Keep your battery healthy too

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RGS

Post by RGS »

For those using CTEC chargers via 12v sockets, if the vehicle hasn't been used for a while the 12v sockets will shut down and the charger won't connect to the battery. Turn the key in the ignition to liven up the sockets and once connected the charger will work. I wondered why my CTEC wasn't working this morning when I plugged it in, the green light was flashing which indicated a failure to connect, but it's working fine now after turning the key in the ignition briefly.

RAA

Post by RAA »

RGS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:23 am For those using CTEC chargers via 12v sockets, if the vehicle hasn't been used for a while the 12v sockets will shut down and the charger won't connect to the battery. Turn the key in the ignition to liven up the sockets and once connected the charger will work. I wondered why my CTEC wasn't working this morning when I plugged it in, the green light was flashing which indicated a failure to connect, but it's working fine now after turning the key in the ignition briefly.
Hi RGS, Is your Macan pre-2019 facelift ? Would turning the ignition key on briefly, also work for a facelifted Macan S ? Would that ensure that the connection with the battery would continue indefinitely (or just for a limited time) ? I have a CTEK or order, also a 12v socket adapter.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I think that if the car detects an inward voltage rather than a drain, it keeps the socket live - so you need to get the CTEK connected and charging before the car shuts down the socket, or bring it to live again by turning on the ignition.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
RGS

Post by RGS »

Mine is a 2020 Turbo but I don't think that matters, I used the boot 12v socket because my car lives outside and I have to use an extension lead. I have found that an extension lead feeds through the boot which can then be closed and locked without damaging the cable or rubber seals. Once you have livened up the socket by driving the car or just turning the ignition on briefly it will stay live as long as the CTEC is charging, it can be a long process to fully charge the battery depending on the age of the battery and how much charge it has before you start the process
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I plugged the Ctek MXS 5 into the Macan cigarette lighter socket in the armrest yesterday around 1pm. Started on light 3. By 6pm it was on light 4.

By 9am the next morning it was on light 7 (as people mention it’s a faint green light)
Not bad for a car that is not used regularly. Very easy to use Ctek device and very happy I purchased it.
Thanks for the help from this forum. 👍
GTS 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:32 pm https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/coronaviru ... ead%20more

The official PORSCHE statement:

Capture.PNG
Thanks for that, answers my e hybrid quandary perfectly. I did wonder how the normal battery would be charged during a long shutdown. It is oppositely also Lithium so certainly didn't want to hook the trickle charger up as i would on the previous cars.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
lookalike50

Post by lookalike50 »

I've had a slightly different experience to previous posters which I thought worth sharing.

I have a 2017 turbo which I've only clocked up 300 miles in since Xmas! Suffice to say the battery became quite poorly resulting in the dashboard message "Low battery. Start engine and run for extended period". Even before getting this message, I'd read this thread and ordered myself the CTEK MXS 5 from Demon Tweeks. I followed the instructions for using the 12v socket, but it would not stay connected beyond the 20 minutes. Grrrr.

So I connected it up to the terminals under the bonnet and left it. Light 3 came on quite quickly, Light 4 after around 18 hours and Light 7 was on when I next checked 2-3 hours after that. Now when I connect it to the 12v socket it DOES stay connected beyond 20 minutes. Not only that, now I have a healthy battery again, my Comfort Entry system works too.

So, the weaker your battery, the more functions shut down....one of which is the 12v socket connectivity.

One for the Good-to-Know app maybe?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I came across this from CTEK, short and simple most FAQ’s answered.

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My Gen 1 will be laid up for about three months and in preparation for this I added a trailing socket connected directly to the Battery which is in the boot under the Spare wheel.

I will not be very mobile myself but will be able to check that all is OK just by opening the garage door where the ctek will be easily seen
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags