GTS Residuals - Gen 1 vs Gen2

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

With a GTS on order, which I am assured has great residuals and that convinced me to go from an S to GTS. We reserved 2 days after the release date so I can’t use the finance example to get an idea of the residuals, like I can with the S. I am also interested to those with more Macan knowledge tham the newbie - the Gen 1 GTS was basically a tweaked S with extras, but the Gen 2 is a detuned turbo - dealer thinks this is a big deal and residuals will be even better - thoughts?

I have £6k of options on my build - the same (without red calipers, GTS specific items & the engine) I would have to add almost £18k to match it. Would it be fair to assume that the extras on the GTS would hold the same residual as the car or less?
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Dealer speak.................................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

They are all 'detuned turbos' now as they (v6s) are Audi V6 petrols with a hot vee.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

It does sound like a little dealer rubbish, to be polite.

I don't think it will make any difference whether the car is an upgraded S or a downgraded Turbo. What drives residual is generally simple supply and demand. When the GTS Gen 1 was released there were long waits for customers to get their cars, I was quoted 12 - 18 months but it actually came in 10 months. It was the new thing at that time. Strikes me now that wait times are a lot less at sometimes 2 to 3 months which means more people will simply wait for the new one or if buying used they will want a decent saving.

The other factor is the point of lifespan the Macan is now at. A replacement is not too far away which will have a pretty big effect on the residuals. Sure there won't be a new GTS too soon but a new shape car will be on the market.

Buy it and enjoy it would be my advice, residuals will be relatively strong but not like it used to be.
pmg

Post by pmg »

MCDK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:19 am It does sound like a little dealer rubbish, to be polite.

I don't think it will make any difference whether the car is an upgraded S or a downgraded Turbo. What drives residual is generally simple supply and demand. When the GTS Gen 1 was released there were long waits for customers to get their cars, I was quoted 12 - 18 months but it actually came in 10 months. It was the new thing at that time. Strikes me now that wait times are a lot less at sometimes 2 to 3 months which means more people will simply wait for the new one or if buying used they will want a decent saving.

The other factor is the point of lifespan the Macan is now at. A replacement is not too far away which will have a pretty big effect on the residuals. Sure there won't be a new GTS too soon but a new shape car will be on the market.

Buy it and enjoy it would be my advice, residuals will be relatively strong but not like it used to be.
Agree with all this but would add one factor. the next two or three years production will be the last ICE cars esp 6 cyl. with the next generation being a pure EV unless the use of ice cars become very restricted, there could be some market demand from this factor
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

As above, if the stories are true the current Macan will be the last version with an ICE. The next Macan will be pure EV but it is possible the current one will still be produced in parallel for a period of time.

As I've said before the days of sky high residuals are long gone now you can get a new car in 2-3 months and that is especially true of car with lots of extras. As for the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, I think long term the Gen 1's will be more sought after simply because they have Porsche engines and sound better because they don't have GPF.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
VanB

Post by VanB »

One of the reasons the GTS depreciates "less" than an S is because it has more desirable kit as standard. You can effectively write off the cost of your options over the course of your ownership so you can immediately see a big chunk of difference there. I don't think the new version being a detuned turbo makes the blindest bit of difference. We are also in a very different market with car sales at the worst they have been for a very long time time so the days of getting 90% of your purchase price when you sell are long gone. Additionally the significant drive towards electrification means that a big chunk of car buyers now want a BEV for their next vehicle and not an ICE which will also negatively impact residuals. Further I also agree with Myopik that the original GTS with the true Porsche engine will be more desirable than the current model.

Probably not what you want to hear but only my opinion of course.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
adam b

Post by adam b »

kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 pm the Gen 1 GTS was basically a tweaked S with extras, but the Gen 2 is a detuned turbo - dealer thinks this is a big deal and residuals will be even better - thoughts?
my thoughts would be too impolite to include here, lets go with utter garbage
kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 pm I have £6k of options on my build - the same (without red calipers, GTS specific items & the engine) I would have to add almost £18k to match it. Would it be fair to assume that the extras on the GTS would hold the same residual as the car or less?
It would be completely unfair :) options depreciate 3 or 4x faster than the car, but without certain options a car can be hard to sell. Thus a GTS with 6k of options (a modest amount for these cars) would be a good idea depreciation wise, an S with 18k of options would not!

If you are really concerned with depreciation wait 6 months and buy year old Macan S with 20-25% off list
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
jone66

Post by jone66 »

What year did the Porsche engine change to VW on the GTS. I've been trying to find out but very little info.
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

2020 model year. 2019 with the light body refresh V1.5