New GTS, March build date

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

The sales guy intimated similar regarding the start up sound.

It was that which turned my head when previously at the dealer waiting for my SD to be serviced and heard a GTS being started ready to go to its new owner.

That stuck with me.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

MCDK wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:05 pm Ummmmm no it doesn't ruin the ride and handling at all. Had a GTS with 21s for 3 years and ride is just fine. I actually drive in sports dampers setting as I find comfort too soft and wallowy. Each to their own but the ruin comment is a bit of an exaggeration.
Okay, I should have added 'in my opinion'. And also that of the dealer. I've tried both - a GTS with 20" wheels and another with 21" wheels. I found the 21" wheels made quite a big degradation to both ride quality and handling. I was quite surprised at the difference just an inch made! This is the reason I'd personally never ever go to 21" wheels. There is a reason Porsche make the GTS with 20" wheels. All the demonstrators were 20" wheels. Even the 'money no option' GTS Plus specification retains 20" wheels. It's for the best GTS experience. My dealer reckoned the 21" wheels were better suited to the non-GTS models; and recommended always specifying air suspension with them to 'cancel out' the degradation in handling.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

^^ Bear in mind the GTS model is lowered by 15mm, and has a GTS-specific suspension configuration. It may be this that exacerbates the jump from 20" to 21" wheels. This thread is about the GTS model, so I'm commenting based on my experience of that model.
Current - Macan III GTS
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

PaulR wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:22 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:05 pm Ummmmm no it doesn't ruin the ride and handling at all. Had a GTS with 21s for 3 years and ride is just fine. I actually drive in sports dampers setting as I find comfort too soft and wallowy. Each to their own but the ruin comment is a bit of an exaggeration.
Okay, I should have added 'in my opinion'. And also that of the dealer. I've tried both - a GTS with 20" wheels and another with 21" wheels. I found the 21" wheels made quite a big degradation to both ride quality and handling. I was quite surprised at the difference just an inch made! This is the reason I'd personally never ever go to 21" wheels. There is a reason Porsche make the GTS with 20" wheels. All the demonstrators were 20" wheels. Even the 'money no object' GTS Plus specification retains 20" wheels. It's for the best GTS experience. My dealer reckoned the 21" wheels were better suited to the non-GTS models; and recommended always specifying air suspension with them to "fix" the degradation in handling.
Current - Macan III GTS
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Interesting comments. I did not want black wheels and after that you only have the Turbo 20" as an option, if you want silver spyders they are now 21"s too. Suspension changes on the Gen2 GTS might change the ride characteristics too?

An alternative reason why they come on 20s (black) could be Porsche know you will most likely upgrade; If 20s were indeed the best option for the GTS then there should at least be the same amount of options for 20s as 21s.

I think ride is like colour and one man’s firm is another’s too harsh, similar with air suspension; steel is fine for me even without PASM on 21s. I guess I will find out soon as I have 21s on my GTS order ;)
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Dealer speak to keep you happy..........................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I obviously expect everyone who has 21" wheels to disagree. Most people nowadays buy cars based on looks - and for many people, size matters. If the Macan had a 22" wheel option, many would go for that without thinking about it. However, at the end of the day, we all buy what pleases us most!!! I went out (twice) to buy a 'money no object' GTS, and both times went with 20" wheels. That's because that's what suits me most.
Current - Macan III GTS
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

I was advised by sales guy to have air suspension if going for 21” wheels as the ride would be harder when we bought our Gen 1.

We stuck with 20”s then and have done again on the new spec as they work better with winter tyres
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
jk88

Post by jk88 »

It's a very subjective topic and we might as well be asking forum members to advise the correct temperature to set the climate control to ;)

One thing I have experienced with various loan cars over the years, variously with 20 and 21 inch wheels, is that while there's not a significant difference in ride compliancy, the 21s do generate quite a bit more road noise. So if that's a bugbear for you, go for 20s.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
LVision

Post by LVision »

21 inch wheels on steel springs on my Turbo and love it. Not much additional road noise over my previous Macan S (20's & steel) and just as comfortable. Tried Air on a demo but didn’t like it, to soft and bouncy in comfort and didn’t really have the same feel for me in other modes. Others mileage might differ but my preference is steel.