Macan S and Volvo XC40 T4 impressions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I recently upgraded my wife’s chariot. She decided that she likes the luxury, looks, fit and finish of XC40 T4 (something) Pro. Well, I have to admit that I am impressed with her choice. While XC40 T4 is not a direct match for Macan S, it is hard not to compare, so here goes...

THe ride and drive of XC40 is firm but comfortable. The seats are excellent, clad with real leather. Steering is direct, too light for me, although great for my wife. The indicator/lights/wipers levers feel actually better than Macan’s. The four-pot T4 motor shifts through the 8-speed ZF transmission perfectly. It is a very capable vehicle, feels very light and responsive. Instrument cluster is fully digital, displaying analogue dials with SatNav maps in between. Centre console looks a bit dated, but is very functional and easy to navigate. The engine noise is refined, but for me its rather underwhelming. The electronics and controls are more intuitive in the Volvo, but that is not a major issue if you are a man that likes engineering puzzles.

In conclusion, I much prefer my Macan S seating position, handling and performance, but XC40 feels more solid, not a rattle or squeak anywhere. To be fair, I should compare the XC40 with similar mileage, I will write a follow-up in few months. It’s a perfect car for my wife and I am not embarrassed to take it for a ride now and then. What I absolutely love about the XC40, is that it flashes a camera icon, next to the speed limit, when approaching a traffic camera box on the road... I wish I had it in Macan S! Can we have it in the next SatNav software release? I don’t see the reason why not.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4