Tesla Test Drive

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

Probably the Health and Safety Police made them leave it as battery fires in cars are still a relatively new concept and therefore unknown to the emergency services. Just to be sure, no doubt.
Macan S D
718 S

Paul

Post by Paul »

Clarkson......letting a good story get in the way of the facts??? Surely not?😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I would miss the engine noise with an EV. That electric low drone is so boring on a journey. Just about OK for a small city car doing short trips, but not a saloon /SUV.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm I would miss the engine noise with an EV. That electric low drone is so boring on a journey. Just about OK for a small city car doing short trips, but not a saloon /SUV.
No idea what electric cars you've driven, but Teslas are about as quiet and serene as you can get for long distance cruising or sitting in traffic. You can't even hear the electric motor unless accelerating hard and even then it's pretty subtle. Again it's one of the reasons I chose a Tesla SUV - because it's so quiet and relaxing to drive. I certainly won't miss diesel engine noise for sure!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tesla S and it was so boring to drive....the novelty of a quietish car, albeit with noticeable tyre noise, is just alien! Absolutely nothing wrong with a 6 or 8-cylinder diesel's engine noise. They sound purposeful and give aurial reassurance to the speed. Just did not like having to watch that huge iPad in the Tesla S.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm I would miss the engine noise with an EV. That electric low drone is so boring on a journey. Just about OK for a small city car doing short trips, but not a saloon /SUV.
No idea what electric cars you've driven, but Teslas are about as quiet and serene as you can get for long distance cruising or sitting in traffic. You can't even hear the electric motor unless accelerating hard and even then it's pretty subtle. Again it's one of the reasons I chose a Tesla SUV - because it's so quiet and relaxing to drive. I certainly won't miss diesel engine noise for sure!
I assume you are referring to the noise from your diesel Qashqai as the 6 cylinder Macan SD is like a sewing machine?
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I'm not sure what "we" expect an electric car to sound like - possibly silent - but I found the Tesla to sound quite "normal".

I suppose most engines (with the exception of some noisy Porsche / Audi etc. engines) nowadays are built to be quiet. As you drive along at 70 mph there is very little engine noise. Most of the noise comes from air / tyre noise and radio / heaters etc. which the Tesla still has.
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm Tesla S and it was so boring to drive....the novelty of a quietish car, albeit with noticeable tyre noise, is just alien! Absolutely nothing wrong with a 6 or 8-cylinder diesel's engine noise. They sound purposeful and give aurial reassurance to the speed. Just did not like having to watch that huge iPad in the Tesla S.
No sorry, it's just a monotonous drone on the motorway that you try to drown out as best you can with the sound system. Even my 911 used to annoy me on long trips. Only time I would ever miss engine noise is on a track or blasting along my favourite driving roads.
Deleted User 1874

ScotMac wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm I'm not sure what "we" expect an electric car to sound like - possibly silent - but I found the Tesla to sound quite "normal".

I suppose most engines (with the exception of some noisy Porsche / Audi etc. engines) nowadays are built to be quiet. As you drive along at 70 mph there is very little engine noise. Most of the noise comes from air / tyre noise and radio / heaters etc. which the Tesla still has.
I agree, I found the same. Except I noticed that the stereo sounded better in the Tesla without the low pitched constant engine noise, that you subliminally learn to ignore, but is really obvious and irritating in stop/start traffic when the engine cuts in and out.