Twist or stick with 2016 GTS and new model release date?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Deciding whether to keep my late 2016 GTS or swap it out for a new one. Investigating the sums at the moment and jumping into a new may not be as bad an option as you can would think.

A new GTS is likely to be Jan 2021 so I wondered what is the latest best guess on release of a new Macan? Think I last read 2022 but early or late in the year? And guess a GTS could be another year after that.

My current car is immaculate and as good as the day it came out of the showroom and just under 10000 miles so keeping it isn’t a hardship either but just wonder how strong the demand is say I kept it another 2 or 3 years and by then it’s 6 or 7 years old.

pmg

Post by pmg »

I saw this early this week

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/co ... 21421.html

So the factory is ready, VW and Audi have shown details of their concepts cars that are understood to be on the same new platform for Electric Vehicles. I suspect the launch of electric Macan could be nearer than you think.

If the new model impacts the value of 2016 GTS it will impact the value of a 2021 Gen 2 GTS more. At 10,000 miles I would say you have just about run the car in!!

There has been a fair bit of discussion of the pro's and cons of Gen2 GTS's against Gen1 which should help you decide whether any gains less losses are worth the cost.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
DougL

Post by DougL »

Stick
DougL

Post by DougL »

I'm buying now. I however will not buy a 1st gen electric Macan. I'll wait till the refresh. If you feel the same, buy a GTS now and then a second gen electric. BMWs I3 was fab, but not until about 3 years into production....
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

I agree with the majority and stick, wait until the electric version has proved itself.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

With just 10k miles in 4 years sticking is the financially sensible answer, however 🤔 nothing is financially sensible when buying a Porsche 🙄 I agree with OP’s views in not rushing into any first release electric and I don’t think we’ll see a GTS version until at least 2023. Just sold my 2016 Turbo (36k miles) and ordered a GTS as I was opting to replace with exact same spec I didn’t feel the new Turbo was an improvement, the GTS gave the ability for some spec variation. Frustrating when getting a new car and then feeling you should have stuck with the previous one. If you are happy going to 7 years it will still be under 20k miles and you will have buyers queuing whether you sell it now or then. On the other hand if you have the cash and like a new car “just because you do” go for it 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Twist - you will have a big bill for the 4 year service on your current GTS. Extended warranty needed? Plus a set of tyres in the next 2 years? More importantly your p/ex value will be strong at this stage. It will take a proportionately bigger hit if you keep it another 12/ 24 months with the new model Macan launch. :!:

So get your Gen 2 GTS order in now. You can always cancel / sell it pre- Jan 2021 if you change your mind. :idea:

If in any doubt, go and get a test drive of the new model. ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I am kinda going with Steve’s view to be honest and the lure of a new one is strong. I finance on pcp so either need to finance the balloon or jump in again and the financial decisions around that aren’t as obvious as you might expect as the monthly on a new car will be lower. Ultimately in 2 or 3 years I might be better off keeping this car but there are bills to pay as mentioned above and question demand being as strong for a 6 or 7 year old car but with mega low mileage and immaculate condition it should attract plenty of interest as it’s nearly a brand new car for used money.

Did ask my dealer for a test drive but no demo GTS or Turbo. Can come and see a GTS if they get one of the sold ones back for any reason but that’s about it. I’m in Northern Ireland and only one dealer here sadly.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

TWIST.

Forget the financials and all the sensible stuff, there's nothing better than speccing up a new car, going to the dealer and waiting for that new beast to be delivered :D

If money isn't an issue, go for it!!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Stick
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S