Ordered 2.0 Base Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DougL

Post by DougL »

I know I'm going to get flamed for ordering the base car, but I've done it.

Four years ago or so I had a Macan SD but that was sold on when I moved into the city and all of my journeys became short. Like many on here I had always dismissed the 2.0 VAG engine in the Macan as I thought it would not have sufficient power for the weight of the car. The EA888 had always impressed me though because it is one of the smoothest and best 2.0 petrol engines around. I should know as I drove one of the first Mk7 Golf GTIs before I traded it for the Macan. I am currently driving a 2.0 Mercedes petrol and that engine is much coarser than the VAG unit. However, I prefer it to the the Mercedes V6 3.0 petrol which I also had for a short period! Perhaps oddly I'm more into four cylinder cars!

Anyway, I borrowed a base Macan for the weekend and loved it. Gave me plenty of time to get used to the feel of the car. However, when it came down to speccing, I discovered that the V6 Macan S was only £1500 more than the base, plus probably a higher first year road tax. So, I went and took the S out for a quick run on roads I knew. I much preferred the 2.0 car as the nose felt considerably lighter. The car just felt more pointy. It also made more sense for mainly suburban driving. One thing I noticed about the V6 was that it sounded great on start-up but boring at higher RPM. I found the opposite of the 2.0.

Anyway, I've specced the car the way I want it, trying to keep the on the road cost to around £55k which I have managed with a little bit of "help" from my dealer ;)

Here is the code:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLK499I3

I may add Power Steering Plus later if I really don't get on with the standard version. I also intend to either have the standard matt dashboard wrapped at a later date, though it is possible to buy trim kits if I want to upgrade. I hate piano black and always try to avoid it! Hopefully supply chain issues from China won't delay the car too much...

jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Good Spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If you are doing mostly city driving the 2 litre engine makes more sense.

Engines in most cars are getting smaller and smaller. The 1 litre turbo engines in other cars are apparently very good.

Hopefully you have not too long to wait for your Macan :D :D :D
pmg

Post by pmg »

DougL wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:19 am I hate piano black and always try to avoid it!

Have you considered "Brushed aluminium interior package" in configurator under "interior aluminium package" costs £329.

The car I drove at PEC had this and I wished I had included it to repace the Piano Black in my spec. would make your Porsche code PLBHHK58
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

My suggested changes would be:

Add - Mid section apron painted and sport exhaust tips.

Remove - Adaptive cruise control.

That's roughly cost neutral. IMHO the car looks much better with the mid-section painted unless the body colour is dark grey or black. The sports exhaust makes the base Macan look just like the S.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
DougL

Post by DougL »

cfmerc.jpg

pmg wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:04 am
Have you considered "Brushed aluminium interior package" in configurator under "interior aluminium package" costs £329.

The car I drove at PEC had this and I wished I had included it to repace the Piano Black in my spec. would make your Porsche code PLBHHK58
I did consider it yes. I think it looks all wrong with the Mojave Beige interior, just too light. I had the aluminium with my last SD which is in my signature.

Here is what I am considering...

I was talking to the guy on the parts counter and he will give me a discount on parts. I am considering leaving the matt black panels on the doors as they don't look too out of place. BUT I may replace the three dash panels with the BLACK brushed aluminium when it becomes available to order. The three dash panels would cost around £350 (not on configurator).

The other option is to go onto Tequipment and order the carbon fibre kit which includes the doors. This actually works out about £50 cheaper than speccing it on the configurator. I'm also taken by the dark chestnut. This would be around £750 for the three dash panels or around £1260 for dash and doors.

I may however just use a really high quality 3M carbon wrap on the dash pieces... I wrapped the very scratched centre piano black centre console in my E400 and it looked really very good!
DougL

Post by DougL »

On-Track wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 am My suggested changes would be:

Add - Mid section apron painted and sport exhaust tips.

Remove - Adaptive cruise control.

That's roughly cost neutral. IMHO the car looks much better with the mid-section painted unless the body colour is dark grey or black. The sports exhaust makes the base Macan look just like the S.
I prefer the black contrast on the skirts. The adaptive cruise gives autonomous braking which is an absolute must for me, especially with the distractions of the PCM!
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Your spec is similar to mine in that you’ve gone for 18 inch wheels although you’ve paid £387 to up-spec them to the S wheels. The standard wheels look decent to me. I’d save the money and go with standard wheels. Other thing is sill guards which can't be seen most of the time – I’d rather spend the £168 on meals out for self + wife.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
DougL

Post by DougL »

I get that with the sill bits, but just plastic looks so cheap. I much prefer the ride on 18 inch wheels. Just saw two cars sitting together outside my dealers in Sapphire one with base wheels and one with S wheels. Made the decision for me to be honest as I really like the S wheels.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

DougL wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:19 am I know I'm going to get flamed for ordering the base car, but I've done it.

Four years ago or so I had a Macan SD but that was sold on when I moved into the city and all of my journeys became short. Like many on here I had always dismissed the 2.0 VAG engine in the Macan as I thought it would not have sufficient power for the weight of the car. The EA888 had always impressed me though because it is one of the smoothest and best 2.0 petrol engines around. I should know as I drove one of the first Mk7 Golf GTIs before I traded it for the Macan. I am currently driving a 2.0 Mercedes petrol and that engine is much coarser than the VAG unit. However, I prefer it to the the Mercedes V6 3.0 petrol which I also had for a short period! Perhaps oddly I'm more into four cylinder cars!

Anyway, I borrowed a base Macan for the weekend and loved it. Gave me plenty of time to get used to the feel of the car. However, when it came down to speccing, I discovered that the V6 Macan S was only £1500 more than the base, plus probably a higher first year road tax. So, I went and took the S out for a quick run on roads I knew. I much preferred the 2.0 car as the nose felt considerably lighter. The car just felt more pointy. It also made more sense for mainly suburban driving. One thing I noticed about the V6 was that it sounded great on start-up but boring at higher RPM. I found the opposite of the 2.0.

Anyway, I've specced the car the way I want it, trying to keep the on the road cost to around £55k which I have managed with a little bit of "help" from my dealer ;)

Here is the code:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLK499I3

This is a good spec and nice car - particularly the colour ;). I think the S is probably a better financial choice based on the small difference in purchase price, but I understand the logic in getting the smaller engine, which is by no means slow - don’t think any Macan is a bad choice, they are all good and fit different needs.
If you don’t need the 14 way you could stay with the standard 8 way seats and add the memory module, if you don’t mind losing a few adjustments. There are a few comments on here indicating its preferable to stay with the GTS supplied seats, advice which I took on my build.

Interesting read here confirming your solid selection vs the previous car of the year Jag F pace. No contest, the residuals alone make the Macan the car of choice:

[url]https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan/106118/porsche-macan-vs-jaguar-f-pace
[/url]
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)