LED upgrade for the Halogen lights - A guide

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bdev

Post by bdev »

Thanks Rich - looking at Powerbulbs.com -

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tr ... bs-h7-twin

Did you need the separately order able canbus adapter ?

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/phil ... adapter-h7

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

bdev wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:53 pm Thanks Rich - looking at Powerbulbs.com -

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tr ... bs-h7-twin

Did you need the separately order able canbus adapter ?

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/phil ... adapter-h7
Mine came with a canbus adapter but it wasn't shown in the instructions at all.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Hi, I am having the same issue with my 2016 Macan, useless headlights! I would like to give the sv-4 LEDs H7 alternatives a try but which actual version did you get? I've followed the link and seen the review but when I put my car details in the results all seem too be for fog lights rather than dipped beam?
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Yes it says Fog light bulb but it is a H7 for the dipped beam. I just checked the link and it is correct.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/s-v ... quantity=1

I also just checked the part number on the box I have and it is SN.LED118 as per the link. Such a pity there is no reseller in the UK. There are two on eBay UK but these are Chinese copies, not the real thing.

Remember that is for one pair so just order one. I did have to pay import duties too which adds to the cost. Having been so pleased with these that I took the risk and got the H15 version last month for the High Beam/DRL. While they work perfectly electrically, with no errors, they do not fit into the headlight as they are too long by about 3mm. Expensive mistake as the cost to return them is high.

I do have another H15 to try this weekend from LEDPERF in France but it looks identical to one I tried before. I Will update shortly.

The car was in for a service this week and they never said a word about the H7 bulb fitted.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Many thanks Ti Rich, I'll give them a go. I bought my car second hand and never considered the quality of the headlamps. It is scandalous to sell a 140mph car which is useless on unlit roads. I've recently changed my bulbs for some "better" ones from Powerbulbs but I haven't detected any discernible improvement. Thanks for your quick response.
Doug P.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Yes, I got mine 2nd hand. I tried to live with them but my last BMW had amazing fully adaptive LED's and I had to do something. Just hoping I can help others who are in the same situation, it's cost me a fortune so far finding ones that work well and without errors.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

I've ordered the SV-4 H7s from the States so will add my findings when fitted. My previous car was a ~Discovery Sport which I had from new and had Bi Xenons so it was a complete shock when I drover the Macan on an unlit road. Speed limit was 60 but I felt unsafe at 40. Only got rid of Discovery after it needed a new engine at less than 18k miles and 33 months old, fortunately engine replaced under warranty but still had issues so got rid.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Well a bit of a breakthrough, I have finally found an H15 bulb that not only works but works really well.
The bulb can be obtained from LEDPERF in France. It looks very similar to one I tried off eBay some months back but it is NOT the same. I am guessing that the Ebay one was a copy of this.

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/high-power-le ... 12823.html

The H15 is labeled daytime and high beam. The picture on that link is NOT what you get. It actually looks like this:-

The H15 bulb is tricky to fit in that you have to rotate it 90 degrees to lock into position. The bulb is fitted with a rubber sealing washer (not shown in this picture) which makes it almost impossible to turn due to friction. Remove it and its to lose. The trick is to use a little lubrication on the washer and it will then fit and turn. Getting the bulb into position is not easy and requires the hands of a Gynaecologist. But keep on trying and it will fit. The LED control box will also fit within the headlight casing no problem.
The DLR and High beam both work great, no errors or issues.

The performance of the lights is now very good. Not as good as the proper Porsche LED system ( I had a loan 718 last week to compare) but not bad at all. For about £350 for the Dipped, Fogs and these, it’s a very worthwhile upgrade for those with Halogens.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Hi Rich, Sorry to be pedantic but are these the Next G Error Free bulbs or the slightly cheaper High Power LED Conversion kit?
Aberdeenlad

Post by Aberdeenlad »

Hello ,
Just looked on the LEDPERF site and they are doing a HID conversion kit .. any ideas if this is worth a go or just go with the LED conversion kit ( they do not say they are high beam just low beam LED
This site is LEDPERF. co.uk so maybe a different one from where you bought yours ?

Maybe I just need pointing in the right direction to get the low and the high beam sorted and whether i need two sets of new bulbs ?

Im new to this Macan group and looking for a common problem by the looks ? Sorry if this has been discussed to death before!