Extend warranty - GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi all,
Sorry if I am touching on a topic already well covered somewhere in our chat archives. However I'd really appreciate some help on warranty options as follows:
My GTS was bought brand new in 2017 will be out of warranty March 2020.
With only 13k miles accumulated and a joyous driving experience that begins as soon as I turn the key and hear that Porsche engine rumble, it seems silly to trade-in just yet.
Therefore I am thinking of extending the warranty for another 2 years (especially to mitigate against the dreaded transfer box problems which seem to afflict Macans).

Do I need to start organising that warranty extension now or wait until March? Also is the cost negotiable from your experiences?

Thanks.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

For the money and peace of mind the extended warranty offers is worth is to us. Our Cayman is 4 Years old and had no hesitation in taking the warranty out on that. So far we've had a couple of minor claims. We extended twice on my old 987 Boxster and came out about even on that after a couple of major failures.

I'm planning on keeping my current Macan and will also take out the extended warranty when its 3 years old again without hesitation. The Macan has a couple go known faults as mentioned so is worth the cost for us.

As far as negotiation I've never heard of anyone getting a reduction on the warranty itself but we've never paid for the 121 point check so that'll save a bit if you can get that knocked off the bill.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
JBA

Post by JBA »

Miopyk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 pm For the money and peace of mind the extended warranty offers is worth is to us. Our Cayman is 4 Years old and had no hesitation in taking the warranty out on that. So far we've had a couple of minor claims. We extended twice on my old 987 Boxster and came out about even on that after a couple of major failures.

I'm planning on keeping my current Macan and will also take out the extended warranty when its 3 years old again without hesitation. The Macan has a couple go known faults as mentioned so is worth the cost for us.

As far as negotiation I've never heard of anyone getting a reduction on the warranty itself but we've never paid for the 121 point check so that'll save a bit if you can get that knocked off the bill.
Thanks Myopik. Did you take out Porsche Assistance too?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I took out just one extra year (inc the Porsche Assist) at the second year service. This gave me leverage to get the check fee waived (because they’re doing the same things twice!) but, as above, paid full money for the warranty.

I’ve not had occasion to use it yet (kiss of death😂) but when I come to p/x or sell it in the spring it’ll have the 6 month balance left.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
sparkmacan

Post by sparkmacan »

Good morning JBA,
My GTS Macan is a Dec 16 66 plate, the Manufacturers Warranty ran out in Dec, I took the car in in October for the 111 Check.
Passed all straight away & I took out the 2 Year Extended inc Assist.
I thought the assist is so much better than say a standard recovery unit.

I also thought if I do sell it this year it will have nearly 2 Years transferable Porsche Warranty which is a bonus
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPZWUIJ5 Waiting patiently

Previous Macan SD 65 & GTS 66
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

sparkmacan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am Good morning JBA,
My GTS Macan is a Dec 16 66 plate, the Manufacturers Warranty ran out in Dec, I took the car in in October for the 111 Check.

I also thought if I do sell it this year it will have nearly 2 Years transferable Porsche Warranty which is a bonus
What is the cost to extend for two years with assistance please?

Thanks in advance
JBA

Post by JBA »

sparkmacan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am Good morning JBA,

Thanks Sparkmacan. I am veering towards the same on the assumption that the warranty and recovery Ts & Cs and cover post 3 years are identical to the first 3 years of ownership.
PS I wish Porsche would offer a 5 year warranty and recovery at purchase , even if it means a slight hike on the retail price.
sparkmacan

Post by sparkmacan »

Yes I agree JBA,

Cost was :
111 check £180
2 Years Warranty. £1440.00
2 Yrs Roadside. £285.00

Hope this helps
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPZWUIJ5 Waiting patiently

Previous Macan SD 65 & GTS 66
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I would say it is definitely worth it and it ironically because of your low mileage

We found we had some niggling problems with my Mrs’ old 981S because it would sit around for a while without being used - one year I think it did 4K miles and that includes us taking it to the Italian lakes !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

At almost £1900 for two years cover using the figures above it isn’t worth it to me. Yes a big repair may cost more but by my reckoning of probabilities it’s more likely a repair will cost less and more than likely there won’t be any repair needed based on my experience to date.

Do understand why some people take it but seems a lot of money when self insuring seems a reasonable option. Would lean even more to the self insure option where many buyers on here are financially comfortable and a sudden repair bill isn’t going to leave them on bread and water for the rest of a month.