Potential New Car - Feedback please?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Paul,

I bought an SD last year and whilst this forum is a great resource with lots of friendly contributors I had to stop visiting as I ended up thoroughly depressed and convinced I’d bough the worst Macan possible! 6 months later I’m over the moon with my choice and would make the same decision again.

Here are my view on some of the points raised in this thread:

Options: This will always be an emotive subject. The car you asked for advice on is well optioned. Some folks love the pano roof others have had issues with drain pipes blocking. My car has a pano roof, I like it but it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Wheels are important and my view is that the 20” spyders are one of the better options.

DPF issues: Yes some owners have experienced DPF issues. All I can say is that (touch wood) my car has been fine as have many others. From anecdotal evidence and various posts it appears that the latest software may have resolved this issue.

Buying from an OPC: Yes you do pay more but there are significant benefits. I looked at Macans for sale at independents as well as my local OPC and felt that the additional cost was justified. The 2 year warranty is great and my car had new brakes, tyres and a replacement windscreen as the original had a small chip. It was also newly serviced and the level of preparation was superb.

Diesel V Petrol: Now this is the emotive one! Yes the GTS is a wonderful car but no way could I buy one within my budget. I don’t believe there is such a big differential between an S and an SD (I’ve only briefly driven and S so would welcome the option of someone with more experience of both models) An S in the same price range as a DS is rare and you will get a lower spec for the same price. They do drive differently - part of the decision process should be understand what you need / want. I’d come from a Hyundai Santa Fe and was looking to downsize but still wanted a Diesel SUV as I tow a caravan and I prefer an SUV to an estate as they tend to be shorter and I enjoy the driving position. If you’re coming from a Cayman / Boxster / 911 then you will probably have a different set of expectations. I’ve no idea how the SD will depreciate over the next 3 – 5 years you can plan for this with PCP. I tend to keep my cars long term so not too concerned. There is even a school of thought that says values will harden for certain second-hand Diesels such as SUVs due to reduced availability. There is still a place for diesel and it can make sense for SUVs – Last year Audi switched the SQ5 from petrol to diesel only.

The others cars that were on my short list were Alfa Stelvio and F-Pace V6 diesel. Macan was an easy choice for me.

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

bobajob wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:51 pm Paul,

I bought an SD last year and whilst this forum is a great resource with lots of friendly contributors I had to stop visiting as I ended up thoroughly depressed and convinced I’d bough the worst Macan possible! 6 months later I’m over the moon with my choice and would make the same decision again.

Here are my view on some of the points raised in this thread:

Options: This will always be an emotive subject. The car you asked for advice on is well optioned. Some folks love the pano roof others have had issues with drain pipes blocking. My car has a pano roof, I like it but it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Wheels are important and my view is that the 20” spyders are one of the better options.

DPF issues: Yes some owners have experienced DPF issues. All I can say is that (touch wood) my car has been fine as have many others. From anecdotal evidence and various posts it appears that the latest software may have resolved this issue.

Buying from an OPC: Yes you do pay more but there are significant benefits. I looked at Macans for sale at independents as well as my local OPC and felt that the additional cost was justified. The 2 year warranty is great and my car had new brakes, tyres and a replacement windscreen as the original had a small chip. It was also newly serviced and the level of preparation was superb.

Diesel V Petrol: Now this is the emotive one! Yes the GTS is a wonderful car but no way could I buy one within my budget. I don’t believe there is such a big differential between an S and an SD (I’ve only briefly driven and S so would welcome the option of someone with more experience of both models) An S in the same price range as a DS is rare and you will get a lower spec for the same price. They do drive differently - part of the decision process should be understand what you need / want. I’d come from a Hyundai Santa Fe and was looking to downsize but still wanted a Diesel SUV as I tow a caravan and I prefer an SUV to an estate as they tend to be shorter and I enjoy the driving position. If you’re coming from a Cayman / Boxster / 911 then you will probably have a different set of expectations. I’ve no idea how the SD will depreciate over the next 3 – 5 years you can plan for this with PCP. I tend to keep my cars long term so not too concerned. There is even a school of thought that says values will harden for certain second-hand Diesels such as SUVs due to reduced availability. There is still a place for diesel and it can make sense for SUVs – Last year Audi switched the SQ5 from petrol to diesel only.

The others cars that were on my short list were Alfa Stelvio and F-Pace V6 diesel. Macan was an easy choice for me.
Well said
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-S-139599
This is now the car i am looking at. £1500 deposit, 6.9% APR and £1000 dealership contribution.
Thoughts on this car? Appreciating the spec isn't everyones preference.
2015 Macan SD - Carrara White
Pan Roof, PDLS, Sport Design Kit with rear mid section painted, 20inch RS Spyders, PCM/Nav, ACC, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, Black Sports Tailpipes etc
pmg

Post by pmg »

PaulB wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 am https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-S-139599
This is now the car i am looking at. £1500 deposit, 6.9% APR and £1000 dealership contribution.
That is a spec I could personally go for. When I look at the 9 Petrol S's in UK OPC's in that Price range the only other I would consider is the Cardiff vehicle.
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/sea ... ax%3A40000

I prefer the rare bronze colour to white and it has air sus, adaptive cruise, heated seats and lane change assist but I do like the 20 wheels and surround view spec of the Sheffield car. The fact that neither have pan roofs is a plus for me
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Guy

Post by Guy »

PaulB wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 am https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-S-139599
I like that spec - seems to have all the key options required of that iteration of Macan (eg 3-zone heating, which was an option then).

One thing that I noticed: It doesn't specifically say 'Navigation' is fitted. PCM 'with Navigation' was a £2007 option at that time!! Other Macan listings do seem to include PCM with Navigation as a separate item under Audio/Comms. Mind you, even if it has it it'll be hopelessly out of date ...
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Further to the above (and having checked my 2015 hardback OPC Macan brochure). I am pretty sure that car just has the 'CDR Plus' audio system rather than PCM. I think that the Navigation module is the main loss, but others may know more.

(EDIT: PCM also gives you a 40GB hard drive for your music - I find this quite useful. Of course, even without PCM you can still connect various music sources to the USB socket - eg phone or memory stick)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The Belfast car looks much better value as it’s lower miles and newer. Also has the upgraded PCM that came in early 2016

But then at £40k you must be getting close to GTS territory which is the real sweet spot of the range.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ 34 pre-owned GTSs on the Porsche site from £42k...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

MCDK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:40 pm The Belfast car looks much better value as it’s lower miles and newer. Also has the upgraded PCM that came in early 2016

But then at £40k you must be getting close to GTS territory which is the real sweet spot of the range.
Sorry, do you mean the white car from Sheffield? The one from Belfast is the silver one at £31k but a diesel.
2015 Macan SD - Carrara White
Pan Roof, PDLS, Sport Design Kit with rear mid section painted, 20inch RS Spyders, PCM/Nav, ACC, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, Black Sports Tailpipes etc
pmg

Post by pmg »

PaulB wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm
MCDK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:40 pm The Belfast car looks much better value as it’s lower miles and newer. Also has the upgraded PCM that came in early 2016

Sorry, do you mean the white car from Sheffield? The one from Belfast is the silver one at £31k but a diesel.
He could be referring to the Belfast white White S petrol 2017 listed at £40K
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8