Keep your battery healthy too

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

LVision wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:29 am Been using the MSX5 for a while now and can highly recommend it. Quick question though, I’ve never put mine into AGM mode, in the instruction booklet it says that Normal Car Mode charges AGM batteries as well ??? Never had any problems in all the time I've used it in standard mode, would welcome others comments.
In AGM batteries, the positive and negative plates are separated by an absorbent glass mat that absorbs and holds the battery’s acid and prevents it from flowing freely inside the battery. The plates are tightly compressed into each cell and held under pressure in the plastic case. The internal compression limits the shedding of plate material caused by cycling and allows for significantly longer life.

It is the case that the battery in your car is AGM and there is an AGM selection option on the charger. Logically, there must be a reason why the AGM option is there? What benefits or loss you get for selecting or not selecting this option I don't know?

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Thanks all for your replies and very much appreciated. . I have ordered ctek mxs 5 with the extension cable and cigarette lighter cable. All in stock at Halfords for delivery tomorrow.

I also found a very helpful site which has them in stock if anyone else needs them and is struggling to find any.
www.smarterchargers.co.uk
GTS 😀
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 am
Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm Hi all. Been a while since I have been on the forum and nice to see a lot of the names of old and plenty of new ones. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I was looking at the Ctek MXS5.0 and wanted to check a couple of things if anyone can answer.

Will it charge the battery if it’s flat? I have been told only the 7.0 will do that but some conflicting info?
Also is the cigarette lighter socket either boot or armrest always live on a December 2016 Macan GTS?
I expect this has been sneered before somewhere on the forum but be great anyone with first had experience.

Appreciate any advise.
Welcome back Kf99! Thought you'd become one of the 'disappeared'!
Thanks Nick. Keep a look in every now and then.
Nice to see many familiar names still around too 👍
GTS 😀
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Also got the MXS 5. I permanently connected the 'O' rings to the under bonnet posts, but the hole diameter is slightly smaller than the posts, so you need to use end snips to break the connector ring, so it can be stretched over. The snap connector with waterproof cover, I leave tucked under the bonnet lip, near the left hand wiper and the rubber, engine bay seal keeps it in place. The cover on the + post will not sit down fully with the wire coming out (I snapped one of the lugs on mine trying), so just leave it perched on top.

A word of warning - I have reversed out of the garage with mine still connected, twice, luckily no damage and the lead just disconnected. I now put a length of hosepipe on the drivers side windscreen as a reminder!

Re: the AGM setting, I have never used it tbh, as I didn't know the Macan was AGM? Have fitted them to motorbikes for years though. The box says, use AGM for stop-start batteries, cold weather and AGM, I disable stop-start every trip, so that's not an issue for me and I've had no problems with the unit working on 'Car' mode over the last 3 years, as mentioned above.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

LVision wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:29 am Been using the MSX5 for a while now and can highly recommend it. Quick question though, I’ve never put mine into AGM mode, in the instruction booklet it says that Normal Car Mode charges AGM batteries as well ??? Never had any problems in all the time I've used it in standard mode, would welcome others comments.
You are correct 👍, normal car mode does cover most AGM batteries. The difference between AGM mode and Normal is that at stages 3-4 & 8 the unit delivers 12.7V to 14.7V whilst Normal max is 14.4V. So really no noticeable difference and won’t in any way harm your battery. If you have a 3.8 or older version the power delivery up to 14.7V can be achieved using the cold weather program. 🥶
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I found my 'old' mxs3.8 did not like the MAcan. Rarely if ever got to 'green' whereas the '5' is excellent and goes green quite quickly. 3.8 was good for both of my Cayman
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

The 3.8 is the same unit originally used for the Porsche branded charger, (not sure if they still market it?) Its fine for most sports cars where they more commonly tend to be garaged for weekend or seasonal usage. The bigger batteries on the SUV’s take more power and doubt many are other than daily usage. I have a couple of 3.8 units that sit on two of my cars with smaller batteries all year round, although it would not be harmful to a Macan battery just struggle to push past 90/95% charge. The 5amp unit is the better choice.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

Can I ask a question of those who have regularly used a CTEK charger? I am only in my 3rd "session". On 1st use, the charger took more than 24 hours to get to light 7. In the second session as the car is roughly 12months old, I decided to give the battery a regen but light 7 was reached well within 24 hours more like 5 or 6. on the 3rd session (car +agm ) the Macan having just done 20 miles and 5 starts, the CTEK flew through all the stages and was on light 7 certainly within about 2 hrs.

My question relates to stage 8 i.e pulse charging. When does that start to happen?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Mine doesn't get to Stage 8 unless it has spent over a week or so at Stage 7. My Macan has been attached to the CTEK MXS 5.0 for nearly 3 weeks and it is remainining at Stage 8.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

View the official videos which are very short and to the point which advise what every step does which may help

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
GTS 😀