Any views on covers, please?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

I use this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262446509300 ... Tags=bu=bu

It's been in the washing machine several times, especially when I used to live in Bucharest which was very dusty - even though the car spent most of its time in an underground car park.

Here's a picture:

Car Cover.JPG

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I too have the above indoor cover which is high quality, fits well and, for indoor use, is a good choice. At present myself and my Macan are both furloughed so I recently put the car on a CTEK after a good wash and dry. I then put this indoor cover on with its soft fleece lining before adding the Porsche fitted cover.
This works for me but points to note on the original Porsche cover:

Good:
Light and easy to use
Folds up to fairly small size
Looks great
Fits perfectly
Water proof
UV proof so protects paint and interior
Wing mirror pockets provide good anchor points to roll cover back to dry out and to fit in windy conditions.

Not so good:
It will scratch your paint unless you fit a lightweight liner cover over car first.
When the wind blows the cover will move about on the paint (hence above)
It can get damp under the cover promoting mould on inside of it so you need to roll it back occasionally to dry out inside and lightweight liner as suggested.
As it ages the waterproof properties degrade so damp patches will get onto car
Wash without softener to help keep it waterproof
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Are the comments about the Porsche branded indoor cover? Bit surprised to hear it can scratch the car and that it can get damp underneath. Does this happen if the car is inside a garage?
Paul

Post by Paul »

MCDK wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:25 pm Are the comments about the Porsche branded indoor cover? Bit surprised to hear it can scratch the car and that it can get damp underneath. Does this happen if the car is inside a garage?
Any cover will scratch the car if the tiniest piece of grit gets trapped between the paintwork and the cover. I always cringe a bit when, in the showroom, the covers are whisked off a new car and then just dumped on the floor....
And damp / condensation isn’t frightened by the Porsche logo😉😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Amended for clarity - Porsche outdoor cover.

B737NGWS wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 pm I too have the above indoor cover which is high quality, fits well and, for indoor use, is a good choice. At present myself and my Macan are both furloughed so I recently put the car on a CTEK after a good wash and dry. I then put this indoor cover on with its soft fleece lining before adding the Porsche fitted outdoor cover on top as our car is always parked outside.

This works for me but points to note on the original Porsche outdoor cover:

Good:
Light and easy to use
Folds up to fairly small size
Looks great
Fits perfectly
Water proof
UV proof so protects paint and interior
Wing mirror pockets provide good anchor points to roll cover back to dry out and to fit in windy conditions.

Not so good:
It will scratch your paint unless you fit a lightweight liner cover over car first.
When the wind blows the cover will move about on the paint (hence above)
It can get damp under the cover promoting mould on inside of it so you need to roll it back occasionally to dry out inside and lightweight liner as suggested.
As it ages the waterproof properties degrade so damp patches will get onto car
Wash without softener to help keep it waterproof

IMG_2312.JPG

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Thanks for clarifying. Does make more sense when it is about the outdoor cover. Could see them doing a lot of damage as they move about in the wind.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Anyone selling an indoor cover let me know please.
Deleted User 3551

Post by Deleted User 3551 »

Thanks all - very helpful.
RGS

Post by RGS »

Wish I had one, my car lives outside and yesterday on hottest day so far a passing bird scored a direct hit on my clean bonnet. By the time I noticed, it had already hardened and when I cleaned it off the acid had cut through all the paint protection down to the clear coat. Unable to polish out, tried the hairdryer trick to no avail. Looks like I've got to live with it because past experience has shown these marks are impossible to remove and car only 6 months old
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I don't doubt you, but I'm never experienced this happening so quickly.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8