Macan transfer box

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Has anyone heard of issues with Macan transfer box where it allows water ingress then juddering happens, especially at very slow speeds on full lock? My SD is currently at an OPC (massive diesel fuel leak) and they reckon the transfer box is on the way out. 37000 miles only. Expensive job although they are going to see if Porsche will assist with costs because although not officially acknowlwdged, this appears to be well know by all the OPCs.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Much on the web about this. Search on Macan transfer box. Possibly the Achilles heal of the Macan

This from Niche Technologies

The dreaded transfer cases.

Porsche have had problems with this since the Cayenne and they decided to not rectify the issue before putting in the Macan. Thanks Porsche. They have been known to go wrong from very low mileage on new Macans (up to 2017s), to be replaced more than once on the same car and to generally be one of the two big expensive faults with this car. Completely unacceptable to not be a recall in my opinion but here we are.

So, what causes it and what are the symptoms? I have read the symptoms are vibration when pulling away, feeling like its driving over small speed bumps in the road, juddering, that kind of thing. It is very noticeably not right. Do not confuse this with the strange sliding feeling that AWD vehicles do sometimes when slow manoeuvring on slippery surfaces. The cause of this transfer case issue is moisture entering the case and diluting the effectiveness of the fluid inside. There was a “fix” issued by Porsche (eventually) which redesigned the case to vent differently, it wasn’t a recall though, the case had to go wrong for them to change it and then if you were out of warranty it’s your pocket paying for it and I’m told it’s about $3500. In fairness I have heard dealerships contributing towards the cost but that’s not the point, it should have been a recall, it’s a known design fault. Anyway, the problem lies not only in this ventilation moisture issue, the other problem Is that the transfer cases came with fluid that doesn’t contain enough limited slip differential additive, which combined with the lowering of its ability to do its job by allowing moisture into it, causes them to break/wear out.

There is apparently a possible solution if your transfer case is showing very mild signs of the issue or you just want to do preventative maintenance and that is to swap out the fluid with something better. A friend of Niche Technology is a Porsche technician and they recommend Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Lube (75w-90), luckily the transfer case holds less than a litre of fluid, so it’s not expensive. (Disclaimer: We are not claiming this will fix your problem, nor stop the fault from happening, we are only passing on what we have been told, do this at your own risk) Drain the original fluid out, then suck out the rest from the upper plug, then refill it from the vent hole with the new fluid. I have not seen the fix that Porsche have done with the vent issue but when I change the fluid in our Macan, ill have a look and see if I can suggest a DIY fix to help it. Unfortunately, the vent will be at the top, so will probably require the case to be removed to add any vent extension/relocation. From what I have read the Porsche “fix” for the replacement part number is to add some plumbing to the vent and basically move the intake of it somewhere less likely to hoover up water. Ours hasn’t shown any sign of trouble yet (as of writing this!) so I’m going to swap the fluid and hope for the best. If the case stays happy, I will add it to the 20k Mile service requirements.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Wow, that is the first I have heard of this. Not good Porsche.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Mine has just developed a shudder when slowly reversing with almost full steering lock. Have booked it into OPC end of next month for an investigation. Still within warranty until next March thankfully. Only 10,000 miles but had to traverse a flash flooded A-road in Cornwall last winter as there was no way around. Suspect water may have got into transfer box through vent.
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

When looking for my pre owned Macan I spoke to more than one opc and it soon became clear that the Dealer sales network is very aware of the transfer box issue, together with its v random nature. A Porsche warranty is useful protection on the issue, or perhaps essential...
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

These clutch based transfer boxes are the Achilles heal of many of modern SUVs not just Porsche. All the VW group SUVs certainly have issues, my Touareg of ten years ago needed a transfer box at eighteen months old. Clutch based transfer boxes are only as good as their oil and once contaminated with moisture the plates quickly grind themselves to death. Driving conditions, journey length and even whither you park inside or out can have an influence on the condition of the oil so thats why some have no issues and others go through a gearbox per year.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Madelvic wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:10 pm Much on the web about this. Search on Macan transfer box. Possibly the Achilles heal of the Macan

This from Niche Technologies

The dreaded transfer cases.

