GTS On Order

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jason17

Post by Jason17 »

Hi guys,
I've also placed a deposit down on a GTS although not yet locked down the spec. I appreciate that this topic may have been covered before but I'm undecided on whether to spec the air suspension or not. I'm sticking with the standard 20" wheels and would be grateful for any advice/comments on the subject.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Jason17 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am Hi guys,
I've also placed a deposit down on a GTS although not yet locked down the spec. I appreciate that this topic may have been covered before but I'm undecided on whether to spec the air suspension or not. I'm sticking with the standard 20" wheels and would be grateful for any advice/comments on the subject.

Good debate on air suspension recently here:

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9517&hilit=20+inch+air+suspension
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

To an extent it will depend on your driving priorities - including your typical motoring - city, motorways, rural - and if you will be towing something heavy. Can I suggest that you take an extended test drive of a Macan with PASM and another with Air Suspension [that includes PASM]. Ideally the new GTS model [but doubt any about until March to drive] and both on 20".

I have driven Macans with both set ups and for me and my use PASM only is the best option. I have it on my current SD and in nearly 3 yrs now its been great.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

At around the 24:10 mark in the Autogefuhl review, linked below, he makes a comment about those wanting more comfort should look to the 20" wheels and air suspension.

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9559&start=20#p192681
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I’m having second thoughts on the 20” Spyder wheels purely from a cleaning perspective.

The alternatives I’m looking at are either the 20” Macan Turbo high gloss back:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PLJELCL1

Or the 20” Macan Turbo in satin platinum:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL8NNFT4

Thoughts?
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:28 am
To an extent it will depend on your driving priorities - including your typical motoring - city, motorways, rural - and if you will be towing something heavy. Can I suggest that you take an extended test drive of a Macan with PASM and another with Air Suspension [that includes PASM]. Ideally the new GTS model [but doubt any about until March to drive] and both on 20".

I have driven Macans with both set ups and for me and my use PASM only is the best option. I have it on my current SD and in nearly 3 yrs now its been great.
+1

Wheels and ride I think are more subjective even than colour - I don’t think it really matters what anyone says on ride/wheel size/PASM or air suspension you have to test drive and set the priority for your personal preference and decide if you agree with the reviewers and or forum posters.

Porsche fitting 21" wheels and air suspension on recent press cars - well they would wouldn't they as it generates more profits and if the reviews perpetuate that 21s look the best, but you need air suspension then all the better.

21" wheels and no PASM was fine when we test drove back to back with and without PASM (no cars without 21" available...); we found little difference in comfort, but on the firmer setting (+2) we liked the improved handling, I doubt I could tell the difference if I drove a 20" wheel vs a 21" if I didn’t know which was fitted when I got in, but then its subjective. If it had air however I think I would know regardless of wheel size to much float on my test drive.

We have a Cayman 718 on 20" wheels, 30 profile tyres and no PASM - perfectly acceptable for us and again we did with and without PASM test drives, which according to every review you could find its a must to have PASM with 20" wheels. We are now on 18" winters with 45 profile and I can tell little difference in them compared to our 20s.

I think the biggest wheel sizes on a Porsche suspension/chassis is better than the smallest wheel combo on an Audi - its the chassis and suspension tech that has the biggest impact, not the wheel size - again IMHO.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Bazza06 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 pm I’m having second thoughts on the 20” Spyder wheels purely from a cleaning perspective.

The alternatives I’m looking at are either the 20” Macan Turbo high gloss back:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PLJELCL1

Or the 20” Macan Turbo in satin platinum:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL8NNFT4

Thoughts?
I cannot recommend Wheel Woolies enough. These worked brilliantly on my black Spyders and, this really is not an exaggeration, I found I could clean all four wheels in the time it used to take me to clean just one with a microfibre. The main issue is keeping them clean, as after a few miles they'll have brown brake dust on them again!
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

And cheaper than upgrading the wheels 😀
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

My opinion:

Non GTS models

- 20" with air - great
- 20" without air - great
- 21" with air - great
- 21" without air, with PASM - okay but some handling/comfort issues (may not be a big deal to many people)
- 21" without air or PASM - poor; more handling/comfort issues

GTS models

- 20" with air - fantastic - but may be too 'floaty' for some when driven very hard
- 20" without air - fantastic - the best option if you like steel springs; gives the most focussed GTS handling
- 21" with air - okay but not quite as good as the previous two options
- 21" without air - just don't do it; this will compromise the GTS handling/comfort

Note the GTS is lowered compared to non-GTS models. It's more sensitive to wheel size and suspension changes. This is why I've separated out the models above. A lot of people will comment saying 21" on PASM is great, however they may not be talking about GTS models.

I'm a perfectionist - I want the best suspension/handling setup on my car. The quality of that takes precedence over looks. Although, conveniently for me, I think the 20" black Spyders are the best looking GTS wheel.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Great summary and very helpful, Paul.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver