LED upgrade for the Halogen lights - A guide

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Wrason wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm Hi Rich, Sorry to be pedantic but are these the Next G Error Free bulbs or the slightly cheaper High Power LED Conversion kit?
My receipt says :-

1 x High Power LED Conversion Kit for Porsche Macan (KITLDMACANWH) = £98.91
- Daytime and High Beam

My Order number was 940480, ask for the same!
Last edited by Ti Rich on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

HID kits will definitely fail the MOT, I would avoid that.

H7 is the low beam, H15 is the Day Light Running and High Beam. They are two separate bulbs. I have not tied the H7 from LEDPERF so can't say if it will fit or work sorry. The H7 ones I mention in this thread do work /fit for sure.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Aberdeenlad wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:28 pm Hello ,
Just looked on the LEDPERF site and they are doing a HID conversion kit .. any ideas if this is worth a go or just go with the LED conversion kit ( they do not say they are high beam just low beam LED
This site is LEDPERF. co.uk so maybe a different one from where you bought yours ?

Maybe I just need pointing in the right direction to get the low and the high beam sorted and whether i need two sets of new bulbs ?

Im new to this Macan group and looking for a common problem by the looks ? Sorry if this has been discussed to death before!
Wouldn’t go near HID now that LEDs are available. Historically there has been anecdotal evidence that HIDs can discolour the reflectors and can also be failed at MoT tests.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Hi Rich,
I have now fitted both LED conversions and agree that the improvement of the standard halogens is excellent. Thanks for your help in finding suitable replacements; I now feel it is much safer on unlit roads. I found that the H15 bulb was tricky to fit but was easier to rotate with careful levering with a screwdriver in the fins of the bulb and pushed against the housing. Not ideal as the potential for damage is probably quite high but it worked for me.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Wrason wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 am Hi Rich,
I have now fitted both LED conversions and agree that the improvement of the standard halogens is excellent. Thanks for your help in finding suitable replacements; I now feel it is much safer on unlit roads. I found that the H15 bulb was tricky to fit but was easier to rotate with careful levering with a screwdriver in the fins of the bulb and pushed against the housing. Not ideal as the potential for damage is probably quite high but it worked for me.
So glad you are happy. I agree the H15 is not easy to fit and I did the same as you using a small screwdriver against the fins. Using a bit of lube on the seal certainly helps here!

I am glad the pain I went through has helped others. For the record I have not been flashed once, the beam pattern is spot on.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Next problem is how to set the satnav volume independently of the radio! Plenty of posts on this and I have occasionally managed to sort this until the radio is turned on which cocks it all up again!! Common fault on VW group cars apparently. Life's not perfect!!
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Wrason wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 am Next problem is how to set the satnav volume independently of the radio! Plenty of posts on this and I have occasionally managed to sort this until the radio is turned on which cocks it all up again!! Common fault on VW group cars apparently. Life's not perfect!!
Don't you just adjust the volume while it is giving you instructions?

I had Carplay fitted a few weeks ago. So much better as I have the choice of Google maps, Waze, or Apple Maps to use.
Wrason

Post by Wrason »

Adjusting the volume during instructions works for a while until the radio is subsequently turned on.
Unfortunately I have an Android mobile which is not supported by my 2016 registered car, I think it might be from 2017. Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things!
Clossie

Post by Clossie »

Not wanting to pee over everyone’s attempts to resolve the woefully poor halogen lights on their Macan, but please do be aware that on 11th Jan this year, the MOT rules for headlamps were revised further to specifically reference aftermarket LED’s. An MOT tester can now reportedly fail a car with LED bulbs, I assume by looking at the light output as they could with HID conversions: This further infers that driving with LED’s between tests could render your car non MOT compliant and doesn’t this mean therefore uninsured?. If anyone knows a friendly MOT tester I’d be interested in their views as I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of LED’s from LEDperf but a mechanic pointed this rule change out to me and suggested I dig further.

section 4.1.4
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Clossie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:18 pm Not wanting to pee over everyone’s attempts to resolve the woefully poor halogen lights on their Macan, but please do be aware that on 11th Jan this year, the MOT rules for headlamps were revised further to specifically reference aftermarket LED’s. An MOT tester can now reportedly fail a car with LED bulbs, I assume by looking at the light output as they could with HID conversions: This further infers that driving with LED’s between tests could render your car non MOT compliant and doesn’t this mean therefore uninsured?. If anyone knows a friendly MOT tester I’d be interested in their views as I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of LED’s from LEDperf but a mechanic pointed this rule change out to me and suggested I dig further.

section 4.1.4
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
Interesting, thanks.

To see the projector bulb (H7) they would need to take apart the headlamp or know what every make and model should be fitted with- I can't see that happening.

They can see the H15 bulb. If it fails the MOT on that I will swap it and probably sell the car too. I can't live with the standard halogens, too dangerous.