Question: Macan vs Audi Q5 - Anyone considering moving?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

RichardS wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm Thanks for all the comments/suggestions both negative and positive.
Plenty to mull over. On the one hand I am tempted by a change from the Macan, but in the other hand....
Richard
You might find this review in Car magazine from last October interesting.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... q5-hybrid/
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

ouzel

Post by ouzel »

Leesparky wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:30 pm
peter7 wrote:Thanks for that ... so you would recommend ? Any one else got thoughts on this ?
( sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere)
Yep, would recommend. I only have experience of the TDI Tuning box though. Looked at a few reviews online first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've just installed a TDI tuning box (on my Macan S diesel, 2015), and would appreciate some advice. Firstly, I was surprised it was the 2 channel system i.e. did not include a crank position sensor (see which does).

Anyway, it was easy to install, my insurer just wanted an extra £60, so I went with it. However, I've driven the car 4 times since install, on a level 1 tune (the lowest). Twice, after stopping, there was a very hot exhaust smell. Even my passenger commented on it, unprompted (she did not know about the TDI box). I plugged in an OBD2 sensor, and cat temperatures were hitting close to 600 deg C on one drive. The last drive showed a more normal 300 deg C.
TDI Tuning have been very responsive, and have suggested tha the car was just doing a DPF regenenration. But I worry that the car seems to have done these high temperature exhaust excursions twice in 4 drives, and that I might be trashing the exhaust valves/turbo/exhaust system/cats/dpf .
Do regular users have any comments ? Is this just a blip ?
What sort of cat and engine exhaust temeperatures are norm and what is dangerouns ?
I'm reluctant to stress test the system on a level 7 setting !
Advice appreciated. Thanks.