Pan roof/Options - Dealer or customer driven?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
davewf

Post by davewf »

I buy my car for me not the next purchaser, it reminds me of people who used to cover their seats to keep them good for the next person.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I really like the panoramic roof. It makes the interior so much lighter and brighter. Great to have the tilt setting for fresh air without noise. Also if leaving the car on a hot day you can crack it open slightly for ventilation and close the sun blind 90%. 8-)

The fully retracted option is great and for speeds up to about 60 mph little wind noise is generated. You can set it between fully open and a small amount too.

I've never has a problem with blocked drain tubes etc. It's always parked outdoors too, but I don't park under trees.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't be without it. If buying new, always spec to what you want and not what the dealer says. The advantage with Porsche is that each option can be specified, rather than being forced into package of options.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Roadrunner996

Post by Roadrunner996 »

kmacuk wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:30 pm So how much of an issue/how common is the pan roof drain problem?

We decided that the roof was pretty good option so took the advice, but if its a future problem waiting to happen I an less keen.

We did indeed order what we wanted and decided if we wanted to take the advice on offer or not - Sapphire apparently not as good as Volcano as a resale colour we chose to disregard - love sapphire
That makes my non-pano GTS in Sapphire worth 10p at re-sale then :D
Previous: 996.2 C4, 997.1 GT3 CS , Cayman R, Macan GTS
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:55 am

Each to their own, but I wouldn't be without it. If buying new, always spec to what you want and not what the dealer says. The advantage with Porsche is that each option can be specified, rather than being forced into package of options.
+1. Even though I only rarely open it. Like another poster, I wish a fixed pan roof was an option.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I was talked into speccing the pano roof by the OPC when I bought mine as it was "a must have option, everyone wants that".

I can honestly say I've opened it once in nearly 4 years. I certainly won't bother again.

Spec for yourself, not the next owner, as said previously.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I think a large group of buyers would like the pano roof, a large group don't care and a smaller group are dead against them. That certainly doesn't mean that not having a pano roof will be a big issue - it may slightly adjust the pool of people who want to buy the car, but at the same time, you won't get the £2K back for it at re-sale.

I've got one, I love it and I open it on pretty much every trip....but you don't have to have one at all.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
adam b

Post by adam b »

Confirmation bias could be at pay here in my opinion.

People who don't like the pano roof are disproportionately drawn to say so in such threads.

It was on my must have list and I suspect it is on a lot of peoples though so may be swayed by dealers
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

A pano car will attract more buyers so will hold it's price better.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Thanks to all who responded to this thread - this is a great forum very helpful responses. So I decided to do a Porsche approved used GTS and S model only search and looked at the equipment filter output (115 cars found). This is pretty interesting, not sure how many of these were dealer spec vs customer, but dealers are doing a sterling job "encouraging" must have pano roof and possibly sports chrono. 94 out 115 cars have a pan roof - that’s 82%, 50% ordered sports chrono and they must know one (almost) wants any wheel size other than 20" or 21" (I know GTS will be standard on 21, but all the S owners have upgraded to 20 or 21 from this data:

GTS-SExtras.JPG

Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Like many self-fulfilling prophesies....if you say it loud enough and often enough it will probably come to pass!

(Said the Sapphire Blue GTS, with pano roof and sports chrono😳)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465