Have taken delivery of my 2nd GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tailpipe

Post by Tailpipe »

I ordered the original Macan GTS as soon as it was announced and took delivery in 2016. It was a superb car in every respect. In fact, without doubt, it has been the best car I have ever owned. Supremely comfortable. A joy to drive. Immensely practical. And, surprisingly inexpensive to insure and run. If I had one criticism it was fuel economy, but then it is a Porsche and if you want to push-on (where road regulations allow ;-) you shouldn't expect overall consumption to fall below 24 mpg.

Some 43,000 miles later, my volcano grey GTS has been replaced by an identically specced model. I didn't expect the new car to be much different from the old one. How do you improve on something that is already damn near perfect? But, somehow, Porsche has managed to make the Macan GTS even better. Key points are:
  • Same 2.9-litre engine as the Turbo, slightly lesser state of tune, but still banstormingly quick, but engine is less stressed - should be good for longevity.
    The standard Drive mode is a little less aggressive than before, so under normal driving conditions, you get better full consumption figures (28 versus 24 mpg. is a worthwhile improvement in my book)
    The Sport and Sport Plus modes are excellent - the power delivery seems effortless. Do check your speed, because very often you'll find yourself going much faster than you thought.
    Air suspension set-up seems better, even though the old car already rode very well.
    New larger MMS screen and satnav system is a significant improvement on the old
    Aircon seems to work better
    They've improved sensitivity of the parking sensors, so they don't beep unnecessarily.
Overall, this car is perfect for city driving as well as for longer drives. It's a pussy cat until you select Sport mode and press hard on the accelerator, whereupon it becomes a snarling tiger. The raised SUV driving position gives you a good view of the road. The cabin is an environment where you won't mind spending many hours. The more you push the car, the larger the smile it brings to your face. I absolutely love it. So does my better half. Anyone wondering whether to buy one of these, just do it. You won't regret it.

cc3

Post by cc3 »

Nice to hear. Mine enters build next week with completion date 11/7 so should arrive end of month.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

A good review, clearly your happy with the changes over previous model. Good to hear👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

That's great feedback, sounds a fantastic car.

Ordinarily, I would have had mine by now, but the lockdown and unknown job security has meant I had to postpone. The dealer called me yesterday and said they have a September slot for Oct/Nov delivery.

My heart said yes, but my head said no, just wait and see what happens.

What does the new GTS sound like in comparison to the original? I'd like to know if that element has changed for the worse in light of WLTP regulations.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Tailpipe

Post by Tailpipe »

The exhaust sound is more muted than before, but it is still a good noise, especially when accelerating hard. There is also a very satisfying burble and crackle on the overrun.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Tailpipe wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm The exhaust sound is more muted than before, but it is still a good noise, especially when accelerating hard. There is also a very satisfying burble and crackle on the overrun.
Pleased to hear it's not been ruined.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Hi Tailpipe,
Pretty much the same story as mine.
We replaced our 2016 VG GTS with the new one in March in a very similar spec to the first and agree with all Your comments. We never specced air on either car though and would add (imho of course) that the standard suspension is also great on the gts.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Congrats, Tailpipe!

Here’s to the next 4 years being even better than the last 4!

Also good to hear (pardon the pun) that the sound of the car is still enjoyable & fruity! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018