2020 S vs GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Hi folks,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on 2020 Macan S vs GTS.

I have configured an S and GTS with almost the same set of options as below (these are the specific options I am after)

S: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PLDF78P0

GTS: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PLIQHLU9

I understand that the GTS has the same engine as the Turbo variant (albeit detuned, around 26hp more than S),15mm lower suspension and some cosmetic ‘upgrades’ as default option.

Adding the options I need and making the two as ‘identical’ as possible (default cosmetic options such as clear rear LED bar are left as they come), the price difference is approximately £6.4k

My question is:

Given that those are exactly the options I need/want, does the “inherent” difference between the two builds (namely the minor cosmetic differences (totally subjective matter and I can live with either), different engine unit and corresponding performance difference, and the lower, more ‘sporty’ suspension) justify the £6.4k gap?

Would be interested to hear your personal thoughts.

Thanks

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

ecmacan wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 pm Hi folks,

I have configured an S and GTS with almost the same set of options as below (these are the specific options I am after)

I understand that the GTS has the same engine as the Turbo variant (albeit detuned, around 26hp more than S),15mm lower suspension and some cosmetic ‘upgrades’ as default option.

Adding the options I need and making the two as ‘identical’ as possible (default cosmetic options such as clear rear LED bar are left as they come), the price difference is approximately £6.4k

My question is:

Given that those are exactly the options I need/want, does the “inherent” difference between the two builds (namely the minor cosmetic differences (totally subjective matter and I can live with either), different engine unit and corresponding performance difference, and the lower, more ‘sporty’ suspension) justify the £6.4k gap?

Thanks

Hi,
I had the similar choice and for me GTS was a no brainer. I wanted PDLS+, Sports exhaust, partial leather, PASM & red calipers (which you can’t buy on an S). I also wanted 911 turbo 21" wheels and didn’t want to pay £3.3k, £1k on a GTS and 8 way seats good enough upgrade from the standard S seats too. The aesthetic add ones black aluminum, sport design and rear light bar changes all looked good too. The GTS .

I also built both cars, as you have done, to the same level and I got the GTS to be around £2.5k cheaper than the equivalent S with my options added.

The other big factor for me was the higher potential residuals on the GTS vs the S. Also the final value of the car is calculated from the list price; If this list price around £8k of extras you would buy anyway then you should see this reflected in the trade in price/GFV - if it’s got 40% depreciation then you are paying 40% of list for the included extra's vs adding the same to the S. Some may dispute this, but that’s my take based on how the PCP final values are calculated.

I realise from your specs that you have missed out many of the GTS extras that do not appeal to you, but did to mee - everyones different, so in that case, if its £2.5k cheaper then the S is probably for you.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

My question is:

Thanks
Welcome to the Porsche family and this Forum

I currently have a Macan SD that i specified from new in 2017. Great car and i really like the torque of the 3.0 diesel. In Dec I went to my Porsche dealer to order an S, but the day before the GTS was announced.

For me it was definitely the GTS for these reasons....
# more power and more torque with the twin turbo 2.9 engine
# better handling and with a lower ride height
# black accents - to make a marked change from my all chrome / silver SD
# painted lower rear / bumper area
# more standard equipment ~ so better residual value

You may want to consider the [£38] smoker's pack to cover the hole in the centre of the switch panel, just below the gear lever.

You will be able to test drive the S and come March a GTS demonstrator should be available at your Porsche dealer.

Good luck with your choice making and do let us know your final decision.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

I would argue it depends on how you drive.

Both cars are way fast enough for UK roads and the opportunity to use full power in even an S is rare.

If you like revving an engine hard and spent a lot of time over say 3500 revs and appreciate the small gain from the lower handing is an advantage then GTS. If you spend more time at lower revs especially driving in auto comfort mode then the S may suit you better. the S actually has more torque from about 1k to 1.6k rpm. The slightly lower height and hence spring travel of the GTS means the S has a marginally better ride. This is reflected in some of the comments on the recent Portugal press trips. From there, some also reckoned the GTS has absolutely no turbo lag whereas some notice slight lag on the S. You no doubt have already test-driven an S as most OPC's have a demonstrator so you will know whether you can live with the S.

Last spring when I wanted delivery if one had been available would have bought a new GTS. Nearly one year on with my S, I would now be less certain. I see from the GTS press days I would have losses as well as gains if I now swopped.

