Porsche Connect confusion (sorry)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
adam b

Post by adam b »

Firstly sorry in advance, I know there have been various threads on this topic but none quite answers for my situation (and god Porsche make it confusing).

So I have a 2017 turbo, bought two years old and so all the free services were used by first owner. Fortunately he paid the £800 for Connect plus (seems a cheeky price when half the features require an annual sub but that's a different topic).

To date I have declined to pay the subs and instead (from advice on here) bought a 24gb data only SIM card so I can use the wifi zone feature in the car, #8 below. Now debating whether to try out the services, maybe post lockdown

so looking at the Connect plus option in the brochure

Connect Plus module with:
1. real-time traffic information with live indication of current traffic situation by green, yellow and red colour markings
and featuring dynamic route recalculation
2. Apple® CarPlay including Siri® voice recognition software, enabling you to use the apps of your iPhone® even when
you’re on the move
3. GOOGLE® Earth and GOOGLE® Street View for visualising routes and places by means of 360° views and satellite
imagery
4. LTE telephone module with SIM card reader for simplified access to telephone functions on the move and optimised
voice quality during calls
5. Porsche Car Connect including Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (PVTS) for retrieving vehicle data via a smartphone
app and for remote control of selected vehicle functions
6. Porsche Connect app for transferring navigation destinations from your smartphone to the vehicle, for displaying
calendar events in your smartphone on PCM and for streaming music via Internet radio or music apps
7. smartphone compartment in centre console for optimised reception and battery-saving operation
8. wireless Internet access for use of WiFi-enabled client devices, e.g. tablets, laptops or smartphones inside the vehicle

what I am trying to figure out is what features I get for the £119 "Navigation and Infotainment Services" (NIS) versus the £80 (?) Vodafone Car Connect Services (VCCS)

is this correct?

1. NIS
2. Free, works without either
3. NIS
4. Free, works without either
5. VCCS plus even more to enable VTS
6. App is free but doesn't do anything without NIS
7. Free, works without either - is this only if you plug phone into UBS slot?
8. NIS
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Vodafone car connect is the ability to see the range, whether the car is locked etc from the Car Connect (not Connect) app. It's a subset of the security / tracking features that can also be provided. 5 is the only one you list above is part of Vodafone Car Connect.

Try my review here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5583
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
adam b

Post by adam b »

Thanks for the review Charles, you seem to not value the features much/at all which matches my view to an extent, did you continue to pay after the two year free period?

I don't see any value in #5 so can avoid that Vodafone cost, the rest I might try out for a year. Is my conclusion correct on the other numbers listed?
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

It's OK, but not great value. I still pay for it - traffic is good, I don't think you can use online destination lookup without it, and I also use personal POIs for speed cameras and other things. Yes, your other comments look correct. There are quite a few other minor services (e.g. weather) you don't mention. You can also get online updates to maps, albeit limited to 3 online regions per year.
adam b

Post by adam b »

thanks - yes its the nav updates and speed cameras which is the main attraction

do you know if map updates are saved permanently in PCM nav module, so stay even if subscription lapses?
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Traffic info in the nav display has been FREE in the BMW system for more than a decade!

Hello? Porsche?!? Time to wake up!!!
pmg

Post by pmg »

PSEE wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 pm Traffic info in the nav display has been FREE in the BMW system for more than a decade!

BMW only for the first three years on my last two BMW's. Porsche is free for 2years at present
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Yes, a map update is a permanent change.
Paul

Post by Paul »

PSEE wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 pm Traffic info in the nav display has been FREE in the BMW system for more than a decade!

The disadvantage with whatever the BMW offering is........? You need to buy a BMW 😉😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Little Urchin

Post by Little Urchin »

Our S, Jan 2017, has Connect Plus and we renew the "Navigation and Infotainment Services” only.

Our experience is “GOOGLE® Street View” does not now appear to work, although it was available for a period of time from new.

An element (I believe) of NIS not identified above we use a lot is “Google Search” direct on the PCM (not from the App).

We also find the Petrol Prices App very useful as we only use Shell V Power and it makes locating Shell garages and prices very easy in unfamiliar locations.