Question: Macan vs Audi Q5 - Anyone considering moving?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I've had my 'S' now for 8 months. Prior to May this years I've had three Q5's over the previous 10 years and so probably better qualified than most to make a comparison. Looks are in the 'eye of the beholder' and for me the Macan wins hands down particularly after the last Q5 facelift which introduced more angular / aggressive lines but others might like that look. All my Q5's were 2litre diesels so there's no comparison on performance but I have to add that my Q5's delivered all I needed and never let me down in pulling away and past the car in front. On build quality they are (IMO) at least equal and in many areas I would argue that the Q5 had edge. Value for money - the Q5 is quids in, door for door, seat for seat, engine for engine, car for car, the Q5 is better value for money but I and you didn't choose the Macan because it was the best value for money. The Q5 is a great car if you like how it looks.

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Came to the Macan from an SQ5 which is the more common route than Porsche to Audi. That said the new RSQ3 Sportback does look good but financially it won't make a lot of sense due to a relatively high list price and lower residuals.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I had a Q5 for two weeks whilst my Macan was being fixed. The Q5 was new, my Macan three years old, both diesel. I hated every day in the Q5 and could not wait to get rid. Ok, the Q5 was basic as it was a hire car, my Macan has £24k of options, so it’s not really a fair comparison. Even with loads of extras I cannot see the Q5 floating my boat, it’s just pig ugly for starters and the dashboard looks very plain to my eyes.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

I’ve just moved from Audi and so far one of the biggest changes is the brand itself. Audi, or at least any of the local dealers I’ve been to, are not geared up for a premium service. They’re rude, they lie, they don’t know what they’re talking about—whatever it takes to get your money and get you out the door. It was this that quite literally drove me away from Audi in the first place.
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Andyroo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am I’ve just moved from Audi and so far one of the biggest changes is the brand itself. Audi, or at least any of the local dealers I’ve been to, are not geared up for a premium service. They’re rude, they lie, they don’t know what they’re talking about—whatever it takes to get your money and get you out the door. It was this that quite literally drove me away from Audi in the first place.
I have to agree Audi just want to move metal with minimal effort and maximum finance. The experience is completely different when you walk into a Porsche dealership - you feel quite special and a valued potential customer where they want to develop a relationship, they spend time and test drives are expected without a purchase once you close the door.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

MCDK wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 pm Came to the Macan from an SQ5 which is the more common route than Porsche to Audi. That said the new RSQ3 Sportback does look good but financially it won't make a lot of sense due to a relatively high list price and lower residuals.
We also looked at the RSQ3 we have Porsche on one side of the road and Audi on the other and they had a white RSQ3 sitting in the middle of the showroom, which did look quite nice on the outside plus it has the excellent 5 pot Audi engine, which is a peach and sounds amazing, really love this so peaked my interest. I sat inside and its quality is just not there compared to Porsche - it’s just Q3 with some nice seats and some leather - the price - wait for it £76k! that’s Macan turbo territory so we moved on.
I look at Audi setting out as the high mileage purchaser - diesel Q5's and all S derivatives moved to the diesel V6. Porsche have no diesel option and so those currently with S petrol cars need to go RS or move to Porsche - 2 posts from S4 owners seem to confirm this. I am not really sure why you would by an Audi RS when you could go Porsche. Moving "S" cars to diesel is a strange one which I am not interested in, will be interesting to see if Audi blew it here - if yes more folks I think will go to Porsche and maybe this is VW's plan with the healthy Porsche margins.
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

kmacuk wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Andyroo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am I’ve just moved from Audi and so far one of the biggest changes is the brand itself. Audi, or at least any of the local dealers I’ve been to, are not geared up for a premium service. They’re rude, they lie, they don’t know what they’re talking about—whatever it takes to get your money and get you out the door. It was this that quite literally drove me away from Audi in the first place.
I have to agree Audi just want to move metal with minimal effort and maximum finance. The experience is completely different when you walk into a Porsche dealership - you feel quite special and a valued potential customer where they want to develop a relationship, they spend time and test drives are expected without a purchase once you close the door.
Even though we bought the cheapest car our local Porsche had for sale, we still felt like we were the most important people in there. Completely different experience.
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Why would you consider doing this?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

bennachie wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:31 am Why would you consider doing this?
You would consider this if you wanted a diesel that you now cant buy from Porsche. This is what I think VW have planned. You either take the mpg hit on a petrol Macan or move to an Audi diesel.

As an Audi S owner with a performance petrol looking to change you could go Audi S diesel or you mve to Porsche.
M2287

Post by M2287 »

I have just purchased a 2017 macan and am also picking up a Q5 55 hybrid next week so I’ll give some feedback although it may not be fair given the Macan is an older car!
Bentley Continental GT
Porsche Macan
Audi A8
Merc C250