One minor item I do not like about the new GTS is no option but to take the tinted rear light, I much prefer the original for dark or grey cars, in facy most colours
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

kmacuk wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:28 pm The other big factor for me was the higher potential residuals on the GTS vs the S. Also the final value of the car is calculated from the list price; If this list price around £8k of extras you would buy anyway then you should see this reflected in the trade in price/GFV - if it’s got 40% depreciation then you are paying 40% of list for the included extra's vs adding the same to the S. Some may dispute this, but that’s my take based on how the PCP final values are calculated.
I think what you're implying here relates to PCP calculations. My 18 month old GTS just sold for a higher price than its "before options" list price. In the real world, options therefore count towards something. Especially a GTS "with all the correct options", as my dealer puts it.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

My question is:

Thanks
If the S spec gives you all that you want and you are less interested in the GTS elements with a £6.4k differential go for the S, Doubt whether you will recoup that amount at resale. Would suggest think of adding heated steering wheel and the smoker pack to blank the hole. I have Volcano, it’s a great colour but just IMHO the chrome window surrounds on the ones I have seen really date the car 🤐 enjoy your decision making process and get what suits you best 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

ecmacan wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 pm Just wanted to hear your thoughts on 2020 Macan S vs GTS.
There's different reasons people end up with a GTS, including:

1. Those who heavily spec a base or S model and end up with something costing similar to a GTS.
2. Those who want it because its the sportiest car in the Macan line-up. (Not meaning to offend Turbo drivers who have the top model!)

The former usually end up with cars that look like a base Macan with big wheels. It may not even particularly look like a GTS - other than the badge on the back.

The latter usually end up with something performance orientated. It will look like a GTS. They will want the standard 20" wheels - both for performance reasons (best GTS handling) and so the car aesthetically stands out as a GTS model.

I will of course try and tempt some of the people in the former category to have a better think about what makes a GTS a GTS!

Anyway, in your case there is still enough of a cost difference to consider purchasing the S model. You're still £6K short of your GTS model. I don't think there is significant concern from a financial perspective, including depreciation. If your gap was a bit less, I'd of course recommend the GTS model. As it stands, I think both work.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I believe the price difference is less than £6.4k as you should compare config as close as possible - the GTS has sport exhaust & sport tailpipes as standard (£2248) + the SportDesign package at £2096 on top of few options that are cheaper for the GTS (e.g. PDLS+)... So if you don t want/need those above options, then S it is but if you want them GTS is a no brainer. I made the same comparaison in 2017 for my GTS vs S and I bought a GTS. But at the end whatever Macan you choose , you will have made a good choice.
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

PaulR wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm
kmacuk wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:28 pm The other big factor for me was the higher potential residuals on the GTS vs the S. Also the final value of the car is calculated from the list price; If this list price around £8k of extras you would buy anyway then you should see this reflected in the trade in price/GFV - if it’s got 40% depreciation then you are paying 40% of list for the included extra's vs adding the same to the S. Some may dispute this, but that’s my take based on how the PCP final values are calculated.
I think what you're implying here relates to PCP calculations. My 18 month old GTS just sold for a higher price than its "before options" list price. In the real world, options therefore count towards something. Especially a GTS "with all the correct options", as my dealer puts it.
I am not implying this is PCP only, residuals and GFV (PCP) are the same for me and not specific to PCP only. The GFV indicates the underwriter’s minimum the dealer will value the car at time of PCP or trade in, so I use this as a basis for my minimum trade in value, which I would hope would improve at negotiating time.

As this value is calculated as a %age of list price any car with included extras carriers the same depreciation as the car, unlike a lower spec car with the same extras added. I think there is a slightly higher residual on the base model vs the higher GTS/turbo models, which will impact slightly.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
adam b

Post by adam b »

MikeM wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm I have Volcano, it’s a great colour but just IMHO the chrome window surrounds on the ones I have seen really date the car 🤐 enjoy your decision making process and get what suits you best 👍
Was about to say the same, you need to add black gloss window surrounds to your S spec so the car doesn't look awful IMHO

I would go GTS every time as the PSE/design pack appeal to me, for you it is an even call if you don't value those things.

There again if I wanted a GTS I would add the GTS features like the proper GTS interior
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)