GTS Residuals - Gen 1 vs Gen2

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

jone66 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:37 pm What year did the Porsche engine change to VW on the GTS. I've been trying to find out but very little info.
All Gen 1 V6 petrols (3.6 Turbo and 3.0 GTS & S) are Porsche engines. The diesel 3.0 is a VAG (Audi) unit. The 2.0 is a VAG unit. All Gen 2 petrols are VAG the V6 is a 2.9 and the 2.0 is the same VAG unit as the Gen 1 but I believe updated for WLTP and as a result has slightly less power.

If anyone try's to tell you that the Gen 1 V6 units are VAG units they're wrong. The Macan V6 was a development of the Porsche V8 unit and has nothing to do with the 3.0 VAG VR6 that was found in early Cayennes.

Hope that helps.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

In the real world, and with a Macan being based on an Audi Q5 platform anyway, with many common parts, I’m not convinced about the value to the vast majority of potential buyers between a ‘Porsche’ engine and an Audi engine that has been breathed on by Porsche. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm In the real world, and with a Macan being based on an Audi Q5 platform anyway, with many common parts, I’m not convinced about the value to the vast majority of potential buyers between a ‘Porsche’ engine and an Audi engine that has been breathed on by Porsche. ;)
I know what you mean but I remember the 924 :lol:
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Miopyk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:38 pm
jone66 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:37 pm What year did the Porsche engine change to VW on the GTS. I've been trying to find out but very little info.
All Gen 1 V6 petrols (3.6 Turbo and 3.0 GTS & S) are Porsche engines. The diesel 3.0 is a VAG (Audi) unit. The 2.0 is a VAG unit. All Gen 2 petrols are VAG the V6 is a 2.9 and the 2.0 is the same VAG unit as the Gen 1 but I believe updated for WLTP and as a result has slightly less power.

If anyone try's to tell you that the Gen 1 V6 units are VAG units they're wrong. The Macan V6 was a development of the Porsche V8 unit and has nothing to do with the 3.0 VAG VR6 that was found in early Cayennes.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info....appreciated.
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

I checked out the engines on the configurator after talking to the dealer and it looked to me like they were not the same. The S with a 3L twin scroll single turbo vs the GTS with a 2.9L twin turbo, apparently also used in the Audi RS4. So is this incorrect and they are both the same, as I think I am reading or is the Gen 2 the same as a detuned Turbo? As to them being Porsche or Audi I am not sure that matters so much to me either, the RS Audis have great engines IMHO.

As to the options on an S vs a GTS £6k is significantly lower than the equivelent £18k to match on a GTS, but the car costs £10k more so from that its around £2k cheaper for equivelent specs, but potentially with the engine difference and the GTS bits its a good buy.

As to the residuals and built in extras - I am more familiar with Audi's and S-Line, S and RS cars with lots of extras added will carry the cars residual if you look at PCP GFV, so I had always worked on the principal that you get the higher spec car for the extras, assuming you want all/most with the benefit that the extras give the same residual return as the car - its just base list price as a percentage to give GFV.

I must be doing something wrong when looking at up to 1 year old S Macans, as when I do this they are more expensive, due to so many extra's vs my much lower typical new build configuration. I had an S at around £58k initially, before the GTS move and S cars on year 2019 were more than £60k.

I have also had the EV debate and considered waiting to see the EV Macan, but for me I am waiting 5 years to see where EV tech goes, for me until batteries get lighter with greater range/capacity the lithion batteries right now are a bigger risk the ICE.

S-Scroll.JPG

GTS-Twin.JPG

Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Miopyk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm In the real world, and with a Macan being based on an Audi Q5 platform anyway, with many common parts, I’m not convinced about the value to the vast majority of potential buyers between a ‘Porsche’ engine and an Audi engine that has been breathed on by Porsche. ;)
I know what you mean but I remember the 924 :lol:
My very first Porsche was a ten year old 924, super little car, typical Porsche, well built, well engineered. Compared to all the other c**p about at the time it was a revelation, no rust, no breakdowns.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Original S has two turbos
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

kmacuk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 am I checked out the engines on the configurator after talking to the dealer and it looked to me like they were not the same. The S with a 3L twin scroll single turbo vs the GTS with a 2.9L twin turbo, apparently also used in the Audi RS4. So is this incorrect and they are both the same, as I think I am reading or is the Gen 2 the same as a detuned Turbo? As to them being Porsche or Audi I am not sure that matters so much to me either, the RS Audis have great engines IMHO.
Here's the 17 Dec 2019 announcement from Porsche on the new facelift GTS: "The 2.9-litre V6 biturbo engine delivers 280 kW (380 PS) Macan GTS" The facelift S uses the 3.0-litre engine.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
adam b

Post by adam b »

kmacuk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 am As to the options on an S vs a GTS £6k is significantly lower than the equivelent £18k to match on a GTS, but the car costs £10k more so from that its around £2k cheaper for equivelent specs, but potentially with the engine difference and the GTS bits its a good buy.
So for the spec you want its

S plus £2k
GTS

I don't see why you are even considering the S then, given the cache of the GTS, the handling tweaks and extra power

Would you really add all the 18k of options to the S to get to GTS spec?

What makes up the 18k?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Isn't his choice S at £58K v GTS at £64K. I suspect in cash terms cf percentage the depreciation will be similar

I am uncertain as to what size wheels and suspension are in the S spec. Wheel size and PASM addition make up part of the handling difference between a base S and a Base GTS on top of the GTS lowering.

There are differences to the rpm level at which the flat torque comes in between Facelift S and facelift GTS, 1360 on S 1750 on GTS with the S having more torque till about 1600. When in traffic and fully auto gearbox in "comfort mode", my S rarely gets above 1700 revs. As soon as away from traffic and dual carriageways, I tend to drive in sport mode and the revs tend to stay above that level and a GTS would pay off performance/economy wise. So the case for which is the better buy can depend on where and how the car is used

Personally if ordering now, I would probably buy GTS my prefered spec £71.5 over S my preferred spec £69K.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8