Question: Macan vs Audi Q5 - Anyone considering moving?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

I am thinking this might be an interesting question:

With the Macan being the equivalent Q5 how many considered/are considering this as there next car?

The lines now appear to be drawn between Porsche and Audi: Audi Macan S is a now a diesel option only from Audi (SQ5).

Audi offer a petrol hybrid which I could see as a possible path for current SD owners, some of whom appear on this forum to be looking at petrol options or just holding.

Then there is the petrol/hybrid option which is similar to the Mcan 2.0L,

For me Porsche is a more premium product and I wanted to move from diesel to a performance petrol, before we all get forced down the EV/hybrid path, which is inevitable at some point I think.

Residuals are another factor that make Porsche's higher list price more acceptable and balance out against Audis lower values/PCP contributions; and then there is just the Porsche DNA that means it’s just better (IMHO) as a driver’s car. I have maligned SUVs for many years swearing I would never buy one – then I test drove a Macan S and everything changed: it had what I was looking for and did what I thought was not possible: an SUV that’s more "sport" than "utility" and handles better than most hot hatches, with the flexibility added to the mix.

I am interested to hear the thoughts of those holding or changing or moving away to Audi or others and the thought processes you made to decide whats next?
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Just on looks alone it is a non competition........................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Yes I forgot that big one, agreed it is not the best looking and another reason I discounted it - the SQ5 does look less bad ;)
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

I have just moved from an Audi S4 avant (estate) to a Macan. The S4 has superior handling but it's not an SUV and I am still pleased I made the move for all the other benefits that the Macan brings.

In my eyes, the only advantage that an (S)Q5 has over a Macan is price. In every other respect the Porsche wins hands down.
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

When I looked at the Q5 the only model with the performance I was looking for was the SQ5 which came with loads of things that I didn't want - big wheels, full leather seats, keyless entry, privacy glass. The Macan can be had without these. Adding on the options that I did want on the Macan the price was competitive with the SQ5. On test driving the Macan the brilliant ride/handling sold it to me.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

I have not driven an S4, however I currently have an A4 Quattro, which grips very well - the Macan S I drove is better than it and both give huge levels of all wheel grip and that’s not an SUV attribute I expected.
The SQ5 is a diesel so it’s going to win hands down on fuel economy, torque too is a big win over the twin turbo petrol, but it’s a diesel –think I said that and they are really not popular these days so that’s a big loss.
I did a spec build to make it as close as I could to my GTS order and it was around £4k cheaper - it had many of the options included that I had to order (I only have £6k of extras) as default.
The GFV of the Audi was around £6k less than the Porsche and it cost around £4k less to put on the road, so the Audi is competitive on a financial level (diesel aside), but the rest is a hands down win for the Porsche. It will be interesting to see if the “S” being a diesel takes off or bombs with the anti-diesel sentiment.
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

CliveH wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:29 pm I have just moved from an Audi S4 avant (estate) to a Macan. The S4 has superior handling but it's not an SUV and I am still pleased I made the move for all the other benefits that the Macan brings.
I also moved to a Macan from an S4 Avant (the supercharged B8). The Macan was bought as it ticked the most boxes as a very nice jack of all trades family wagon with 4wd, 95% of the time I’m happy with it, but the other 5% of the time I sorely miss the attitude and ability of the S4.
Back to the original post, after 7 years of Audi ownership I’ve been to a fair few Audi dealers, I don’t think I’ve ever even sat in a Q5. I know they are loosely in the same category as a Macan but they are squarely aimed at, and bought by, a totally different customer for the most part. I know many who have considered a Q5 but quickly dismissed the idea as they felt they were not good enough or premium enough to justify their price which, as you correctly point out, is pretty close to the cost of a Macan.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

I hate to be the heretic here but with the Porsche DNA being gradually diluted (e.g intro of Audi engines across the Macan stable) I am of the view that the desirability of the marque will be hit as it will have an impact on the overall image of the brand and , in turn, further impact residuals. There will always be those who just want to buy into the Porsche brand but as Porsche appears to be going down the BMW and Mercedes route (where over supply has hit those marques to the point where they are not seen as aspirational products) then how long will it be before Porsche reaches the same point for the “cooking” models?
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Very insightful Rigger, and you’ve pulled me in to the debate. I think the sports cars still are standalone in their Porsche ’ness. Some of the other models do take from Audi, in a good way, while injecting Porsche DNA which is lovely for a driver in everyday use.
So, my mate has just bought a new M4 which is going to be phenomenal for less than my 2 year old 991 cost and he will love it but I would not have even considered it as an alternative! My question is do I need counselling?
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

In response to the dilution of the Porsche DNA: I am new to Porsche, migrating from Audi and if anything it’s the one getting diluted by VW.
I came to Porsche and judged it on its merits, not its history or badge. The quality to me is obviously better than Audi and it’s built and engineered for you to drive rather than just get from A to B in comfort.
I see no dilution effect and am not hung up on a Porsche designed engine; I still like Audi, but Porsche stands head and shoulders above them and using an RS 4 Audi engine in my newly ordered GTS, that Porsche rub their DNA all over I am just fine with. Taking a Q5 chassis and applying some more Porsche handling magic also more than fine for me and it’s a great car regardless of the origin of parts.