Pan roof/Options - Dealer or customer driven?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

I am interested in comments on this. We did a first pass spec on our Macan and sat down with the SA and he immediately said: no pan roof hmmm, that’s not good it will cost you at trade-in, everyone wants that and if you don’t spec it we will reduce what we give you when you trade it, much more difficult to sell.

So we ended up adding this as on balance being told it would increase and not reduce trade in pretty much meant we had to add - the reason I didn’t add is I have it in my A4 and the drop to roof height is a pain (I am 6'4"), but it’s not the same in the Macan so quite liking it we added.

So is this a dealer driven "must have" option that they tell everyone they must add so it then becomes a must have dealer driven option (and a nice Porsche profit centre) or driven by customers who really want a pan roof?

How many folks would have added the pan roof (and any other options come to that) had the dealer not pushed it/them?

When talking to the finance guy he was checking we had all the "right" options selected, which we mostly did (apparently) it seemed like he was making sure it was correctly optioned for the next buyer more than ensuring we had what we wanted, this might be a bit unfair as it could have been him just giving us his experience and good advice on what is worth adding and not. We added what we wanted and beyond the pan roof did not really change based on his suggestions so all good in the end.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

pmg

Post by pmg »

I had the same comment which I ignored. Judging by the number of issues with drain channels and leaks in threads on this forum, I am glad a did. I lightened up the interior by partial red leather.

Thirty years ago when I last had a pan roof in a car with aircon, I preferred having the aircon on in a shut roof car.

If I fixed glass roof had been an option as with current Cayenne I would personally have specced that type.

When it comes to trade-in time, dealers or buyers will always try to use a "missing option" as a case for reduction ploy. My last BMW did not have heated seats.

My philosophy is to spec a car for the 1st buyer not the second.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
stag74

Post by stag74 »

If buying a brand new car to hell with what the dealer likes to see, in case he is the one giving you a crap px value in a few years time.
You order and spec what you want!
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

So how much of an issue/how common is the pan roof drain problem?

We decided that the roof was pretty good option so took the advice, but if its a future problem waiting to happen I an less keen.

We did indeed order what we wanted and decided if we wanted to take the advice on offer or not - Sapphire apparently not as good as Volcano as a resale colour we chose to disregard - love sapphire
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Ask the sales guy will he give you the full 2k more or what ever the pano roof cost come trade in. My Macan had no pano roof, I got a great trade in price and it sold well for them. My 911 didn't have a pano roof and it sold easily even before they had advertised it.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Personally I wish I had never had the pan roof. My car is on pcp and I was going to buy it outright. However, with the problems I have had with the pan roof (and it still isn’t fixed) I will be handing the car back as I am not going to cough up a large amount of cash on something moving out of warranty when there are clearly problems.

My next car (Macan or otherwise) won’t have a pan roof. I like the idea of a fixed glass roof but alas not an option.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Am89

Post by Am89 »

Pan roof wouldn’t be a deal killer for me, saying that - the car would have to be priced accordingly.. higher spec cars are usually easier to sell / gain more interest.

As mentioned though, spec for yourself.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Its always great to see a highly speced second hand car as you know you'll be getting the extras for a small percentage of what they cost the new buyer. If your the new buyer who coughed up for them it has to be a little easier to stomach if you at least liked and enjoyed them. It has to particularly sickening to loose thousands on extras that you didn't want but were talked into as "must haves" by some SA or other.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

For us it must be a car without a sunroof or panoroof every time. I’d rather have a convertible if I wanted less off a roof. [emoji38]

It was hard to find a used 991.2 S we liked and without sunroof. Most have them for some reason. [emoji848]

People like the idea of a sunroof, but really rarely use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A sunroof isnt even an option on the 991 cars that have the best residual values, GT3 and other similar incarnations.