is on, my understanding is that if it thinks the car is heading for a collision with the vehicle in front, it will take progressive action - starting with visual and audible warnings, then pre-tensioning the brakes, and ultimately (if the driver takes no action), it will apply the brakes.

My insurance company has asked if my car has ‘Autonomous Emergency Braking’ (AEB).

Does PAS count as AEB?
This may be different on the facelift Macan but my understanding is the same as yours except for the last bit. I don't believe it "ultimately (if the driver takes no action), it will apply the brakes". It may increase the braking action once you have touched the brakes but I don't believe it will do it by itself. If ACC is active, it obviously will apply the brake automatically but again, I'm not sure that it would do emergency-level braking.

Perhaps someone needs to test it! :lol:
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Giz9 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 am
Makanik wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am I have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) on my Macan, and it comes with Porsche Active Safe (PAS). PAS can be switched on or off in the vehicle settings.

Does PAS count as AEB?
This may be different on the facelift Macan but my understanding is the same as yours except for the last bit. I don't believe it "ultimately (if the driver takes no action), it will apply the brakes". It may increase the braking action once you have touched the brakes but I don't believe it will do it by itself. If ACC is active, it obviously will apply the brake automatically but again, I'm not sure that it would do emergency-level braking.

You may be right, I find the manual unclear and ambiguous on PAS even after several reads. I think it would be very dangerous to try and test!!

In one section it does however say:

“ Where required, the system can support the driver's braking or initiate partial or full deceleration in order to reduce the collision speed or prevent the collision in some circumstances.”

This sentence is full of the word “or”, but could be interpreted as including the following option:

Where required, the system can .....initiate ......full deceleration
pmg

Post by pmg »

Makanik wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Giz9 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 am

Does PAS count as AEB?

You may be right, I find the manual unclear and ambiguous on PAS even after several reads. I think it would be very dangerous to try and test!!

In one section it does however say:

“ Where required, the system can support the driver's braking or initiate partial or full deceleration in order to reduce the collision speed or prevent the collision in some circumstances.”

This sentence is full of the word “or”, but could be interpreted as including the following option:

Where required, the system can .....initiate ......full deceleration
I can confirm the PAS system certainly works when Acc on but a speed not set. (i.e non-lit ACC symbol showing in MFD) I have had instances when cars cut in front of me from left or right when warning bong appeared. As I never drive with acc completely off I cannot comment on that situation.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8