Nearly new purchase - Should transfer box issues put me off?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jone66

Post by jone66 »

I'm looking at a 2018 GTS for my 1st delve into the Porsche world. I have read a lot about the transfer box issues and it seems in most case s if problems arise and relevant warranties exist then there should be no problem replacing defective unit. I do wonder however why Porsche haven't been more on top of this to get it resolved? The last thing you want in the back of your mind in your great new product is a serious failure. How do other members view this?
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

No I would definitely not let that you off. Yes there are some failures but there are many many more cases of absolutely no problems. You will of course hear on the internet of the failures and not the ones that don’t fail.

And a 2018 car has remaining warranty and if you are still concerned you can extend that.

Go for it!!
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

From what I understand the transfer box issue was caused by a poorly designed / routed breather pipe. This allowed water into the box causing the failure. I believe this was resolved on later transfer boxes. I haven't seen a report of a failure on a 2018 car on this forum.

Agree with comment regarding warranty - mine is covered for that reason.
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Thanks for those replies....And how can i go through life without owning a Macan?
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Buy one. They are a lovely drive especially a GTS.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I'm on my third Macan and second GTS and haven't had any transfer box problems. The GTS is am immensely capable and enjoyable car and you should go out and buy one right now.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
adam b

Post by adam b »

bobajob wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:13 am From what I understand the transfer box issue was caused by a poorly designed / routed breather pipe. This allowed water into the box causing the failure. I believe this was resolved on later transfer boxes.
Can this be confirmed? When did “later” start?

If a transfer box goes does Porsche now update the breather pipe to prevent reoccurrence?

Thanks
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
JBA

Post by JBA »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 pm I'm on my third Macan and second GTS and haven't had any transfer box problems. The GTS is am immensely capable and enjoyable car and you should go out and buy one right now.
And the Mk1 GTS is a classic with a true Porsche engine growl...my local OPC say that demand for Mk 1 GTS is high and there aren't enough around. My advice: if you find one buy it. A fabulous car and a two fingers to EVs and the the eco doom mongers I say!😂😂
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

Don't let it put you off. If you're buying from an OPC, they will/should perform adequate checks to let you know if there's an issue. Even when (and if) a problem does manifest, and assuming it's under warranty, the OPC will replace the unit and provide you with a replacement motor for the time it takes them to fix it.

I was luck enough to be given a Cayman GTS for two weeks at no extra cost (other than having to find alternative transport for the Christmas Tree) before Christmas.

The Macan GTS is a joy. Over a year into my ownership and I still starting the engine up and hearing that growl.
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+