Massive fuel leak

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Driving out from Edinburgh yesterday in my SD heading for the Queensferry Crossing. Quick look at fuel, 600 miles available. Drove through a large flood puddle on the main road but driving not at a silly speed then back up to normal speed. Argh, a bong from the dashboard, fuel remaining 68 miles, decreasing rapidly. Stopped on hard shoulder and saw diesel pouring out of the back of the car beneath the fuel filler area. Car uplifted by AA and now at Porsche, Edinburgh. I can only assume it was something to do with driving through that large flood. Not too happy with that as my speed through the puddle was not excessive. Could be a dislodged fuel pipe I suppose.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Sounds like you may have caught something in the water 🐊 how deep?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Not sure how deep but not excessive. I wonder if it was maybe deeper than I thought. Yes there could have been something in the water that snagged a fuel line but there was no noise of anything happening. AA came quickly by the way. About half an hour.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Chilgrove wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 am Not sure how deep but not excessive. I wonder if it was maybe deeper than I thought. Yes there could have been something in the water that snagged a fuel line but there was no noise of anything happening. AA came quickly by the way. About half an hour.
Hope it’s a quick fix, look on the bright side, diesel fuel is very cheap at the moment 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
GWL

Post by GWL »

Just before the lockdown, my car (2015 Turbo) was subject to a safety recall related to possible failure of fuel system parts located under the back seat (the recall advised not putting anything heavy on the back seat until the remedial work was done).

I can't find the full details at the moment - and it may not relate to your issue (yours is diesel for a start) but thought I'd mention it.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

GWL wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:49 am Just before the lockdown, my car (2015 Turbo) was subject to a safety recall related to possible failure of fuel system parts located under the back seat (the recall advised not putting anything heavy on the back seat until the remedial work was done).

I can't find the full details at the moment - and it may not relate to your issue (yours is diesel for a start) but thought I'd mention it.
The recall you are talking about was ALA2, this was a modification to the fuel pump service cover in the same area as the fuel filler. The fix was for the dealership to either modify the existing part or fit replacement parts from Porsche. My car was effected and done by Leeds OPC who said they were only fitting new parts as some dealerships had encountered big issues modifying them, resulting in massive fuel leak!!!

As I remember It, this effected both petrol & Diesel cars, but I may be incorrect.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

And I assume they then had to close the road too?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks for your replies. I will see what they say on Monday, assuming they are able to look at it as quickly as that. I think what really surprised me was that looking under the car I expected to see fuel coming out from where I thought the base of the tank is but no, it was coming out in a torrent from much higher up, closer to where I imagine the fuel filler pipe would run.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Well I got the Porsche result yesterday about what had caused the massive fuel leak. I should at this stage confirm that only official Porsche garages have ever touched my Macan. The service manager phoned me to ask if the recovery service (not Porsche recovery) had done anything at all to the car at the uplift and I was able to say no, he simply did recovery, no attempt at any repair.

The service manager seemed quite shocked at what they had found. My last service was done at another Porsche garage and they had changed the fuel filter. There is a metal clip to hold on a "rubber" hose but instead of refitting this they had used a cable tie. Unbelievable. Presumably when I drove through the water the hose had been yanked off by the water force. Cable ties are great but not for this type of application. So there was no fault with the car but there was a fault with the service I have received. This will be going further.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Wow!!

Compo
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S