Pads and discs

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Uni11 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am If I didn’t have 2years 2months warranty left I would’ve gone down the route of upgraded discs and pads. For now I guess il just have to buy genuine parts and get a local garage to fit them.

That was a great write up camgts
I've just got my local garage to do mine, All OEM Brembo parts, discs and pads all round, £800 parts and £138 labour (both plus VAT). Mine's still under extended warranty for another year, 4 years old and 60K. It's in for the 60k service at Porsche next week and there's no way they're charging me £1,700+ for them.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6

BHT

Post by BHT »

CamGTS wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:32 pm ..... Now this is the important bit - before you do anything else like trying to remove calipers etc you need to put the caliper into service mode. You do this by turning the female torx on the back of the caliper clockwise until it stops.
CamGTS wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:32 pm.... Now here is an another important bit. Once you have everything in place and tightened you need to apply the EPB before you do anything else. You will hear it whirring in the same way as usual when you apply the EPB but it will take a lot longer - up to 10-15 secs. Now you can push the brake pedal which should be firm.
Hi, Just a quick question. Am I right in thinking the female torx described in the first quote resets its self by applying the EPB?
2017 Macan diesel with all available options.
GWDALBA

Post by GWDALBA »

BigPhil am I right in thinking that if using OEM Brembo parts and fitted at an Indy then this does not compromise the warranty rules?
2016 Macan GTS in Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S 987 in GT Silver
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

that is correct BHT. that is the whirring sound as it resets
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

GWDALBA - the front calipers are Brembo but the OEM pads are Textar so if you fit Brembo pads and OPC notices it will likely be an issue for your warranty.
I fitted Brembo discs as they have no markings or part numbers and when my car was in for service no comment was made OPC.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

GWDALBA wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:20 pm BigPhil am I right in thinking that if using OEM Brembo parts and fitted at an Indy then this does not compromise the warranty rules?
Yes, that's correct. I had mine replaced in lockdown when Hatfield OPC was shut apart from breakdowns. I went to my local guys who look after my work fleet and asked them to make sure they sourced the OEM parts.

I recently went back to Hatfield as I had a blocked drain in the pano roof which had soaked the carpet and also a warning light for the offside headlight. Both these were fixed under warranty (now in year 2 of an extended warranty). I told them the brakes had been replaced by local guys as they were shut under lockdown and needed them changing. I said they were OEM parts and they shrugged and said "no problem, they're only brakes".

So, yes, certainly as far as Hatfield are concerned, use OEM parts, much like N rated tyres that I've always had fitted locally, then no problem. At the end of the day they're both consumables, and another grand for getting them done at the OPC is a big slug of money.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
BHT

Post by BHT »

CamGTS wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:32 pm that is correct BHT. that is the whirring sound as it resets
Thank you CamGTS.

I have booked mine in with RPMTechnik to have them done this time round as I'm currently suffering with b'stardo kidney stones and waiting for an op.

Next time they need replacing I will be doing it myself thanks to your helpful notes.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Thanks for this thread, booked in for an MOT and i noticed that last year discs and pads were an advisory.

Just ran a micrometer over the discs and they're less than half worn!

Obviously last year they were softening me up for a thorough shafting this year!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
BHT

Post by BHT »

Mine were warped rather than worn thin Tim. I was surprised at this as I'm not heavy on the brakes.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

BHT wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:11 pm Mine were warped rather than worn thin Tim. I was surprised at this as I'm not heavy on the brakes.
Any idea what warped them?

They're quite meaty discs, did you feel any judder?
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab