Cost of Owning a Macan SD for 5 years

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

Hmm. Bought mine from new in July 2015; sounds like a fairly demoralising project ;-)
Still, can't be any worse than getting back into the commute, so I'll work it out. Currently on 117k and the brake warning lights have just come on again for the second time, if memory serves the first was at/before the 60k service.
Worst mpg over a french holiday (pulled a caravan to the spanish border and back) was 30.1mpg over 3.5k, best was (and still can be when I'm feeling saintly) 47mpg over a tank, although premium fuel makes at least 4mpg difference.
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Interesting. Have you ever had any dpf issues? I also only used premium BP diesel in my SD for 3 years and never had any regens etc. Only did 18k miles though :roll:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

OK - so, DPF; Never had an issue with the exhaust system, but then I do about 23 -25k a year, with every type of driving condition in most journeys - i.e. standing traffic, motorway & A roads in most journeys. The regen cycle in mine is quite obvious; the tick over raises from 600rpm to about 800rpm and if you get out during one of these cycles, there is a fairly distinct smell of, well, hot rubber! I can't say if using premium fuel results in fewer regen cycles, but I'll look out for that. I do use the auto start-stop when in queueing traffic and motorways, but dis-engage it at roundabouts - it's just far too slow off the mark then. I don't always use the same type of fuel, but if I have the option I'll go for Tesco’s finest (sorry, I have sinned), although, as I said above, there is a distinct difference to the consumption and oomph when using a premium brand (although, I'm fairly sure the Launch doesn't differ), and the car seems to know when premium has been refuelled, as the range almost immediately jumps up from around 540mi to about 590mi (approx figures as the range depends on the consumption) and once in a blue moon i get over 700mi to a tank. For me, the 13-16% extra in fuel cost isn't reflected in performance and so isn't a priority for me.

Costs; all receipts, including insurance, tax, fuel, tyres, servicing is £0.55/mile to date, £0.31 of which is depreciation, most of which is due to the configurator and a 9 month wait. Most things with a 9-month build duration will cost you dearly though...

Hope that helps!
M
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

emptygroves, just shows the power of a good diesel car, thanks for sharing.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

emptygroves wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 am OK - so, DPF; Never had an issue with the exhaust system, but then I do about 23 -25k a year, with every type of driving condition in most journeys - i.e. standing traffic, motorway & A roads in most journeys. The regen cycle in mine is quite obvious; the tick over raises from 600rpm to about 800rpm and if you get out during one of these cycles, there is a fairly distinct smell of, well, hot rubber! I can't say if using premium fuel results in fewer regen cycles, but I'll look out for that. I do use the auto start-stop when in queueing traffic and motorways, but dis-engage it at roundabouts - it's just far too slow off the mark then. I don't always use the same type of fuel, but if I have the option I'll go for Tesco’s finest (sorry, I have sinned), although, as I said above, there is a distinct difference to the consumption and oomph when using a premium brand (although, I'm fairly sure the Launch doesn't differ), and the car seems to know when premium has been refuelled, as the range almost immediately jumps up from around 540mi to about 590mi (approx figures as the range depends on the consumption) and once in a blue moon i get over 700mi to a tank. For me, the 13-16% extra in fuel cost isn't reflected in performance and so isn't a priority for me.

Costs; all receipts, including insurance, tax, fuel, tyres, servicing is £0.55/mile to date, £0.31 of which is depreciation, most of which is due to the configurator and a 9 month wait. Most things with a 9-month build duration will cost you dearly though...

Hope that helps!
M
Tesco's finest is allegedly Esso which doesn't contain Ethanol.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

Interesting post. Thank you. I am currently investigating options and I haven't yet dismissed the SD though I quite fancy any of the other 'flavour' engines from the S and up.

What surprised me was replacing the rear springs. Do they typically need replacing?

<
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

LesThAn< wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm What surprised me was replacing the rear springs. Do they typically need replacing?

<
Only if they break :lol: :lol:

I think I'm the only one on the forum to have experienced this with a Macan.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

I'd say. That must have been some pothole! :shock:
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Not heard of any, other than “On track’s“ but clearly not on that day 🙄. Though I did break a spring once in the wife’s Golf GTI, that cost £150 for the pair. Porsche pricing can be brutal 😖
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

LesThAn< wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 pm I'd say. That must have been some pothole! :shock:
Funnily enough, no. I was reversing up the drive at less than 5mph.

Relooking at the video taken by the OPC there were signs of corrosion at the break point so I'm assuming it must have been partially fractured for some time.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel