New GTS, March build date

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Mind the GTS has a different suspension configuration than the base, S and Turbo cars. So experiences with the non-GTS cars may or may not apply to the GTS. My decision for 20" is based on:

1. My personal experience having already had a GTS with 20" tyres, and tried a demonstrator with 21"
2. Instructor on Porsche Experience telling me to stick with 20" (on a GTS)
3. Two Porsche Centres telling me to stick with 20" (on a GTS)
4. All Macan GTS demonstrators and press cars sticking with 20" wheels
5. From what I understand, the Porsche-specced GTS cars being supplied to dealers with 20" wheels
6. The money no object GTS Plus 'premium configuration for maximum driving dynamics' sticking to 20" wheels

The real question should be whether or not we specify air suspension on our 20" wheeled GTS cars. This was my major dilemma.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I'm going with the 20" and no Air Suspension.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm I'm going with the 20" and no Air Suspension.
After a load of deliberation, I've gone 20" with air on new GTS. This was partly down to the 'GTS Plus' specification and I wanted to try a few things different versus the existing GTS. However, I understand many GTS drivers prefer the 20" wheels on steel springs. Steel apparently gives a more 'controlled' experience at the limits.
Current - Macan III GTS
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

PaulR wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 pm Mind the GTS has a different suspension configuration than the base, S and Turbo cars. So experiences with the non-GTS cars may or may not apply to the GTS. My decision for 20" is based on:

1. My personal experience having already had a GTS with 20" tyres, and tried a demonstrator with 21"
2. Instructor on Porsche Experience telling me to stick with 20" (on a GTS)
3. Two Porsche Centres telling me to stick with 20" (on a GTS)
4. All Macan GTS demonstrators and press cars sticking with 20" wheels
5. From what I understand, the Porsche-specced GTS cars being supplied to dealers with 20" wheels
6. The money no object GTS Plus 'premium configuration for maximum driving dynamics' sticking to 20" wheels

The real question should be whether or not we specify air suspension on our 20" wheeled GTS cars. This was my major dilemma.
Why would you spoil the Porsche perfected suspension set up for the GTS by adding air? Porsche don't add it for standard so on the logic above then it can't be the right thing to add. An instructor at PEC said air should only be considered on any Macan by an owner of more senior years of which there are many of course hence it is offered.
Am89

Post by Am89 »

I’ve noticed my turbo on 21” wheels with air can feel quite bouncy over twisty / bumpy patches of road even in the sport damper / engine setting and this can take some getting used to. Esp if you’ve never driven a car with air springs before. Saying that, for what I use my car for - air is perfect. Adds so much comfort which is much needed, especially in the uk.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

MCDK wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 pm Why would you spoil the Porsche perfected suspension set up for the GTS by adding air? Porsche don't add it for standard so on the logic above then it can't be the right thing to add.
For goodness sake, I didn't say whatever Porsche offers as standard ion a model is the best configuration. What I've been talking about the last few posts has been the best wheel size for performance, ride and handling reasons on a Macan GTS. You can still add options to make the car better - as long as said option isn't 21" wheels!

Note the air suspension on the GTS model is tuned differently to the air suspension on other models.

Here's an excerpt from Porsche:
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) in the new Macan GTS is lowered by 15mm, for an even more responsive drive. Not enough? The optional air suspension including PASM is lowered by a further 10mm and delivers more comfort, and more agility, perfectly balanced and constantly adapted to the drive. No compromises.

The new Macan GTS is hitting the roads this week, so let's see what the press has to say about it.
Current - Macan III GTS
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

This is the first review of the new GTS that I’ve seen.
It’s in Portugal so I assume this is a European model built under WLTP regulations.

Will the Macan’s that are due for export to North America have a different engine / exhaust setup compared to those for sale in Europe?

Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

the Autocar first drive report is now up on their website

[url]https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/macan/first-drives/porsche-macan-gts-2020-review[/url]
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

pmg wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 pm the Autocar first drive report is now up on their website

[url]https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/macan/first-drives/porsche-macan-gts-2020-review[/url]
Thanks for sharing.
If that link doesn't work for you try https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/macan/first-drives/porsche-macan-gts-2020-review
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
adam b

Post by adam b »

PaulR wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 pm 4. All Macan GTS demonstrators and press cars sticking with 20" wheels
https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9559&sid=a36e3afb15497402a7831351996853bb
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)