New GTS at dealer next week

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
smithy65

Post by smithy65 »

Dealer called me today to say they were expecting my GTS next week. build code PL5FUV49
Have mixed feelings about going ahead with all whats going on at the moment.
Anybody else in a similar position ? Part of me thinks you only live once and crack on while you can but it feels a bit wrong and i do think there will be deals to be had in a few months so cutting my losses and hanging on 6 months might be the better bet.

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

My car's also expected imminently, and I've been having exact same thoughts.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

If you don't go ahead will you lose your deposit or hope they can find a buyer on your behalf?

I have my own decision to make whether to go ahead with my pending build slot.
Due to COVID-19 the business I work for is in poor shape and I have to face the reality of redundancy if things do not improve.

I can obtain a refund of my deposit by the end of this month, although I assume I could reject the slot and choose a later one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Normally I'd be congratulating you on the new car but understand your trepidation. I have my name down for a Boxster GTS which was due late this year/early next year but having second thoughts as well since I'm not sure laying out another £30-40K on another car is sensible at the moment. Combined with the expectation that any px offers will likely be substantially lower now as well I'm thinking I'll stick with what we've got.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
smithy65

Post by smithy65 »

I think i would definately lose my 3k deposit. Ive noticed 5 or 6 new Gts on Autotrader from OPC. Not discounted though.
My business has been affected like most peoples so finding it hard to justify even though i could probably just about do it. Ive asked the dealer for help on price or finance rate and will see what they come back with and decide then.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

It depends on your personal financial situation. Bear in mind that there will be a longer lead time for a fresh new factory order. Will there be a price increase between now and then? Builds numbers will be affected (lower) with the new factory H&S labour impact and component shortages may be an issue with the globally sourced OE parts. So will demand exceed supply in the UK and worldwide?

I bought and paid for mine on 19 March. It's still locked in the OPC's showroom, but I'm in no hurry. I've still got my SD and that p/ex is locked into the deal. So I'm committed, but relaxed about it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Am89

Post by Am89 »

If it’s something you will buy sooner or later then go ahead with the deal. If not I’d cancel and lose the 3k deposit. 3k is a lot less than u will lose, if u try to sell or px in the future.

My turbo is currently for sale, one of the best priced / spec’d examples available and I’ve had a less interest than I thought. Tough times
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

smithy65 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm I think i would definately lose my 3k deposit. Ive noticed 5 or 6 new Gts on Autotrader from OPC. Not discounted though.
I think Porsche and any OPC will be on a huge damage limitation exercise in the current climate doing whatever they can to avoid discounts & protect used prices. I very much doubt if dealers will be discounting new cars on their website for some time yet - that is probably a last resort. However going into a cash strapped business ready to do a deal face to face is likely to be a different story. I’m sure there are good or very good deals to be had.
But that does not help your predicament, my only suggestion would be to speak to the OPC, if you have a sensible spec on the car, they may well have another customer that could be interested in avoiding the wait. If you don’t ask......
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
pmg

Post by pmg »

There is presently a fair chance that in In 6 months time that Boris and his pals may have taken the UK out of the single market without a no tariff-free trade deal and with a major hit to the value of the pound. UK economy meaning UK living standards fall further. An additional risk to UK imported car prices is pressure on Government after the lockdown fondness for cleaner air for a further hike in taxes on large engined ICE cars and concessions for EV

China is coming out of its lockdown quite well and rather than sell cars into the UK at reduced profits, Porsche would divert sale allocation elsewhere rather than take a reduced margin on UK sales.

Asking prices in Autotrader are not done deals.

If you ordered the GTS because it is a car you wanted or needed for your lifestyle and have financial reserves to maintain lifestyle if personal harder times hit, I would go ahead and take delivery. If your decision to change vehicle was driven by an expectation of low future depreciation and the expectation of ultimately the annual cost of the new vehicle being little different to your current then cancel and the current hit of deposit loss.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

smithy65 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm I think i would definately lose my 3k deposit. Ive noticed 5 or 6 new Gts on Autotrader from OPC. Not discounted though.
My business has been affected like most peoples so finding it hard to justify even though i could probably just about do it. Ive asked the dealer for help on price or finance rate and will see what they come back with and decide then.
The first sentence of SAC1's post is the key thing here. A few months ago you paid out £3k confident that you could fund the remaining £64k when your car arrived. COVID-19 has appeared out of nowhere and now you're into "I could probably just about do it" territory. If the economy's bounce back takes longer, will you be "in the sh*t" and struggling to sell your GTS to raise funds? Only you know the answer to that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel