Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 pm ...then again Col, perhaps you are missing something...😉

F5AFE8C3-D434-4F82-A05B-1B1B41FEBE96.png
If you remember that this was 59 years ago, probably not, Paul.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

VanB

Post by VanB »

Ah the simplicity [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:13 pm Where is the luxury in a Model 3.
C15FB7E8-82BF-494A-BF02-B9A73086174F.png
Am I missing something?
You are missing the whole point of the car. TG did an interesting video review and concluded that the concept works surprisingly well. I have some minor reservations about the single touchscreen, but otherwise I quite like it. Simplicity can be a relaxing thing in a daily driver and by simple I don't mean basic. This car is a cutting edge tech fest behind the minimalist design.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:37 am
Am I missing something?
You are missing the whole point of the car. TG did an interesting video review and concluded that the concept works surprisingly well. I have some minor reservations about the single touchscreen, but otherwise I quite like it. Simplicity can be a relaxing thing in a daily driver and by simple I don't mean basic. This car is a cutting edge tech fest behind the minimalist design.
With respect, Pete, good tech it may well be but it is not good minimalist design. I would, in fact, go as far as to say that it is an insult to true minimalism. It strikes me as a being lazy solution with a strip of wood, some shiny bits and an oversized and obtrusive pad tacked on. Albeit the concept in the eyes of TG, who of course are the last word in objectivity and good design sense, may work, it takes more than simple functionality to provide a successful solution. The whole has to be aesthetically pleasing with each item being considered individually and in relation to the whole. And not just the individual items but the spaces as well. And finally the choice of materials: although we are unable to judge the quantity of the plastics the wood strip is simply banal, naff Americana. Once the obligatory bells and whistles are added we objectively have to ask ‘is this a £40K+ environment?’ IMHO the answer is a resounding no!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:11 pm
Am I missing something?
With respect, Pete, good tech it may well be but it is not good minimalist design. I would, in fact, go as far as to say that it is an insult to true minimalism. It strikes me as a being lazy solution with a strip of wood, some shiny bits and an oversized and obtrusive pad tacked on. Albeit the concept in the eyes of TG, who of course are the last word in objectivity and good design sense, may work, it takes more than simple functionality to provide a successful solution. The whole has to be aesthetically pleasing with each item being considered individually and in relation to the whole. And not just the individual items but the spaces as well. And finally the choice of materials: although we are unable to judge the quantity of the plastics the wood strip is simply banal, naff Americana. Once the obligatory bells and whistles are added we objectively have to ask ‘is this a £40K+ environment?’ IMHO the answer is a resounding no!
You seem to be focusing a lot on the wood strip, which is just one of several options. It wouldn't be my choice either, but the carbon and white options both look good IMHO. You call it a lazy solution, but it hides a very interesting venting solution with a single "Dyson blade" style vent as opposed to the usual individual vents that are relatively noisy and crude. So you don't agree with any of the reviews of the car unless they are negative. Fair enough, but I'd still choose this over the dark and dingy BMW 3-series or blinged up Merc C-class interiors any day.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:11 pm

You seem to be focusing a lot on the wood strip, which is just one of several options. It wouldn't be my choice either, but the carbon and white options both look good IMHO. You call it a lazy solution, but it hides a very interesting venting solution with a single "Dyson blade" style vent as opposed to the usual individual vents that are relatively noisy and crude. So you don't agree with any of the reviews of the car unless they are negative. Fair enough, but I'd still choose this over the dark and dingy BMW 3-series or blinged up Merc C-class interiors any day.
As the wooden strip is the principal promo pic they do set themselves up for criticism. No doubt the posher options are priced accordingly.

Yes, I still think it’s a lazy solution. I accept that it may cleverly conceal whatever it conceals but citing that as the raison d'être for the solution in its entirety is a bit flimsy.

And I don’t believe I said I disagreed with ‘any’ of the reviews, I merely questioned TG as the sole arbiter. Their review of the the Model S I found most definitely interesting and provoking.

Neither did I cite any other marque for comparison; I am simply criting what I see presented in the presumably official Tesla pic.

What I am saying, though is that in the right hands it certainly could have been and perhaps deserves to have been a whole lot better.
Deleted User 1874

I'm going to wait until I've seen a real one before deciding if it's good design or not. But nothing else in that class does anything for me.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

OMG the wood trim is an extra, I dare not look at how expensive it is.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

@Dandock, not everyone entirely agrees with your appraisal of the minimalism in the Model 3. But it certainly is divisive! I have a few reservations on the UI compared to the S/X, but I like what I've seen of the interior design so far and don't agree that it's a lazy solution - far from it actually. It's one of the boldest interior design statements I've ever seen. I would say it's the Germans, especially BMW, who have been lazy with interior design, churning out the same old interiors year after year with little or no innovation. Only the BMW i3 dares to be a bit different, but I'm not overly in love with the end result. Mercedes interiors are awful if you don't like bling, Audi interiors are okay, if a bit pretentious. Porsche interiors are conservative and dare I say a bit bland, especially in base spec. As I've said many times, you don't buy a Porsche for its interior design, although they have made considerable progress since the 996 and early Cayenne days, which had truly appalling interior design and tech! That said I owned a 996 Carrera and it was a great car to drive, despite an awful interior. If you don't like cheap looking plastic, you had better stay away from all classic 911s too! Again they drive well, but the interiors are awful, although I quite liked the interior ambience of the 911 2.4S I owned which was very simple, elegant and airy before they ruined it in the 80s with the naff centre console and even cheaper looking plastics and highly dubious seat fabrics. I digress, lol.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-mod ... er-sedan-1

https://www.gearbrain.com/tesla-model-3 ... 78610.html

https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-think ... ior-design
happy days

Post by happy days »

I must admit, I like reading Peteski's reports and his arguments for the car. It's nice to get a point of view from someone who actually drives one. From memory, I believe that Luke used to say pretty much the same thing, and there's no smoke without fire.

However, I too fall into the category that thinks the Teslas are all pretty ugly cars. Sorry.
Macan S D
718 S