LED upgrade for the Halogen lights - A guide

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TonyZed

Post by TonyZed »

You keep mentioning that the H15 is for the main/sidelight. Don't you mean main/daylight running light?
Mine is a 2015 model, maybe it is different. My sidelights are the strip in the bumper where the indicators are!

I can confirm however, that this is a great mod which I have been running for about eight months now. Brighter, whiter lights with no issues from other drivers. Mine passed the MOT with no problem.

TonyZ

CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

Generally retrofit LED headlight bulbs are not E marked and so not legal for road use (it even says that on the packaging) so if noticed it could be an MOT failure - https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ ... in-the-uk/
Good luck
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

TonyZed wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 am You keep mentioning that the H15 is for the main/sidelight. Don't you mean main/daylight running light?
Mine is a 2015 model, maybe it is different. My sidelights are the strip in the bumper where the indicators are!

I can confirm however, that this is a great mod which I have been running for about eight months now. Brighter, whiter lights with no issues from other drivers. Mine passed the MOT with no problem.

TonyZ
I guess it's just terminology. The H15 does main and another small lamp that stays on in the sidelight position. it could be called a daylight running light but I thought that was the LED strip?

What have you fitted?
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

CamGTS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:42 am Generally retrofit LED headlight bulbs are not E marked and so not legal for road use (it even says that on the packaging) so if noticed it could be an MOT failure - https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ ... in-the-uk/
Good luck
Correct they are not technically legal. However, as far as i am aware, bulbs are not checked for E markings during the MOT. LED bulbs like the Philips are expensive and have the correct beam pattern to not blind other users. Even more true when used in a projector headlight like the Macan has. The MOT only checks a dipped beam pattern anyway I believe. All the other bulbs are just checked to see if they work or not.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
TonyZed

Post by TonyZed »

" I guess it's just terminology. The H15 does main and another small lamp that stays on in the sidelight position. it could be called a daylight running light but I thought that was the LED strip?

What have you fitted?"

If yours is the same as mine, you'll find that the LED strips are on with the rear lights and number plate lights and all go off if when turn your lights off, hence sidelights. The drls, which are on the same bulb as the main beam, are on all the time your engine is going.
My low beams were from Amazon, but not available now so no details. My main beam/drl are from EMTuning. I have just ordered foglamps as per your recommendation

TonyZ
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

A quick update. The car sailed through the MOT with no advisories.

I am not at all impressed with the Osram Cool Blue Intense H15 Halogen bulbs. There are a little brighter but still look like dull Halogens. I then tried some H15 V6 LED bulbs which flickered so no good. However, after translating some threads on the French Macan Forams I think I have found some H15 LED's that will work OK, they are currently on route. The problem is that most H15 bulbs are used for dipped and high beam but the Macan uses them as DRL and Highbeam. Therefore the DLR needs to be not too powerful

The H7 Philips bulbs (dipped beam) have been changed today for these from America:-

https://headlightrevolution.com/v-4-led ... -h7-bulbs/

They are very expensive but very good. I have used a lux meter (light meter) to test them and they are about 30% brighter than the Philips LED's and no errors. So we really are getting to a good solution now that is about 250% brighter than the original Halogens on dipped beam, probably about the same as the Xenons.

Will update on the H15's once they arrive..........to be continued.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Another quick update on this and hopefully my last. I upgraded the H7 bulbs again to these from the USA:-

https://headlightrevolution.com/v-4-led ... h7-bulbs/

Not cheap but no errors and 30% brighter than the Philips (I measured them). The dipped lights are very useful now and work well. These must be 2.5x brighter than the standard halogens and make a massive difference. No UK sellers so have to be imported from USA.

The H15 bulbs were much more problematic. I tried 3 or 4 different LED solutions but none of them worked well or gave errors. Then finally I found one that does work. The DRL function is fine. It's bright but not too bright. The high beam works OK but is quite diffuse. It doesn't focus as far down the road as I would like. That said the dipped H7 bulbs are so good that when used together (as they are on high beam) the results are excellent. Not too expensive, no errors, no resistors to be added etc. They just work:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H15-CSP-LED- ... 2749.l2649

If I was to change just one bulb it would be the H7 in the projector.

I hope that helps others so they don't have to go through the pain that i have!!! Moral of the story, buy Xenon or LED fitted as standard. If not then the above is probably as good as you can get.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

I take it back, the H15 solution doesn't work. I must have tried about 10 different LED solutions now and none of them work correctly. Even with the DLR current 100% correct (1.3A @12V) the car's system switches on the DRL and high beam all the time yet gives no errors.....I can't work it out.

So H7 (dipped Beam) is easy and very worthwhile to change, H15 (DLR and High Beam) is impossible.......I give up!

If anyone finds an H15 solution that works please let me know.
bdev

Post by bdev »

Hi Rich - Was there any issues with the Philips H7s ? - did you only change them for the extra brightness ?
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

bdev wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 pm Hi Rich - Was there any issues with the Philips H7s ? - did you only change them for the extra brightness ?
Yes no issues with the Philips H7 at all. Just changed them as the USA ones which were 30% brighter. I used the Gen 2 Philips ones.