Bolt(s) from the blue

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Just been sent this by a mate of mine who is a bit of a know all and he doesn't like German cars.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

DougL

Post by DougL »

I watched that clip the other night. Strikes me as nonsense. None of us has reported any of the issues that guy is talking about.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It's easy to react against someone criticising our beloved Macans so I'll restrict my comments to where I think he's just wrong.

The use of aluminium bolts with an aluminium engine avoids having to deal with the problem of bimetallic corrosion. Just fitting iron (as he called them, though they will almost certainly be steel) replacements is building up problems down the line which are harder to fix than replacing bolts.

He referred to the engine as a Porsche engine when it's actually of Audi origin. That explains why it has the same fuel pump design as other Audi engines. I don't recall any cases on this forum of fuel pump problems. In any event, there is always a possibility that American fuel has differences to European fuel. He said he quite likes Cayennes yet the 3L petrol engine in the Cayenne is the same type as in the Macan.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
davewf

Post by davewf »

Perhaps if they didnt tighten the aluminium bolts up too tight they wouldn't snap off :-)
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Mk 1 Macan has a Porsche engine. Mk two is an Audi/VW lump
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bennachie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:32 pm Mk 1 Macan has a Porsche engine. Mk two is an Audi/VW lump
Unless it’s diesel.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:29 am
bennachie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:32 pm Mk 1 Macan has a Porsche engine. Mk two is an Audi/VW lump
Unless it’s diesel.
🤓 or the 2.0 😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I'm voting with davewf, anyone that has anything to do with a performance machines will know that there are advantages to Aluminium (which is a metal! :lol: ) but the design needs to be precise made and perfectly assembled in clean conditions. If you are a tractor engineer out west then steel heads, bolts, covers offer fantastic serviceability while repairing it in the field (literally). Fair enough there could well be some issue at 100kml+ that you could say are poor practice for that lifeing but since there is no franchise service lock-in the States who knows what the history is for some of these cars. :?
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My son has an Audi A2 which has 136k miles over 17 years. The A2 is mostly made of aluminium and it is a pleasure to work on. It’s just great not having rusty bolts and ceased nuts to deal with.
I call my Macan the large Audi A2
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

For anyone interested, the link below tells you a little bit about bimetallic corrosion.

https://www.galvanizing.org.uk/galvanic ... rrosion%20(also%20commonly%20termed,or%20cathodic%20metal%20being%20unaffected.

Where steel and aluminium are used together, there needs to be an insulating material between them to prevent the aluminium from being affected.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel