Gen 2 How to - Connectivity & Tech

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

So I have een playing with my new GTS, cant drive it much and like figuring out tech.

For Apple users I can confirm (my wife has one) that carplay works wirelessly and very smooth, exactly as it does without the cable. Not used liong enought to determine the battery impact. Whats app works well with voice control, that seems to also work well - for a change, normally scottish dialect is a challenge to voice control systems.

There is no wireless charging, which I think has been noted.

For Android users (me). No carplay as we know, however I have a subscription to Amazon music (excellent for those who do HiFI btw). This does also work wirelessly from your Android phone - great function for me/Android users, as nav is pretty good.

I have added an external sim card (3 network, 24gig card for around £40 and it lasts untill it runs out) - I still need to see what its giving me, beyod wireless hotspot funciton, I suspect its being used for Amazon music.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

Guy

Post by Guy »

^ talking of CarPlay, the latest IOS 13.4 allows you to use third party navigation apps with the CarPlay DashBoard (the split screen setup).

Details here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/26/2119 ... -ios-apple

Apparently Google Maps and Waze are not yet compatible, but it can only be a matter of time.
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Guy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:34 pm ^ talking of CarPlay, the latest IOS 13.4 allows you to use third party navigation apps with the CarPlay DashBoard (the split screen setup).

Apparently Google Maps and Waze are not yet compatible, but it can only be a matter of time.
Apple CarPlay does support google maps and waze. FYI
Guy

Post by Guy »

Bleedsoff wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:19 pm
Guy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:34 pm ^ talking of CarPlay, the latest IOS 13.4 allows you to use third party navigation apps with the CarPlay DashBoard (the split screen setup).

Apple CarPlay does support google maps and waze. FYI
I know. But they are not yet compatible with the dashboard feature, as stated at the link.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

How come our other VAG group car [SEAT Leon] has, as a standard fitment, both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto yet my much more expensive Macan doesn't!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Value added options my friend, value added.............. (rubs hands together, whilst smiling the OPC SE smile)
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Yes but Apple CarPlay comes with the Macan yet Android Auto is not an option at any price :o :( :roll:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

So a bit more playing and much jumping through hoops to try to get Porsche car connect services registered - this is not to be confused with Porsche connect, which is confusing, instead this is what you get setup at hand over, giving the connect standard apps, not the Vodafone remote car connect; I finally have a form I need to printed and signed then hand to the dealer for them to activate, so that’s not happening anytime soon.

Few more things I have learned: Amazon app needs to have either the extra Porsche data package or an external sim (likewise to get the WiFi hotspot function) I have the latter. This is s bit flakey and I think that’s down to the Porsche connect app although network service could also be a factor. The app needs to be running in the background and be connected to the Porsche car WiFi connection to run. When it works it sounds pretty good and works well. Above is all for Android, however it works the same on my wife’s iPhone, you can also use via Carplay, which seems more stable.

I have also loaded 16bit flac files onto a 32gig SD card and the base system does sound is very good, much better than the Bose system I had in my A4, which was fine for a car system.

Just a slightly off topic tip - the diamond steering wheel button can be assigned to the engine start stop function- excellent news for me as I dislike start stops for the most part, however the coast function gets disabled when enabled, so sometimes I leave it on and the steering wheel switch is therefore ideal for me :)
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

kmacuk wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:03 pm So a bit more playing and much jumping through hoops to try to get Porsche car connect services registered - this is not to be confused with Porsche connect, which is confusing, instead this is what you get setup at hand over, giving the connect standard apps, not the Vodafone remote car connect; I finally have a form I need to printed and signed then hand to the dealer for them to activate, so that’s not happening anytime soon.
The dealer only needs the code which is generated and will be sent to you by email, when you register and assign the vehicles vin number with Porsche car connect services.
I emailed mine to the dealer and they remotely activated the services on the same day last week.
Maybe worth a shot?

The vodafone connect service(tracker) is different as the car needs to be connected to a pc. Porsche Mayfair sent someone out with a laptop last friday to activate ours as the Tracker is a requirement on our insurance.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Hedgehog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm
kmacuk wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:03 pm So a bit more playing and much jumping through hoops to try to get Porsche car connect services registered - this is not to be confused with Porsche connect, which is confusing, instead this is what you get setup at hand over, giving the connect standard apps, not the Vodafone remote car connect; I finally have a form I need to printed and signed then hand to the dealer for them to activate, so that’s not happening anytime soon.
The dealer only needs the code which is generated and will be sent to you by email, when you register and assign the vehicles vin number with Porsche car connect services.
I emailed mine to the dealer and they remotely activated the services on the same day last week.
Maybe worth a shot?

The vodafone connect service(tracker) is different as the car needs to be connected to a pc. Porsche Mayfair sent someone out with a laptop last friday to activate ours as the Tracker is a requirement on our insurance.
Thanks - I got the Porschce connet done at handover, just need to Vodafone one now, not for the tracker, but for the remote car control funcitons, which are not charged - think we got it for 1 year on our 718 and didnt use much so not a big deal if I dont get going.