Porsche have had problems with this since the Cayenne and they decided to not rectify the issue before putting in the Macan. Thanks Porsche. They have been known to go wrong from very low mileage on new Macans (up to 2017s), to be replaced more than once on the same car and to generally be one of the two big expensive faults with this car. Completely unacceptable to not be a recall in my opinion but here we are.

So, what causes it and what are the symptoms? I have read the symptoms are vibration when pulling away, feeling like its driving over small speed bumps in the road, juddering, that kind of thing. It is very noticeably not right. Do not confuse this with the strange sliding feeling that AWD vehicles do sometimes when slow manoeuvring on slippery surfaces. The cause of this transfer case issue is moisture entering the case and diluting the effectiveness of the fluid inside. There was a “fix” issued by Porsche (eventually) which redesigned the case to vent differently, it wasn’t a recall though, the case had to go wrong for them to change it and then if you were out of warranty it’s your pocket paying for it and I’m told it’s about $3500. In fairness I have heard dealerships contributing towards the cost but that’s not the point, it should have been a recall, it’s a known design fault. Anyway, the problem lies not only in this ventilation moisture issue, the other problem Is that the transfer cases came with fluid that doesn’t contain enough limited slip differential additive, which combined with the lowering of its ability to do its job by allowing moisture into it, causes them to break/wear out.

There is apparently a possible solution if your transfer case is showing very mild signs of the issue or you just want to do preventative maintenance and that is to swap out the fluid with something better. A friend of Niche Technology is a Porsche technician and they recommend Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Lube (75w-90), luckily the transfer case holds less than a litre of fluid, so it’s not expensive. (Disclaimer: We are not claiming this will fix your problem, nor stop the fault from happening, we are only passing on what we have been told, do this at your own risk) Drain the original fluid out, then suck out the rest from the upper plug, then refill it from the vent hole with the new fluid. I have not seen the fix that Porsche have done with the vent issue but when I change the fluid in our Macan, ill have a look and see if I can suggest a DIY fix to help it. Unfortunately, the vent will be at the top, so will probably require the case to be removed to add any vent extension/relocation. From what I have read the Porsche “fix” for the replacement part number is to add some plumbing to the vent and basically move the intake of it somewhere less likely to hoover up water. Ours hasn’t shown any sign of trouble yet (as of writing this!) so I’m going to swap the fluid and hope for the best. If the case stays happy, I will add it to the 20k Mile service requirements.
Can I assume then that Porsche installed the modified case 2018 onwards?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Chilgrove wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 pm Has anyone heard of issues with Macan transfer box where it allows water ingress then juddering happens, especially at very slow speeds on full lock? My SD is currently at an OPC (massive diesel fuel leak) and they reckon the transfer box is on the way out. 37000 miles only. Expensive job although they are going to see if Porsche will assist with costs because although not officially acknowlwdged, this appears to be well know by all the OPCs.
Do a search on transfer boxes on this forum and you will come up with plenty of instances. Your car has done well to get to 37000 miles on the original case. My experience was similar to yours in that the problem started shortly after driving through floods (by shortly I mean within a few miles). I was lucky, the car was in the last six months of its original warranty.

You'll also find if you search that not all cases involve very slow speeds and full lock. Mine was anywhere in first or second gear and a light throttle.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks for all replies.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Well I must admit to being impressed with the feedback from Porsche UK and also one of the two OPCs that I have been involved with. Two main issues: Transfer box needing replaced and a massive fuel leak (caused by one of the OPCs using non standard/recommended fuel pipe clip). I prefer not to name the OPCs or to say anthing about the finances but I can say a big thank you to Porsche for the way they have handled this matter.