AC sanitisation

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Salty

Post by Salty »

The Macan has just been into the local OPC for its intermediate service. They always do a complimentary wheel alignment check and the wheels are always out of specification and need to be realigned at a cost of £150.
This time however they also asked if I wanted the AC sanitised due to the current situation presumably. Cost was in the region of £45 inc VAT. I declined as I am not convinced that it is necessary and Halfords can do it for £20. There’s probably DIY kits on the market I expect.
The service cost £724.99.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Either you do some battering of kerbs or they didnt do the alinement very well last time. That kind of thing at every service would have me smelling a rat. The AC sanitising is an easy one sold at the moment. Usually a smoke type canister set of in the cabin with the system running in recirculation mode. I would have my doubts about how effective it is but I have had a couple of older cars in the past where the aircon developed quite a pong. The type of thing never improved it and the garage involved eventually confessed that the only proper cure was to remove the aircon chill exchanger and wash it out on the bench, a job that involved removing most of the dash and a four figure bill.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Usually the fix for smelly ventilation systems is to run it at full heat for 20 mins or so, on recirc first then fresh air.

The smells come from the ducting carrying air into the cabin due to algae growing in damp spots.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Salty

Post by Salty »

Rab J wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am Either you do some battering of kerbs or they didnt do the alinement very well last time. That kind of thing at every service would have me smelling a rat. The AC sanitising is an easy one sold at the moment. Usually a smoke type canister set of in the cabin with the system running in recirculation mode. I would have my doubts about how effective it is but I have had a couple of older cars in the past where the aircon developed quite a pong. The type of thing never improved it and the garage involved eventually confessed that the only proper cure was to remove the aircon chill exchanger and wash it out on the bench, a job that involved removing most of the dash and a four figure bill.
Me and my wife are very careful not to bash any curbs at all in either car so I doubt that was the problem.
It was the cars first service since we bought it so the wheels should have been in alignment then anyway. It’s only done just over 15’000 careful miles.
Thanks for the views on the AC. I didn’t really think it was necessary. I’ve had a good few cars now and have never had the AC sanitised or cleaned in anyway on any of them.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Salty wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm
Rab J wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am Either you do some battering of kerbs or they didnt do the alinement very well last time. That kind of thing at every service would have me smelling a rat. The AC sanitising is an easy one sold at the moment. Usually a smoke type canister set of in the cabin with the system running in recirculation mode. I would have my doubts about how effective it is but I have had a couple of older cars in the past where the aircon developed quite a pong. The type of thing never improved it and the garage involved eventually confessed that the only proper cure was to remove the aircon chill exchanger and wash it out on the bench, a job that involved removing most of the dash and a four figure bill.
Me and my wife are very careful not to bash any curbs at all in either car so I doubt that was the problem.
It was the cars first service since we bought it so the wheels should have been in alignment then anyway. It’s only done just over 15’000 careful miles.
Thanks for the views on the AC. I didn’t really think it was necessary. I’ve had a good few cars now and have never had the AC sanitised or cleaned in anyway on any of them.
Sorry for the confusion Salty, I wasn't calling your curb bashing into question. I was in fact assuming you drove in the careful fashion you have said, yet the dealer has found a nice little earner checking alignment in every service whither you need it or not.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Salty

Post by Salty »

Rab J wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:58 pm
Salty wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm
Sorry for the confusion Salty, I wasn't calling your curb bashing into question. I was in fact assuming you drove in the careful fashion you have said, yet the dealer has found a nice little earner checking alignment in every service whither you need it or not.
No worries, I think as you say the OPC have a nice little earner there. The check is foc but the wheels are usually reported to be out of spec.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Salty wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm Thanks for the views on the AC. I didn’t really think it was necessary. I’ve had a good few cars now and have never had the AC sanitised or cleaned in anyway on any of them.
Fully agree re AC, if it’s functioning don’t mess with it but use it regularly in both warm and cold settings. Often it’s lack of use that’s a problem, as stated re contamination and the seals can dry out as the gas also serves as a lubricant. Have one car with AC that’s now 27 years old, used it today although it is somewhat old tech it still works as it was intended.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6